5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2014 5:23 AM by David Halperin

Limited batch file renaming options?

David Halperin

When batch-renaming a group of files, (currently using LR4 under Mac OS X 10.6.8) I can't see any way to do a simple sequential increment of a file number. For example, my files are typically numbered in the format "D 123456." I want to rename a new batch as D 123457, D 123458, D 123459, D 123460 etc. I cannot see an option in LR that will do that — all choices involve sequencing with -1, -2, -3 etc., or else "1 of 4" or dates or other non-useful (to me) text. Am I missing something or is this seemingly very simple thing impossible in LR? (My old MS Expression Media management application is far superior in this respect: I have total flexibility in file renaming.) Thanks for any advice.

• 1. Re: Limited batch file renaming options?
          Bob Somrak Level 5

Just use Custom Settings in the Remame Dialog

Screen Shot 2014-07-01 at 1.46.35 PM.png

• 2. Re: Limited batch file renaming options?
            David Halperin Level 1

Thanks, that works...sort of. But (a) it inserts a hyphen between the text and the number. My filing system does not use hyphens there. And (b) you can't add another line of text afterwards. So you can't name files "D 34567 Paris, D 34568 Paris" etc. Not very satisfactory. This can't be that hard; as I mentioned, the nearly-obsolete Microsoft Expression Media does it, as does its successor Media Pro and its ancestor, going back 20 years, iView. But thanks anyway for the pointer.

• 3. Re: Limited batch file renaming options?
              Bob Somrak Level 5

David Halperin wrote:

Thanks, that works...sort of. But (a) it inserts a hyphen between the text and the number. My filing system does not use hyphens there. `

If you are getting a hyphen you are using the rename dialog WRONG.  As you can see in the screen clip in my previous message there is NO hyphen in the "Example" text.  I tried this on a file and it works exactly as you requested.  As for adding Paris to the end, you did not mention this in your original post but his can be done using metadata.  Lightroom is designed to use keywords to find/file photos instead of exotic filenames.  That being said, I agree the filenaming is not very robust in Lightroom but there is probably a rename plugin available that will do what you want. 

• 4. Re: Limited batch file renaming options?
                Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I know where you're coming from, I still have a copy of Media Pro and it comes in handy sometimes. But there's no reason to prematurely judge Lightroom in this area. If you study the file renaming template editor you'll find that you can quickly customize the tokens and enter custom text in a way that'll generate the sequence you want:

Lightroom-5-file-rename-template-editor.jpg

The reason Lightroom puts in a dash is ensure compatibility with multiple file systems. But it's an option you can turn off. Note that this is in the Preferences dialog box because it affects any time Lightroom names or renames a file.

Lightroom-5-preferences-File-Handling.jpg

There's only one major way in which Lightroom batch renaming falls short: You can't batch find and replace text within the filename. Media Pro, Bridge, and many other free/cheap utilities can, but of course renaming files outside of Lightroom is not a good idea. Other than that, Lightroom can usually rename files as needed. In most other ways Lightroom is far better than Media Pro ever was.

• 5. Re: Limited batch file renaming options?
                  David Halperin Level 1

Ah! Now I get it! Thanks very much to you and to Bob for the valuable help.

Conrad Chavez <mailto:forums_noreply@adobe.com>

July 1, 2014 9:24 PM

>

Limited batch file renaming options?

created by Conrad Chavez <https://forums.adobe.com/people/SaturnV> in

/Photoshop Lightroom/ - View the full discussion

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/6514747#6514747>