4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2014 12:22 PM by Leon70

ID to PDF background issues

Leon70

Hi guys, I am totally new to ID so please bear with me.
      - When converting/exporting from ID to PDF the background colour gets lost, all goes to white. (I have seen that this is actually a common problem and that there can be a number of causes. I cannot find the post where I read this (post removed). I have re installed all CC applications. Why does Adobe not resolve this issue?)
      - When I then change the background in the PDF file, it combines pages to spreads and brings out my text boxes.
      What to do?
      Regards
      Leon

• 1. Re: ID to PDF background issues
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You haven't really described what kind of background color you've got, or how you put it there.

IF YOU...

...have a color-filled shape as the rear-most object in your layout, and it doesn't show up in an exported PDF, it (the shape) is most likely set as non-printing, or resides on a non-printing layer.

...have edited the [Paper] swatch to make it a color other than white, that is only to simulate colored paper on your screen. It does not print. (Anything non-printing also does not export to PDF.)

• 2. Re: ID to PDF background issues
            Leon70 Level 1

Hi John, that is exactly what i did, color swatch paper color change... okay, at least now i know, thank you.
            How then do i get my background (paper) from white to another color for export, i really need this.
            Thank you again for your help, much appreciated.
            (Just some more info, this is for PDF Emag lay out design. I am no designer but due to certain issues i have to do it at this stage. Worked on Corel Draw before and someone told me that ID is a much better application to use, Must say that it does work a little bit better once you get the hang of the basics, and that the PDF conversion is better and less than 1/2 the size as when converting from Draw.)
            Regards
            Leon

• 3. Re: ID to PDF background issues
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How then do i get my background (paper) from white to another color for export

Leon, it is much like the first scenario I described in my original reply...

Use the Rectangle tool to make a rectangle the size of your page or larger, give it a color fill, and send it to the back of your layout either via Arrange commands or layer order.

• 4. Re: ID to PDF background issues
                Leon70 Level 1

Hi John, as easy as that... thanks a lot for the help. I would just like to know why the lady on the FB help desk could not help me with this a month ago.
                Have super day sir and again i thank you, appreciate your help.

Ragards