5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2014 9:51 AM by Rick Gerard

Precomposed layer does not recognise opacity setting (bug)

Antvertigo Level 1

Hi

I have a very simple precomposed layer comprising a single text layer with a drop shadow (layer style). However, it does not recognise the opacity setting in the main layer, even when set to 0% and the playhead is not even on the layer. If I change the opacity in the precomposed layer I can see it coming through to the main layer, but changing the opacity in the main layer does nothing.

I have reported this to Adobe as a bug, anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Antony

Adobe-After-Effects-CC-2014.0-(13.0)ScreenSnapz001.png

• 1. Re: Precomposed layer does not recognise opacity setting (bug)
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There is no bug. You have enabled continuous rasterization/collapse transformations and use layer styles. This sort of combination can have all sorts of seemingly weird results, but is actually quite logical due to how it works. I really see nothing wrong in your screenshot based on that, but perhaps there is more going on that you are simply not telling us.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Precomposed layer does not recognise opacity setting (bug)
            Antvertigo Level 1

Thanks for replying.

I think I can cope with "all sorts of seemingly weird results" as long as they are predictable! I don't think it's predictable that you can still see a layer even when the play head is not even on the layer. You really see nothing wrong with that? Is it possible to give me a concise explanation? You're correct, in the sense that when I remove the layer style/drop shadow from the precomposed layer I get 'normal/predictable' opacity response, but why should it not work with it? What's happening? Obviously, there are fairly easy workarounds, but it does make me uneasy that I can't understand seemingly simple issues like this, even after using After Effects for a long time.

• 3. Re: Precomposed layer does not recognise opacity setting (bug)
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a fix. Apply a layer style to your pre-comp, then turn off the any styles. CR will now evaluate layer styles in your source comp and render them in the proper order.

Screen Shot 2014-07-01 at 7.08.00 AM.png

Why does that work? You have to understand how CR works. When you turn on Continuous Rasterization the layer type is identified before any effects or transformations take place. This is why you can scale a vector layer without problems if CR is turned on. This explains why a 3D pre-comp that contains a 2D layer will be rendered as a 2D layer.

When you apply a Layer Style you are changing the layer type in the same way you change a layer type from 2D to 3D. If you want to have transformations applied to the layer style in the source file you need to change the layer type of the pre-comp layer to Layer Styles.

• 4. Re: Precomposed layer does not recognise opacity setting (bug)
                Antvertigo Level 1

Many thanks Rick, that's really good to know. As I said before, all I wanted was to understand it and then I can have predictable results.

Do you have an explanation for the play head 'anomaly'?

• 5. Re: Precomposed layer does not recognise opacity setting (bug)
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would have to see all of the properties of your problem layer revealed and the pre-comp with all properties revealed . I could not reproduce the problem.