6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2014 10:56 AM by bogiesan

3D cube - composition faces not showing

wadepmurphy

Hello,

I have created a 3D cube with six faces, and I would like to have the same image composed for each face. I've set these up, but not all faces are showing on the cube. I'm not sure if there is a setting I don't have selected or what, but I'd appreciate any help I can get in getting this resolved. Also, any advice on the best way to animate the box (spin, etc.) would be helpful.

Thanks!

-Wade7-1-2014 9-59-41 AM.png

• 1. Re: 3D cube - composition faces not showing
          wadepmurphy Level 1

FYI, the red faces showing on most faces are the original faces - the cardboard-looking color seen is the desired look.

• 2. Re: 3D cube - composition faces not showing
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Most important - you are looking at the front view. This view will not render. You should be looking at the Active Camera. Here are some other questions.

First, I do not know what is in your pre-comps. Second, Why did you create 6 pre-comps if you want the same image on all 6 faces? I'm also curious why the background layer is 3D. This may cause issues if you add a camera. It looks to me like the right face of the box is either missing or transparent. I also do not know why there is a notch in the apparent right face of the box. This is probably due to looking at your project using the Front View.

Adding a light to your comp would help define the edges. Showing us what is in the pre-comps would help. There's just not enough information in your screenshot to figure out what is going on.

Screen Shot 2014-07-01 at 7.38.36 AM.png

• 3. Re: 3D cube - composition faces not showing
              bogiesan Level 4

Planes in AE have no thickness so they have only one face, visible from both sides, unless you are building the plane in an effect or filter that has backside options. You have not said how you generated these planes.

to animate a cube, you create a null object, make it 3D, place it in the center of the cube and parent all of the cube sides to the null. It's a simple and fun and elegant way to move a cube around but you must understand how nulls and parenting work. You will need to look those up and study the topics.

• 4. Re: 3D cube - composition faces not showing
                wadepmurphy Level 1

The answer to most of your questions is: because I'm new to After Effects. I've switched to Active Camera, thank you for that. It seems as if there is an issue involving layering. The cardboard face visible here is 'Top.' It's the top layered face. When I move it down in the order behind the 'Back' face for example, it then becomes transparent. Does this make sense? It's creating a rather frustrating issue. Again, I'm learning.

The original faces were red solids - I believe 400x400 pixels. All identical. Following a tutorial, I created comps for each with the cardboard look.

I'm inexperienced with the Light tool, but it sounds intriguing.

Thanks

• 5. Re: 3D cube - composition faces not showing
                  wadepmurphy Level 1

The answer to most of your questions is: because I'm new to After Effects. I've switched to Active Camera, thank you for that. It seems as if there is an issue involving layering. The cardboard face visible here is 'Top.' It's the top layered face. When I move it down in the order behind the 'Back' face for example, it then becomes transparent. Does this make sense? It's creating a rather frustrating issue. Again, I'm learning.

The original faces were red solids - I believe 400x400 pixels. All identical. Following a tutorial, I created comps for each with the cardboard look.

I'm inexperienced with the Light tool, but it sounds intriguing.

Thanks

2.png

• 6. Re: 3D cube - composition faces not showing
                    bogiesan Level 4

We knew you were new, welcome to the family.

AE is hard, really hard. You don't really understand how hard it's going to be. After Effects is big, really big. And when you start to explore AE's 3D abilities, the difficulty factor is squared, not just doubled.

Instead of posting beginner's questions like this here, you should buy a good AE book and get comfortable with the idea you must invest 40-80 hours just learning After Effects. You can find hundreds of beginner's tutorials on youtube but many of them suck to the point of being misleading. That's why you should get a book.