2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2014 2:33 PM by trshaner

Print module > Print to file - sharpness issue

jaladix

I've been using the print module to create diptychs for my site and have found that when using "print to file" to create jpgs, the images lose their sharpness.  I'm saving them at 1000px on long side and 100 ppi.  When I export images from the other modules (at same sizing and quality), they keep their sharpness.  It's only in the print module that I'm experiencing this.  I'd like to avoid using "Print Sharpening" in the print module if at all possible.  Thank you.

• 1. Re: Print module > Print to file - sharpness issue
          jaladix Level 1

Any suggests as to how I can get this question answered?  Should I try another support forum?  I can do this in photoshop, but it would be a huge time-saver if I could figure this out in LR. 

• 2. Re: Print module > Print to file - sharpness issue
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jaladix wrote:

I've been using the print module to create diptychs for my site and have found that when using "print to file" to create jpgs, the images lose their sharpness.  I'm saving them at 1000px on long side and 100 ppi.  When I export images from the other modules (at same sizing and quality), they keep their sharpness.  It's only in the print module that I'm experiencing this.  I'd like to avoid using "Print Sharpening" in the print module if at all possible.  Thank you.

A couple of things to point out. When resizing an image file it is imperative to add output sharpening. Selecting Low Glossy in Print Sharpening is probably very close to Standard Screen Sharpening setting in the Export module, which is suitable for Web posted images or other "screen" viewing. In addition the Export module Image Sizing 'Resolution' field only effects the image size when using Width & Height or Dimensions with in or cm settings. Selecting 1000px Long Side ignores the Resolution field concerning the image resizing.