8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2014 2:55 PM by Peru Bob

How do I get rid of these huge black borders?

ReaderTorture Level 1

I shoot videos at the 16:9 aspect ratio.  Then after importing them to PE 12 they have these huge black borders: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img819/5577/f8zw.jpg

What steps do I need to take to get rid of the huge black borders?

• 1. Re: How do I get rid of these huge black borders?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That indicates that your edit project does not match your video

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has links about project settings

• 2. Re: How do I get rid of these huge black borders?
            ReaderTorture Level 1

In other words, you can't be bothered to explain to me why the black borders appear and how to get rid of them. 

• 3. Re: How do I get rid of these huge black borders?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ReaderTorture

Let us get to work finding out why the black borders in your Edit area monitor. From the looks of your screenshot you are working with Premiere Elements 12 on some version of Windows.

1. Properties of Source Media

Do you know the properties of the image that we are seeing in the Edit are monitor in your screenshot - especially

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

2. Project Preset

(See the following for what you or the program set as the project preset - Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel aspect ration even if the fields look grayed out.)

From that information, we should be able to tell what is going on.

If you let the program set the project preset, you may have to set it manually yourself to get the right setting.

There is always the possibility that your source has an atypical frame size when it comes to the available project presets. But we should be

able to sort this out.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I get rid of these huge black borders?
                ReaderTorture Level 1

The program destroys my work like this: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img849/4830/qqua4.jpg

So I'm just going to have to find some other non-Adobe video editing software.

• 5. Re: How do I get rid of these huge black borders?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ReaderTorture

Not Adobe here. Just user to user. You are not going to get up that easily?

If you decide you want help, I would be glad for the opportunity to assist you in answering your original question and other workflow problems.

1. Old business. What are the properties of what you are putting on your Timeline? And, are you letting the program set the project preset for you?

Need to know most - frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, and then video compression, audio compression, file extension. I will settle for the frame size and the pixel aspect ratio (4:3 or 16:9) first.

2. New business. Does your screenshot reflect the fact that you cannot open your project that you saved closed (the one with the black borders)?

For troubleshooting purposes, can you open a new project?

My plan....if you can open a new project, let us work out the details of your source media with no black borders in the Edit area monitor.

And then next, let us try to salvage your prior project, probably using the techniques cited in the Adobe document on Troubleshooting damaged

projects

Troubleshoot damaged projects | Adobe Premiere Elements

I will fine tune if it comes to that.

Let me know your decision. If you want to work with us on this, I will go the extra mile to see that you move forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

But, I will need the details I requested in the order that I believe will get us to an overall success.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I get rid of these huge black borders?
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ReaderTorture wrote:

In other words, you can't be bothered to explain to me why the black borders appear and how to get rid of them.

I am not at YOUR computer, looking at YOUR video and YOUR settings... if you can't be bothered to read how to do something, and you also can't be bothered to reply when someone else trying to help asks for information, then I guess you do need other software... and hope that everything works using an automatic transmission so you don't have to learn how to learn any manual settings

And, the 4th and 5th links at the link I first posted would have helped a lot

Importing Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1065281

-and project settings http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1112086

• 7. Re: How do I get rid of these huge black borders?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ReaderTorture

Please do not get detoured or discouraged.

I have stated my offer to help (extra mile approach) and have stated my plan. And, I will work with you on your troubleshooting at whatever pace you prefer.

I am trying to say "Do not put yourself at a disadvantage by walking away because of the comments and opinions of others." We all are eager for your success.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I get rid of these huge black borders?
                        Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may want to take note of the fact that John and ATR have had thousands of their replies to those seeking help marked as "Correct."  If you adjust your attitude and cooperate by supplying requested information, you are likely to have a solution to your problem provided.