8 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2007 10:58 PM by ggshow

Maximum x/y coordinate

zaharije
      Is there any limit for x/y coordinate of MovieClip (real question is what is maximum x/y coordinate that MovieClip can have) ?

Thanks,
      Zaharije Pasalic
        • 1. Re: Maximum x/y coordinate
          tanenbaumm
          There is no real outer limit (or if there is, it's so high I've never hit it). Back in AS1 & 2 -- when you couldn't remove an object from the display list yet still keep it in memory -- I've routinely moved MCs off to 4000, just to have them out of my way. In any case, the limit is high enough that it's unlikely ever to be a problem for you.
          • 2. Re: Maximum x/y coordinate
            zaharije Level 1
            Thanks for quick reply.
            • 3. Re: Maximum x/y coordinate
              Rothrock Level 5
              I have seen the popular 16,000 or so pop up occasionally on the boards. It seems to be a range of 16000 so if you have something at -8000 and something else at 8000 you don't want to go any further!

The problems seem to pop up usually with the drawing API and occasionally someone seems to "lose" a movie clip.
              • 4. Re: Maximum x/y coordinate
                ggshow Level 2
                in flash 8, movieclip instance will lost its filters like glow & blur, when width or height is too large.

example,
                I have a movieclip 100px*100px of size, I apply glow filter on it, it works.
                if i set the movieclip instance width to 2500, it works still,
                but when i set the movieclip instance width to 3000, it lost all its filters.

not sure why, and not sure is the same problem happen on movieclip instance with x/y over a limit. may be someone here can explain.
                • 5. Re: Maximum x/y coordinate
                  Rothrock Level 5
                  There is a limit of 2880 by 2880 pixels for bitmaps. This also applies to imported bitmaps. And I think any movieclip that uses filters is cached as a bitmap. Right?
                  • 6. Re: Maximum x/y coordinate
                    ggshow Level 2
                    I know 2880 is the limit of stage size,
                    but the problem is.. it is not 2880..

try this file,

http://www.ggshow.com/files/blur.zip

the movieclip instance is missing when in 2840,
                    the blur effect is missing when in 2860
                    • 7. Re: Maximum x/y coordinate
                      Rothrock Level 5
                      Well that is very interesting. If I changed the filters to high quality then clips that were missing would come back, but without their filters.

I also adjusted them all so they were on whole pixels and all of integer height. Again I would get them all to show – as long as they were with high quality filters – but everything over 2840 didn't have its filter.

Don't know what to tell you other than 2840+19+19=2878 which is awfully close to 2880. Perhaps the glow filter sometimes has an extra sloppy pixel or two.

I guess the best advise is just to stay away from the 2800s!
                      • 8. Re: Maximum x/y coordinate
                        ggshow Level 2