11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2014 4:15 AM by dj_paige

Lost Edits and Recent Catalog

Abbylou1910

When I first started using LR, I used it to import and manage my photos.  Little by little, the space on my computer was being filled up and I eventually decided to move things to an external hard drive and learn how to better manage my LR catalog...big mistake.  I moved my RAW files and organized them nicely into folders on my external hard drive.  I then used LR to find missing files and import them from the hard drive location. Everything seemed to be working well.  During this time, there was a lot of missing information in my library from the files that I had moved.  When I clicked on these folders, it showed the edited version of the pictures and when I right clicked. it gave me an option to merge them with the current folder and I did.  I opened my catalog today and noticed that the edits that I did on pictures last week were gone.  The pictures are there, but no edits.  I opened a backed up catalog that had a bunch of missing files, but showed the edited version.  I tried to get back to the most recent catalog that was nice and organized and now I can't find that.  Can anyone please help me get the data back for these files? 

• 1. Re: Lost Edits and Recent Catalog
          dj_paige Level 9

I tried to get back to the most recent catalog that was nice and organized and now I can't find that.

Use File->Open Recent

• 2. Re: Lost Edits and Recent Catalog
            Abbylou1910 Level 1

I did that and the only options that it gives me are all of the backups that I've opened in an attempt to find it.  How can I tell where my master catalog is stored?  I thought everything was supposed to save upon closing, or is backing up daily necessary?

• 3. Re: Lost Edits and Recent Catalog
              dj_paige Level 9

You can find your main catalog via having your operating system search for all files whose name ends with .LRCAT (might be lower case); one of those is your original catalog

• 4. Re: Lost Edits and Recent Catalog
                Abbylou1910 Level 1

Ok, here's what I did.  In the most recently backed up catalog I clicked file, import catalog and little by little imported all of my other backed up catalogs into 1 and created virtual copies of any duplicates.  In doing so, the edits appeared.  My problem now is that I have a ton of virtual copies.  Any time I've tried to delete these in the past, all have been deleted.  Is there any way to just delete 1 virtual copy and keep the other?

• 5. Re: Lost Edits and Recent Catalog
                  dj_paige Level 9

I believe you can create a smart collection that find virtual copies using the selection criterion File Name/Type->Copy Name->Isn't empty. This should select all virtual copies. However, if you have assigned Copy Names to photos yourself, it will select other photos as well. Within this smart collection, you select all virtual copies (or select all, if there are no non-virtual copies) and then delete.

• 6. Re: Lost Edits and Recent Catalog
                    Abbylou1910 Level 1

Thanks!  If I do that, will I be able to keep the edited copy and delete the others?  Whenever I've clicked delete on any picture that was virtual copied all were removed.

• 7. Re: Lost Edits and Recent Catalog
                      dj_paige Level 9

It works with one trick ... you have to do a "splat delete" from within the collection, that's alt-ctrl-shift-delete, I just tried it (and no, I don't know how to do that on a Mac)

• 8. Re: Lost Edits and Recent Catalog
                        Abbylou1910 Level 1

Thank you!  If I make the smart collection like you said and delete them, will it keep the edited version or original, or delete both?

I tried this the following below.  I deleted all copies that weren't edited.  I still have a bunch of copies of the same edited picture from merging all of my collections.  If I do what you said, will it leave 1 behind or will all of them be deleted?

• Create a new Smart Collection in the Library module.

• Set the Criteria to the following:

–Copy name “isn’t empty” (to find all the virtual copies)

–Develop > Has Adjustments = “false”.

• 9. Re: Lost Edits and Recent Catalog
                          dj_paige Level 9

You should see that the virtual copies disappear, they are deleted from the catalog, and the originals are unchanged, they remain in the catalog and on your hard disk.

I don't know why you think you need Develop>Has Adjustments = "false", I don't see the need for this condition

If you are skeptical, try selecting one virtual copy first and see what happens

• 10. Re: Lost Edits and Recent Catalog
                            Abbylou1910 Level 1

Thanks!  Only problem is that it isn't finding the virtual copies on my external hard drive.  In my library on the left I have local disc C and then Elements External.  When I go through the folders in the external, they still have a ton of virtual copies.  Do I have to change a setting somewhere?

• 11. Re: Lost Edits and Recent Catalog
                              dj_paige Level 9

Only problem is that it isn't finding the virtual copies on my external hard drive.

Are these photos in the same catalog? Did you select "All Photographs" or did you select a single drive/folders?