6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2014 7:05 AM by mehmet guven

Lock Appearance to 1 Digital ID

BNITurbines

I have created Digital ID's and locked them down with passwords. I have also created a signature file (*.pdf) that I can pickup in the Appearance.

The problem I have is that I have several PC's that are used by different people. One of my users picked up the wrong signature appearance. So the document looks like his boss signed the document but the digital id is his.

Is there a way to Lock an Appearance to 1 Digital ID?

I have Adobe Acrobat XI. Users have Adobe Reader XI.

• 1. Re: Lock Appearance to 1 Digital ID
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Don’t these people have different logons? Don’t you prohibit users from using files from other users?

• 2. Re: Lock Appearance to 1 Digital ID
            Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Also, if people are looking at the appearance instead of checking the signature properly, the whole exercise is a complete waste of time. Appearances should be banned, because it leads people into this trap. Maybe you can use this as a good opportunity to train people in the correct verification of signatures.

• 3. Re: Lock Appearance to 1 Digital ID
              BNITurbines Level 1

Hi Michael and Test,

All my users have different logons. The issue is that they are not always at their own desk when they need to approve things. We have 5 buildings and to go back to your own desk to approve an item wastes time.

We put the PFX files in a common network drive along with the signatures. Yes, we can see who signed the document under the signature panel. If I have to put the files on each machine under their own sign-on that will be fine.

I was just looking for a simple answer to my question.

Is there a way to Lock an Appearance to 1 Digital ID?

The Appearance doesn't have to be a signature file. It can be a combination of some of the Configuration selections (IE. name, date, Distinguished name...)

• 4. Re: Lock Appearance to 1 Digital ID
                MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The product was not designed as you are using it. If you can give each user a roaming profile and restrict access to their documents then you will not have this problem. They will bring their appearance with them to the new location. Appearances can be uploaded to a folder on a network drive which only the user has access to. Giving everyone access to the same appearance is looking for trouble when you are trying to make digital signatures airtight secure.

And yes, appearances are an issue, but I know in the environment I work in people are more comfortable with the appearance than the digital signature. That may change, but probably not in my lifetime.

• 5. Re: Lock Appearance to 1 Digital ID
                  BNITurbines Level 1

Hi Michael,

That is exactly what I was thinking. I could restrict access to the files further to prevent mistakes. I work with a great bunch of people and there is a lot of trust between the employees. We were just trying to prevent mistakes in the future.

We have decided to drop the signature portion and have everyone use the standard appearance. We will rely on the password protected digital signature.

We were just hoping to be able to change a .config, .ini or registry to default what we wanted. We were surprised that there is no way to lock all of the pieces to a password.

• 6. Re: Lock Appearance to 1 Digital ID
                    mehmet guven

may be you can write a new little software program, to solve this problem.