5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2014 11:52 AM by A.T. Romano

Does Premiere Elements 12 have Interpret Footage command?

twelve-31

Trying to adjust frame rate on clips that were shot one different cameras. Some of them are from the early 90's and have 11 fps. Is there an Interpret Footage command in this version?

• 1. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 have Interpret Footage command?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

twelve-31

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? And have you updated from 12 to 12.1 yet? Just background in case we

need it as the discussions evolve.

Now to get to your question...go to the Expert workspace and right click your file in Project Assets. From the drop down menu, select Interpret Footage.

Just in case note....There are a few ways to create slow and fast motion effects in Premiere Elements, Interpret Footage is one of them.

For one example of the Interpret Footage dialog, please see screenshot below

InterpretFootage.JPG

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 have Interpret Footage command?
            twelve-31 Level 1

Hey ATR,

Thanks, I found it. I'm running windows 7 and 12.1 Premiere Elements. After finding this setting, this may not be what I am looking for after all. Basically I have some footage from 20 years ago apparently shot on some type of handheld maybe vhs but it has a frame rate of 11 FPS. In the finished product, this particular footage looks terrible. I thought if I adjusted the frame rate to match the rest of the footage it would be better but it appears that this just speeds it up, which I don't want. Will smartfix help my situation?

• 3. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 have Interpret Footage command?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

twelve-31

If this footage has VHS origins, I am suspect that it is probably 720 x 480 4:3. The 12 program automatically takes control over setting the project preset based on the properties of the first video dragged to the Timeline. Sometimes it does it right. Sometimes not. When not, then you set the project preset yourself manually based on what you know the properties of the source to be. The program may be settings for NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 when it should be setting NTSC DV Standard.

What are the properties of what is going on your Timeline and what is your intended export?

With the above information, we may be able to make some suggestions for import as well as export settings.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 have Interpret Footage command?
                twelve-31 Level 1

sc1.jpg

This is old footage. Some of the others are running at 20 fps and there will be yet more that is shot with DSLR that is 24FPS.

Here are the project settings.

sc2.jpg

Intended export for now is best quality for most likely web (YouTube, Vimeo). Basically, its a trailer for a musical documentary. Any help with eport setting would be great!

thanks,

Twelve31

• 5. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 have Interpret Footage command?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

twelve-31

If your source is 320 x 240 @ 11.99 frames per second and you want to get it in shape to upload to YouTube, I would recommend the Timeline content export to a file save to the computer hard drive and then that file uploaded to YouTube at the YouTube website.

We can fine tune the following, but consider the following

Premiere Elements 12.1 on Windows 7 64 bit

Open the program to its Expert workspace and set the project preset manually to NTSC DV Standard.

To do that, in the Expert workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings. In the Change Settings area change the project preset to NTSC DV Standard. In the new project dialog, just before closing out of this area, make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

Now back in the Expert workspace, import your 320 x 240 @ 11.99 frames per second into the project with Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline. If you see any thin black borders to the left or right of the image in the monitor, click on the monitor image, and drag one of the handles of the image's bounding box to just get rid of those black borders.

When you are ready to export, go to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and set Presets = VIMEO SD. Under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, you can customized the Export Settings for 320 x 240 @ 12 progressive frames per second or 640 x 480 @ 30 progressive frames per second, etc.

320240 custom.JPG

I do not think it a good idea to try to force a 320 x 240 4:3 @ 12 progressive frames per second into a YouTube 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second.

Please check out the above and let us know if any of it worked for you. If not, we will think about this some more. I road tested this and it does not look all that bad.

Thanks.

ATR