11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2014 3:12 PM by Robhockey10

Adobe Premier Elements 12

Robhockey10 Level 1

When I play my video on QuickTime the quality is perfect but if I import the video in Adobe Premier Elements 12 the quality is bad !

• 1. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 12
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you sure that your project settings match your video?

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has links about creating a new project (I think 4th & 5th links)

• 2. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 12
            A.T. Romano Level 7

robhockey10

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Have you updated it from 12 to 12.1 via the program's Help Menu/Update. If not, please do so.

Please tell us the properties of the video that you are importing into Premiere Elements and/or the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video.

I am looking for

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

pixel aspect ratio

I will help you with this further if you cannot find the information.

What did the project (automatically) or you (manually) set as the project preset for this project so that the project preset would match the properties of the source media? If you do not know, please tell us the readings for Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio, even if the fields look grayed out.

When you import your video into the project, how are you doing that - Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the video to the Timeline or other. Are you working in the Expert or Quick workspace?

Where is the bad quality video showing up....right after it is dragged to the Timeline and viewed in the Edit area monitor? If so, does that video on the Timeline have an orange colored line over it or no colored line? At any time, do you attempt to render the video there to get the best possible preview of what you are seeing in the Edit area monitor?

The information above is customized to what you reported and cuts to the important details whose answers will lead to problem resolution.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 12
              Robhockey10 Level 1

Hello A.T Romano

I have a Mac

Logiciel : OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)

Processeur  1,6 GHz Intel Core i5

Mémoire  4 Go 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphisme  Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 Mo

I am filming with a Gopro:

format: 1280 × 960

H.264, AAC

HD (1-1-1)

Audio: 2

Size: 289,5 Mo

I can’t change my settings because the fields are grayed out:

HD1080i

25,00Pic/sec

size picture : 1920/1080

Audio : 48000 Hz

I drag the video into the timeline.

When the video is on pause, then the quality is perfect and when I press play it get’s bad. There is no orange line.

Thank you,

Robhockey10

Le 2 juil. 2014 à 19:22, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com> a écrit :

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

robhockey10

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Have you updated it from 12 to 12.1 via the program's Help Menu/Update. If not, please do so.

Please tell us the properties of the video that you are importing into Premiere Elements and/or the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video.

I am looking for

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

pixel aspect ratio

I will help you with this further if you cannot find the information.

What did the project (automatically) or you (manually) set as the project preset for this project so that the project preset would match the properties of the source media? If you do not know, please tell us the readings for Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio, even if the fields look grayed out.

When you import your video into the project, how are you doing that - Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the video to the Timeline or other. Are you working in the Expert or Quick workspace?

Where is the bad quality video showing up....right after it is dragged to the Timeline and viewed in the Edit area monitor? If so, does that video on the Timeline have an orange colored line over it or no colored line? At any time, do you attempt to render the video there to get the best possible preview of what you are seeing in the Edit area monitor?

The information above is customized to what you reported and cuts to the important details whose answers will lead to problem resolution.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6516878#6516878

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 4. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

robhockey10

Thanks for the reply.

Please excuse the comments if I am mentioning somethings that you are already aware of. But I did not want to take anything for granted.

1. Fish-eye look of 1280 x 960. This is characteristic of the GoPro 1280 x 960 choice. Some have opted to correct this look with 3rd party software before

the file is imported into Premiere Elements.

2. Your project settings are for a 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second and your source is 1280 x 960 4:3 @ presumed 25 progressive frames per second. Under those conditions, you should be seeing an orange line over your Timeline. This orange line indicates that you are not seeing the best possible preview as reflected in the playback of that Timeline content in the Edit area monitor.

a. You cannot make significant changes in project settings in Edit Menu/Project Settings/ once the project preset has been set. Adobe party line is that you cannot change the project settings once they are set. But, I have shown that it can be done under certain conditions. But, I will not detour into that at the moment. If you want to read about this later if needed.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Changing Project Settings Without Starting A New Project

b. When the project is not giving you or cannot give you the correct project preset, you can set the project preset manually as described in the following.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

Reminder: there is no 1280 x 960 4:3 project preset in Premiere Elements (any version) to date.

Under the conditions that you describe, as a first look at this issue, please explore the following....

a. From the Edit area monitor, scale (width & height together) the 1280 x 960 to fill the 1920 x 1080 space in the Edit area monitor.

b. Hit the Enter key of the computer keyboard or the Render button above the program's Expert workspace Timeline in order to render

the Timeline content and get the best possible preview. The orange line will turn green when the Timeline rendering process is completed.

c. What does that look like?

How do you intend to export your Timeline - as 1280 x 960 or other? If 1280 x 960, I will suggest a workflow, including export details other than mentioned above.

We will be watching for your results and progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 12
                  Robhockey10 Level 1

Hello A.T. Romano

All this is much to complicated for me… Can you just say wat I have to do clearly!?

Thank a lot for your time,

Robhockey10

Le 9 juil. 2014 à 17:11, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com> a écrit :

robhockey10

Thanks for the reply.

Please excuse the comments if I am mentioning somethings that you are already aware of. But I did not want to take anything for granted.

1. Fish-eye look of 1280 x 960. This is characteristic of the GoPro 1280 x 960 choice. Some have opted to correct this look with 3rd party software before

the file is imported into Premiere Elements.

2. Your project settings are for a 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second and your source is 1280 x 960 4:3 @ presumed 25 progressive frames per second. Under those conditions, you should be seeing an orange line over your Timeline. This orange line indicates that you are not seeing the best possible preview as reflected in the playback of that Timeline content in the Edit area monitor.

a. You cannot make significant changes in project settings in Edit Menu/Project Settings/ once the project preset has been set. Adobe party line is that you cannot change the project settings once they are set. But, I have shown that it can be done under certain conditions. But, I will not detour into that at the moment. If you want to read about this later if needed.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Changing Project Settings Without Starting A New Project

b. When the project is not giving you or cannot give you the correct project preset, you can set the project preset manually as described in the following.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

Reminder: there is no 1280 x 960 4:3 project preset in Premiere Elements (any version) to date.

Under the conditions that you describe, as a first look at this issue, please explore the following....

a. From the Edit area monitor, scale (width & height together) the 1280 x 960 to fill the 1920 x 1080 space in the Edit area monitor.

b. Hit the Enter key of the computer keyboard or the Render button above the program's Expert workspace Timeline in order to render

the Timeline content and get the best possible preview. The orange line will turn green when the Timeline rendering process is completed.

How do you intend to export your Timeline - as 1280 x 960 or other? If 1280 x 960, I will suggest a workflow, including export details other than mentioned above.

We will be watching for your results and progress.

Thank you.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6535855#6535855

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 6. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Robhockey10

Thanks for the reply. Glad for the opportunity to clarify. Post 4 was meant to give you the background in trying to find out why your GoPro 1280 x 960 was importing so badly for you. Most likely project settings since many have had great success in this goal. And, from your own information, you are using a 16:9 project preset for a 4:3 source. But, as I wrote, "as a first look at this issue"...

With your video on the Expert workspace Timeline....

Do you know how to do what is requested in the above?

a. click on the Edit area monitor to bring up the image's bounding box...then click drag on one of the handles of that bounding box to scale the image to just fit the space in the monitor

b and c.  the rest is self explanatory.

Please let us know the results and what your intended export is going to be.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 12
                      Robhockey10 Level 1

AT Romano

I have understood what I have to do but I can’t change any number in the edit area! The zone is grey..

Robhockey10

Le 9 juil. 2014 à 19:43, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com> a écrit :

Robhockey10

Thanks for the reply. Glad for the opportunity to clarify. Post 4 was meant to give you the background in trying to find out why your GoPro 1280 x 960 was importing so badly for you. Most likely project settings since many have had great success in this goal. And, from your own information, you are using a 16:9 project preset for a 4:3 source. But, as I wrote, "as a first look at this issue"...

With your video on the Expert workspace Timeline....

Do you know how to do what is requested in the above?

a. click on the Edit area monitor to bring up the image's bounding box...then click drag on one of the handles of that bounding box to scale the image to just fit the space in the monitor

b and c.  the rest is self explanatory.

Please let us know the results and what your intended export is going to be.

Thank you.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6536383#6536383

• 8. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Robhockey10

Thanks for the reply. There is no changing of any numbers in the Edit area for what I described, so the following are some screenshots of what I had intended.

The bottom line question is: after all the steps cited below and applied to your situation, does the image look OK now?

STEP 1.

This represents your 4:3 image in an Edit monitor set for 16:9.

STEP 1.JPG

STEP 2.

This is the view of the image bounding box in the image after you have clicked on the screen to bring up the bounding box with its handles.

STEP-2.JPG

STEP 3

This is the view after you have clicked and dragged on one of the bounding box handles so that the image just fits the 1920 x 1080 16:9 space.

STEP 3.JPG

STEP4

Note the orange line over the Timeline content. That is the program telling you that you are not getting the best preview at playback in the Edit area

monitor. So, after you hit the Enter key of the computer keyboard or the Render button above the Timeline, the line should go from orange to

green, indicating that you are now seeing the best possible preview in that monitor.

STEP-4.jpg

Bottom line question: After all of the above, does the image end up looking OK as compared to what you were seeing before?

Looking forward to your results. Then we can decide what next if indicated.

Thanks

ATR

• 9. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 12
                          Robhockey10 Level 1

ATR

Thanks fit your nice reply. I did all the steps and I have the green line but the quality of my video is not better

Le 9 juil. 2014 à 21:09, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com> a écrit :

Robhockey10

Thanks for the reply. There is no changing of any numbers in the Edit area for what I described, so the following are some screenshots of what I had intended.

The bottom line question is: after all the steps cited below and applied to your situation, does the image look OK now?

STEP 1.

This represents your 4:3 image in an Edit monitor set for 16:9.

https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-6536806-652696/450-270/STEP+1 .JPG

STEP 2.

This is the view of the image bounding box in the image after you have clicked on the screen to bring up the bounding box with its handles.

https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-6536806-652709/450-266/STEP-2 .JPG

STEP 3

This is the view after you have clicked and dragged on one of the bounding box handles so that the image just fits the 1920 x 1080 16:9 space.

https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-6536806-652710/450-266/STEP+3 .JPG

STEP4

Note the orange line over the Timeline content. That is the program telling you that you are not getting the best preview at playback in the Edit area

monitor. So, after you hit the Enter key of the computer keyboard or the Render button above the Timeline, the line should go from orange to

green, indicating that you are now seeing the best possible preview in that monitor.

https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-6536806-652715/450-270/STEP-4 .jpg

Bottom line question: After all of the above, does the image end up looking OK as compared to what you were seeing before?

Looking forward to your results. Then we can decide what next if indicated.

Thanks

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6536806#6536806

• 10. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 12
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Robhockey10

Thanks for the reply and exploring the suggestion.

I need to back up to a question. Please confirm the frame rates that we are dealing with.

For the project preset that you have been and are now still using

PAL or NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i25 or 30

For the footage from your GoPro camera

1280 x 960 @ 25 or 29.97/30 progressive frames per second?

Assuming for now, 25 progressive frames per second, for troubleshooting purposes, have you looked at 1280 x 720 @ 25 progressive frames per second in Premiere Elements, using the project preset = PAL AVCHD AVCHD LITE 720p25?

More later.

ATR

• 11. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 12
                              Robhockey10 Level 1

No it doesn’t work…

Le 9 juil. 2014 à 22:04, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com> a écrit :

Robhockey10

Thanks for the reply and exploring the suggestion.

I need to back up to a question. Please confirm the frame rates that we are dealing with.

For the project preset that you have been and are now still using

PAL or NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i25 or 30

For the footage from your GoPro camera

1280 x 960 @ 25 or 29.97/30 progressive frames per second?

Assuming for now, 25 progressive frames per second, for troubleshooting purposes, have you looked at 1280 x 720 @ 25 progressive frames per second in Premiere Elements, using the project preset = PAL AVCHD AVCHD LITE 720p25?

More later.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6537015#6537015