6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2014 9:20 AM by Danny Whitehead.

Paragraph styles

Baseline

Hi- I'm returning to page design after long career as an Visual Journalist.

Question: When laying out any brochure and after placing text do you go through this text assigning fonts font styles font sizes indentations ect., return, reselect the fonts and assign it a paragraph style? Or do you create your paragraph styles first?

Seems like it would be difficult to create paragraph styles when you're still in the early design stages of your layouts.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Paragraph styles
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Create the paragraph the way you want. With it selected, choose new

paragraph style from the paragraph styles panel menu. It will be created

using the attributes of the selected paragraph.

• 2. Re: Paragraph styles
            Baseline Level 1

Don't you need to go through the paragraph and assign individual paragraph styles?

Head

Subhead

Body

Caption

ect.

• 3. Re: Paragraph styles
              Derek Cross Level 6

You can set them either way, i.e. you can set the paragraph the way you want it to look and then assign a Paragraph Style to it (as Bob describes above) or alternatively set up the styles first in the Paragraph Styles panel and then assign them to your text.

Also, understand about Character Styles. That is where you apply a style such as bold and/or italic within a paragraph style.

And, of course, there's also Object Styles, for guess what – Yes – applying style to objects, such as fills and borders.

• 4. Re: Paragraph styles
                Baseline Level 1

Thanks Bob let me try to illustrate my confusion.

Example paragraph with subheads, body text and paragraph indention.

1. I would drop in text.  2. Go through text selecting and assigning font styles 3. Select new formatted  subhead....create new paragraph style....select text paragraph...assign new paragraph style.

The quick brown dog......... Subhead with font styles

Aconsequis doluptur ma.......Body text font with paragraph indent

pel ipsanihit lam, que voloria
                comnis moluptas et molendi di

• 5. Re: Paragraph styles
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If your text is formatted consistently, but has no styles assigned, Jongware's script might be useful: PerfectPrepText: A smart way to style local ... - InDesign Secrets

• 6. Re: Paragraph styles
                    Danny Whitehead. Level 4

If I'm starting with raw, unformatted text, I tend to establish my Body Paragraph Style first, and apply that to all the text. Then I'll select a paragraph that I want to be in the next style up the hierarchy (say Subhead), create a new Paragraph Style and define its attributes. Then I'll make my Heading style based on the Subheading style. That way, everything is inherited from that Body style, so if you want to, say, change the font throughout the document, you go back and edit the Body style.

Also, you can assign shortcut keys to Paragraph Styles for quicker application.