8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2014 2:06 PM by A.T. Romano

changing the color of an element in a video

adobenewbie123 Level 1

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 10.

I found a great clip from istock that I would love to purchase and use in my film.   However, before I lay out the money, I want to first make sure I can do a certain edit in Elements.

Basically the clip is a bunch of skeletons floating in a liquid.  I would like to change the color of the liquid to an off-white or a yellowish white color.  The two clips I found have either a yellowish green liquid or a red liquid.  Here are those 2 examples:

http://www.istockphoto.com/video/hd-death-bath-loopable-background-29009562?st=0b7e19a

HD: Bloodbath Loopable background stock video 29005000 - iStock

So I wanted to find out if it is even possible to change the color of the liquid , how I could do that and which of the 2 clips makes the most sense for me to purchase and then make it turn more of a milky white.

Thanks for your time!!!

• 1. Re: changing the color of an element in a video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

After due consideration and weighing all factors, you should be able to do a decent job of color changing in Premiere Elements 10

Edit Header/Effects/Video Effects/Adjust with the selection of the Image Control Effect which has 4 components

Brightness

Contrast

Hue

Saturation

Target the Hue under Edit Effects.

There are other lures in the Effects for doing this, but I think this should be what you seek in version 10.

Please let us know the outcome. You do not have to purchase stock clips to find out if it will work for you. Try it out

on the footage you have. No guarantees, but this looks like it.

We will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 2. Re: changing the color of an element in a video
            adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hey ATR

I was a little confused by your "edit-header" note above as I do not see such a function in premiere.   I only see "edit" but without the "header" so not  sure I  went into the right section. I tried the following...edit -effects image control.  (I could not find anything called "adjust" either.)  However under image control, I found some of the same settings you mention above.  (brightness/contrast and hue saturation)   I included a screenshot of this section I am referring to.  It did not seem like changing the hue saturation was able to change the color from green too white.  Would love to find out if I am going in the right direction...

EDIT-HEADER.png

• 3. Re: changing the color of an element in a video
              A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Yes, you found the Image Control that I pointed you to.

10-Effects.jpg

After you apply the Image Effect to the clip, then "Edit Effects" at the bottom left of the Effects Palatte to get to

Properties Palette and the Image Control Panel with its options which include Brightness, Contrast, Hue, and

Saturation.

10Edit-Effects.jpg

With a combination of settings I was able to make the following green to light yellowish white color. But, the answer will

be in you applying this idea to your specific image to assure that the clarity of the image detail is not lost.

NOW.JPG

ATR

• 4. Re: changing the color of an element in a video
                adobenewbie123 Level 1

Okay it worked like a charm!  Thanks ATR!!! The problem was I thought that hue and saturation were the same category since only hue has a sliding bar. It was visually confusing so thanks for sending screenshots.  that was really helpful.  I am goig to try the same approach on the second video and see if I can turn the red to white as well.  Below is a screenshot of my most recent attempt on the green:

green-to-white.png

• 5. Re: changing the color of an element in a video
                  adobenewbie123 Level 1

So I tried the red and that did not work as well.  So green seems to be the way to go.  This time, I am including  a video of my latest attempt, playing  with the hue, brightness, contrast and  saturation.

http://www.holdthatmayo.com/?p=813&preview=1&_ppp=ae55922678

I can live with this but you can still see some elements of green.  When I toggle the effect off, I noticed those are the darker green areas from the original, that are still showing up, more as a gray-ish green.  I wondering if there are any additional effects I could add, to make the liquid seem cloudier, whiter and/or milkier.  Or perhaps there is a way to add some fog or smoke to help distract from the green areas.  Curious to get feedback.

Thanks!!

• 6. Re: changing the color of an element in a video
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Quick note for now....especially for the red version, please look at

Image Control and the choices there for Color Balance (HLS) and Tint.

Note that under Edit/Effects/Video Effects/, there is a category named Adjust with an Image Control choice (that is the one we have been targeting).

But there is also an Image Control category which includes the Color Balance (HLS) and Tint choices.

ATR

• 7. Re: changing the color of an element in a video
                      adobenewbie123 Level 1

That did help!  Not so much with the color balance HLS but the tint.  I mapped black to white and white to white in the tint settings area and it seems to help fill out those grayish green ares nicely.

Thanks you!!

• 8. Re: changing the color of an element in a video
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Thanks for the follow up. Great news. Great job.

ATR