9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2014 6:02 PM by areohbee

No Lightroom for me then

antonsolovyev

Mac OS X, "Download Lightroom free trial", click, "Lightroom wants to make changes, give us all your money and keys to your house... er root password", the end.

See, I don't give admin access to my machine to strangers, that includes you, Adobe. I am pretty sure nobody is listening, so this is just a rant. But anyway: Adobe, you need to get a clue and start distributing your app as installable by drag-copy, w/o root access. There's no reason for an image processing app to require admin access to my box. So why?

Bye now, I'll check in again a few years.

P.S. If there's a way to try out Lightroom w/o giving aways keys to my house... er root password to my Mac, please let me know.

• 1. Re: No Lightroom for me then
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you have totally misinterpreted what is being asked for. YOU might have to have administrative rights to install the program, but you aren't giving any of that information to Adobe.

• 2. Re: No Lightroom for me then
            antonsolovyev Level 1

Of course you do give any and all information to Adobe. Once you gave the installer admin rights it's free to do whatever it wants to your machine. As Mac OS puts it "wants to make changes". Well, an image processing app is not "making changes" on my box. There's perfectly adequate way to install software on a Mac by copying ("dragging") an app to wherever you want. It should be enough for everyone, unless you have some special circumstances, like loading kernel modules or installing system wide libs.

• 3. Re: No Lightroom for me then

Okay, what ever. I don't like to discuss things with conspiracy theorists. Move on to something else. I'll just keep using Lightroom.

• 4. Re: No Lightroom for me then
                antonsolovyev Level 1

The answer: download LR .pkg (not the cloud version, search from Google), extract the package (pkgutil, gunzip, cpio), copy to wherever you like enjoy. No "install" needed.

• 5. Re: No Lightroom for me then

I guess the standalone version was my point of reference because that is what I am using. I have not installed the CC version, and have no plans to do so in the future. That's what I couldn't see how I would be giving any information to Adobe during the installation of Lightroom on my computer.

• 6. Re: No Lightroom for me then
                    antonsolovyev Level 1

I am quite impressed with the shadow/highlight tools. Anybody know how they work behind the scenes? I would be hard pressed to accomplish the same result with curves, but it seems it should be possible to express pulling up shadows in the terms of curves. Is pulling up shadows and toning down highlights ethically accepted? I would like to do as little processing as possible to my images. I guess it ought to be fine, since the same result can be achieved by tweaking in-camera JPEG processor...

Jim, thanks for help.

• 7. Re: No Lightroom for me then
                      areohbee Level 5

antonsolovyev wrote:

it seems it should be possible to express pulling up shadows in the terms of curves.

It's not.

Curves: what goes up must come down. i.e. you can't increase contrast anywhere without decreasing it somewhere else.

PV2012: -highlights: de-brightens highlights without decreasing midtone contrast. Likewise, +shadows brightens shadows without decreasing midtone contrast.

PV2010: +fill brightened entire image (shadows most) without decreasing midtone contrast, but did it according to a different algorithm than PV2012.

There was a link to a white paper describing algorithm details, but you have to have a Ph.D in mathematics to understand it .

Enjoy!

Rob

• 8. Re: No Lightroom for me then
                        antonsolovyev Level 1

Thanks! I'll search for the white paper (got some training). If you find  the link, please share. Thanks again.

• 9. Re: No Lightroom for me then
                          areohbee Level 5

I think there is a link somewhere in the Lightroom 4 beta forum - Jeff Schewe posted it..