7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2014 2:03 PM by Ryan.Polei

Develop Mode Auto Adjustments

mxpx8690

Hello,

When I am loading RAW files in to LR, in the Develop mode they start off as a pretty flat image (as I shot them) but then LR slowly adjusts each photos as it loads which looks like it is bumping the saturation and contrast then lowering the exposure.

What are these auto adjustments and how can I turn them off? I would rather edit my images as shot in camera, not after LR makes its own adjustments without my help.

• 1. Re: Develop Mode Auto Adjustments
          dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom first displays the JPG preview until it can render the RAW, and from then on it shows you its default rendering of the RAW photo perhaps with a develop preset applied.

If the sliders for most of the Basic Panel are at zero (except tint and temperature), then this is Lightroom's default rendering. If they are at some other value, then you most likely have applied a preset when you are importing. Another possibility is that you have accidentally changed the defaults. In the develop module, use Develop->Set Default Settings->Restore Adobe Default SEttings.

• 2. Re: Develop Mode Auto Adjustments
            mxpx8690 Level 1

Thanks, that solves it.

• 3. Re: Develop Mode Auto Adjustments
              Ryan.Polei

OK, I actually figured out what was up.

When you import RAW files in to LR, at first it just shows your camera settings preview image (what you see in the viewfinder when reviewing a photo, should match your custom or selected color profile settings in camera) then LR just applies its own ****** camera calibration on what Adobe "thinks" is best.

To keep Adobe from modifying your photos (over saturating) go to a photo in the Develop Module, go down to Camera Calibration and change it from Adobe Standard to Camera Faithful or make your own.

Then go to Develop > set default settings and lock that **** down. This won't change all your photos immediately though, you will need to copy the calibration setting on your current photo and paste it to the rest.

I don't know why a photo editing software thinks it can "figure out" what your photos should look like out of camera, that is your job.

• 4. Re: Develop Mode Auto Adjustments
                dj_paige Level 9

I don't know why a photo editing software thinks it can "figure out" what your photos should look like out of camera, that is your job.

I think you have it backwards

Lightroom is doing no such thing, it is not trying to figure out what the photo should look like ... it is giving you a relatively unedited version of what your sensor saw, with default settings, and then its up to you.

By the way, the in-camera software that creates the JPG is indeed trying to "figure out" what the photo should look like, and giving you its best effort. It is actively and aggressively modifying the RAW sensor data to try to come up with a pleasing photo.

• 5. Re: Develop Mode Auto Adjustments
                  Ryan.Polei Level 1

Yeah but when I spend time making a custom profile in camera to shoot with that is super flat then pull it into LR and Adobe automatically adds an Adobe Profile over my custom profile altering the in camera image I shot, something is wrong.

This doesn't happen in Bridge so I don't see why Adobe tweaks it for you in LR before you edit, I would rather handle my own adjustments and no let a computer try and figure it out before I give it a crack.

• 6. Re: Develop Mode Auto Adjustments
                    areohbee Level 5

Ryan.Polei wrote:

This doesn't happen in Bridge

The difference: Lightroom is a raw editor, Bridge is not.

So, Bridge shows you what the camera did (if unedited raw file) instead of what it would look like with Lightroom edits. And Lightroom edits have to start somewhere, and that somewhere CAN'T be the same as the jpeg, or the same as another raw editing software (they use different settings, different software, different starting point..).

Don't get me wrong: I think Adobe should have better support for displaying embedded preview / sidecar jpegs (which is what Bridge does), and have an option to detect in camera profile setting and select a "nearest fit" Lightroom profile, but none of that will change the basic "deal" - different software, different settings, different starting point...

Note: this may seem odd to you now, but it's how all proprietary raw editors work, i.e. all those except the camera manufacturer's own (or those using the camera manufacturer's raw-rendering toolkit under the hood, instead of it's own), which emulates in-camera settings pretty-much exactly - no others can interpret a custom picture style, granted some may try to start with a somewhat closer look.

To review: all proprietary raw software does the same thing: interpret raw data according to invented algorithms and settings. That's what Lightroom software does, and that's what Capture NX2 does (and that's what your camera firmware does to come up with the jpegs), but they are different software, with different algorithms, which use different settings.

So your choices are:

* shoot jpeg

* use the camera manufacturer's software to process, or

* wean yourself from custom camera styles and learn to setup Lightroom processing instead.

PS - I recommend the later. Actually, you can use a plugin to somewhat translate camera settings to Lightroom settings, but I don't recommend doing it, because it tends to prolong your dependency on camera settings, rather than wean.

My advice? - Learn to use Lightroom (and get it set up optimally for your druthers) for post-production, and forget about camera settings whilst shooting (except for exposure and focusing etc., of course). Then, delete all the custom profiles you created in your camera, for therapeutic purposes .

Rob

• 7. Re: Develop Mode Auto Adjustments
                      Ryan.Polei Level 1

OK this really maps out a lot, thanks for your detailed advice. I hadn't realized a handful of these points.