1 2 Previous Next 75 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 9:10 AM by A.T. Romano

cannot open a project in elements 7

alanjc

not used my video editing for a while but am trying to start a new project - but am getting error message and then system closes down.

have checked that my system is up to date and is ok

i am trying to use on windows 7

• 1. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>getting error message

What error message? (you need to provide details for anyone to help)

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 2. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
            A.T. Romano Level 7

alanjc

Premiere Elements 7 on Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit?). For now I will assume 64 bit.

Please delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if that does not work, then delete the whole 7.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. The Window 7 64 bit to those are:

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 7.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 7.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited. If you need any help with this, please do not hesitate to ask.

Assuming the default location...go to Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/7.0, and find out how much has piled up in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder and the Media Cache Files Folder. Also, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks to determine the location of the Scratch Disks and how much free hard drive space is at the location. Also, in Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Cache Database area, hit the Clean button. We can discuss cleaning out the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder and Media Cache Files Folder once I know what is currently in them.

Depending on the outcome of the above, do a ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of leftovers from incomplete installs and/or reinstalls.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...As John has already asked "What does the error message say?"

• 3. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
              alanjc Level 1

I have tried both your suggestions and it still cannot open a project

the message on screen reads - "sorry a serious error has occurred that requires adobe premier elements to shut down. we will attempt to save your current project"

there is no error number or any other information

Alan

• 4. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Thanks for the follow up.

Confirming...deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and the 7.0 Folder in which it exists did not resolve the problem of opening a new project in Premiere Elements 7 Windows 7 assumed 64 bit. And, there were no pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files.

Have you assured that the problem exists with and without the antivirus program disabled?

Have you assured that the video card/graphics card that the computer uses is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the web site of the manufacturer of the computer.

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 7. Both these program need to be used from User Account with Administrative Privileges as well as have Run As Administrator applied to them. Have you checked to make sure that is the case?

If you have been there and done all that, then it is probably time for the

a. uninstall from the Control Panel

b. free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

c. reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled

Please review. If any questions, please do not hesitate to ask and to ask for clarification.

We will be looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                  alanjc Level 1

Thanks for that - I have to say that I am not a technical computer person and this is testing me to the limit.

I have done the uninstall from control panel, I have done the CCleaner (but only regular cleaner was free).

I don't know how to check if I have up to date quick time or the video card/graphics.

I will try an install with firewall off.

I wish these things were as easy as they say it should be.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 6. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

You will do just great.

The free ccleaner comes with the regular cleaner and the registry cleaner.

ccleaner.JPG

After you get finished with the regular cleaner (the top "Cleaner" icon at the top of that left side column),

click on the "Registry" icon underneath the "Cleaner". Clicking on the Scan for Issues starts

the process. Then

a. Click on "Fix selected issues..."

b. Next you will get a pop up "Do you want to backup changes to the registry?" Indicate Yes. And, Save.

c. After hitting Save, you will get another pop up on which you select "Fix All Selected Issues".

If you go to Device Manager/Display Adapters/and the name of your video card/graphics card, what do you see

for the Properties/Driver Tab

a. Driver version

b. Driver date

(What is the name of your video card/graphics card?

We will be watching for your progress. Do not underestimate you video editing talents. You can do it.

ATR

• 7. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                      alanjc Level 1

Thanks

I have redone the CCleaner, both regular and registry.

Device manager shows I have the intel(r) had graphics family.

Version 8.15.10.2345

Date 26/3/2011. - seems old to me.

It also says it is working properly

I searched for any updates and it says the best driver for your device is already installed and is up to date.

I am now going to reload premier elements with firewall switched off

Fingers crossed

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 8. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                        alanjc Level 1

I'm sad to report that all that didn't work - I am getting same message when I try to open a project, both old or new

Does the premier elements need updating ?

It's very frustrating. I know I haven't used the software for nearly 12 months but it used to work fine.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 9. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Thank you for the update. Let us not give up, although your news was very disappointing after all your dedicated work.

There is no significant update for Premiere Elements 7. There is one update which relates to photoshop.com services which is no longer in existence from the point of view of Adobe and Premiere Elements. Do not get lured into "update" messages on that one.

Factors to reconsider...

1. Possible redoing of deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and the whole 7.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

(Please refer to post 2 of this thread.)

2. Making sure that you have applied Run As Administrator to the desktop icon even if you are running the program under a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

3. Creating a new User Account with Administrative Privileges and installing and trying to run Premiere Elements 7 in it.

You wrote that you are getting error message when you go to open a new project. How far do you get into creating the new project? Do you get to the Welcome Screen, new project dialog? If so, when does the error hit after that...when you hit OK in the new project dialog after you have name the project, confirm the project preset, designate the Save In location?

ATR

• 10. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                            alanjc Level 1

OK ATR - I have to admit I really understand points 2 & 3 regarding administrator and administrator privileges. We have a lap top and only two of us use it. We don't need to sign on to start up the lap top or use passwords so we both can make changes to the system (I think that's what it refers to).

If I select new project then the box appears where I can name the project and where it will save it. I then name it, I don't change the file for saving. When I click ok that's when I get the error message. But it does seem to save the project name because if I select open an old project the listing appears which shows the saved project and when I try to open that project that's when I get the error message.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 11. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

I think that you are probably OK with User Accounts but, in view of the situation, if you have not already, go to Control Panel and the User Account that you are using to assure that the account thumbnails show the word Administrator under the ID.

And if we are running out of troubleshooting, we might speculate on the remote possibility that we are dealing with a corrupted User Account. That is when creating a new User Account (with Administrative Privileges) might prove helpful. I have seen at least one recent instance when a user had to go that route to get Premiere Elements (I think the version was 12) to work.

What is the save location of the projects now...Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/7.0 or some place else?

What happens if you change the Save In location in the new project dialog....same error when you hit OK to the new project dialog settings?

ATR

• 12. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                alanjc Level 1

I have checked user accounts and the user we have has got the administrator box checked.

Save location is. C:\users\name\documents\adobe\premier elements\7.0\

But if I change it, it doesn't make any difference, the error message still appears.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 13. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Thank you for double checking various troubleshooting factors.

I am not ready to give up, so...

1. Computer/Manage/Services and Applications/Services....do you find there FLEXnet Licensing? If so, is it Stopped?

If so, please start it.

2. Have you installed any 3rd party plug-ins or codecs since Premiere Elements 7 last worked for you?

3. When you get the error message trying to start a new project in Premiere Elements 7, if you go to Computer/Manage/Event Viewer and its Windows Logs/Application, do you see any mention of details of the error that you just encountered in the program?

4. Do you have another computer in your household or a friend's computer available? If so, is it possible to try to install Premiere Elements 7

on that other computer for troubleshooting purposes

5. I came across this Adobe document on troubleshooting Premiere Elements 11 installation problems. Although your program seems to be

installed, please see if there is anything in it that you can use, with the thought that we are now dealing, even remotely, with the after effects of any incomplete

install.

Troubleshoot Premiere Elements 7 installation problems

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                    alanjc Level 1

I cannot find the file you refer to - I can't find manage.

Computer/Manage/Services and Applications/Services

Point 3 - same thing - I can't find manage in the computer menu.

What do you mean by 3rd party plug ins or codecs ? - other video players like real player or divx plus player. There is also a k-lite codec pack.

I can get another laptop so I will load up prem elements and try that

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 15. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                      alanjc Level 1

Now believe it or not the program has opened on the other laptop - that is windows XP.

My own laptop is windows 7.

Could that be the issue?

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 16. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

First rationalizing the good news that Premiere Elements 7 opens on Windows XP 32 bit even thought it will not open on Windows 7 64 bit........

Premiere Elements 7 is going to be a 32 bit application on either of those computers and will have the limitations of 32 bit system. So, from

the point of view of RAM, you are looking at the same, that is, maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which typically 3.2 to 3.0 or less of that

are available.

Please remind me where your installation files are coming from - installation disc or online download from Adobe? If online download, I am

assuming that they were downloaded to Windows XP 32 bit at purchase.

Let of try this....go back to Windows 7 64 bit, right click the desktop icon of Premiere Elements 7, select Properties, then the Compatibility Tab.

Under the Compatibility Tab, place a check mark next to "Run this program in compatibility mode:" and select Windows XP SP3 (if the other computer used SP3). Does Premiere Elements 7 then work on Windows 7 64 bit? You should not have to do that. My Premiere Elements 7 on Windows 7 64 bit does not require that type of intervention.

If you have installation files from an online purchase, I am wonder if they are computer operating system specific?

More later.

Your follow ups are much appreciated.

ATR

• 17. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Add on to post numbered 16.

Right click Computer, select Manage, and so forth

manage-1.jpg

Please let me know if you have located Manage and the targets mentioned after that.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                            alanjc Level 1

Just replying to the mail below

I have managed to find manage and services - the flex net was stopped so I have stated it.

Still could not open a project though.

When I get the error message I have looked into the event viewer and there is no specific mention of the error for prem elements.

I have looked at the troubleshoot page and there doesn't seem to be anything related to my problem. Other than a defrag or temp files deletion

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 19. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                              alanjc Level 1

The program is from a disc bought 2 or 3 years ago - it says windows Xperia and windows vista.

The other laptop only has 1GB of RAM but program still works. I have imported a video on it and it works but is a bit jumpy ( not smooth picture).

I did the comparability and nothing changed, I then tried windows 7 in comparability and did not change.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 20. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Thanks for the troubleshooting updates.

As a reference point, what is the video card/graphics card of the Windows XP 32 bit computer versus the one for the Windows 7 64 bit computer?

When you have been installing Premiere Elements 7 on Windows 7 64 bit, have you encountered a message to update Premiere Elements 7 with

the 7.0.3 Update?

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0.3 update

If so, have you?

That 7.0.3 Update always seemed to decrease the performance of my Premiere Elements 7. So, after a few run ins with it, I did 7 uninstall and reinstalled cancelling the 7.0.3 request which is only for photoshop.com purposes. And, photoshop.com has long since been discontinued.

ATR

• 21. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                  alanjc Level 1

On my windows 7 the display adapter is intel(r) hd family.

On the Xperia laptop it is ATI mobility Radeon x1400.

I am not aware of upgrading the prem elements, how would I find out.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 22. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

I am not aware of upgrading the prem elements, how would I find out.

Not sure that can be done since you cannot open the program to look for 7.0.3 markings. If you could, I would ask you to look in the Help Menu/About Adobe Premiere Elements to see if you see 7.0.3 or 7.0 there. Adobe often does not leave update marking in the program after an update.

Here is the dilemma, the 7.0.3 Update

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0.3 update

in its time was called a required update. But, its claims went to membership services (supposedly photoshop.com) and what was described as

important security fixes. Consider, photoshop.com is long since been discontinued, so....

If we want to factor this in or out...

1. You do not have to have Premiere Elements 7 open in order to install this update. So, you can download it from the link above, try to install it, see if you

get a successfully installed message, and that solves your overall issues with 7.

2. You could uninstall 7, reinstall 7. Depending on how far you get into the install, you should get a message Update Required if the Update is not installed. If so, that means you do not have the Update.

ATR

• 23. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                      alanjc Level 1

ATR

I have followed the procedure below without success.

Complete uninstall

CCleaner plus registry

Reboot PC

Turn off firewall

Reinstall from disc (no prompts for updates)

Auto reboot of PC

Started flex net (why does it keep stopping)

Opened prem elements OK

Tried to open new project but got same error message and it closed down.

I think we have tried everything - it should not be this difficult.

What else can adobe do to resolve this ?

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 24. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Thanks for the updates. Sorry that the troubleshooting has not resolved the Premiere Elements 7 cannot open issue.

It is my understanding that Adobe is not going to help you (with or without a fee) on this Premiere Elements 7 matter since version 7 is not the

current version 12.

Premiere Elements 7 should run on both Windows XP 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. I have been there and done that to this moment. I suspect this is a computer

issue rather than a Premiere Elements 7 issue. But suspect is not good enough. What you could try (for troubleshooting purposes), download and

install to your Windows 7 64 bit the free tryout of Premiere Elements 12. If that works on Windows 7 64 bit, we can point back to Premiere Elements 7.

If version 12 does not work on your Windows 7 64 bit, then we can point back to Windows 64 bit computer that you are using.

At the moment, the Adobe Chat is not working for the Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up, so you cannot try Adobe Chat although I believe that you will get a "do not support" reply.

Is a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit an option at this point? Or, does your computer have a button to use to take the computer to factory settings?

Installing and reinstalling Windows - Windows Help

I prefer not to do this approach, but....

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 25. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                          alanjc Level 1

I am looking at Adobe web site and prem 12 - I cannot see any links for a free trial on 12.

I have also looked at some reviews on prem 12 and some are saying it doesn't work on a 64 bit PC. And another says it is power hungry so is my 4GB RAM laptop good enough.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 26. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

The link for the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_elements&loc=us#

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit is a 64 bit application which can take advantage of all the 64 bit

resources. In your case with version 7, 7 is a 32 bit application if run on a 32 bit or 64 bit computer.

And, as such, it has the limitationss of 32 bit, namely, mac supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which typically 3.2 to 3.0 or less

of that are available.

I have Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on my laptop which came with 4 GB RAM installed. That worked fine. But, in the quest for

better, I have upgraded the RAM from 4 to 8 GB. Works fine. You do not need much RAM to install a program, but

the amount of installed RAM (along with other factors) will determine how large a project you are able to work with.

Right now, we want to know "Will or will not Premiere Elements 12 install on your Windows 7 64 bit computer?" If it

does and you are considering replacing your 7 with 12, then we can discuss the situation fuller before any purchase.

ATR

Add On....Just double triple checking...your current Windows 7 is 64 bit and not 32 bit? It is just the Windows XP that is 32 bit?

• 27. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                              alanjc Level 1

Yes my current laptop is windows 7   64bit

However I am having trouble downloading the trial version.

I have got a screen box that says your download will start momentarily meanwhile check out resources below. And it shows PDF conversion software.

But no download has started yet

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 28. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Please double check to make sure that you are on course to download specifically Premiere Elements 12. There is no PDF conversion software involved in this.

My recollection is this...

Once you click the download button in the web page that I cited, you should be getting a download page. Look to the bottom of that to select Premiere Elements 12 specifically. Often it opens to show some program that you do not want. My recollection is there is an arrow or the like to do a click by click to get to Premiere Elements selected from the many programs in the line up.

See if that is the case. If not, I will start a tryout download today and give you the step by step to make sure Adobe has not changed the process

since I used it last.

ATR

• 29. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                                  alanjc Level 1

What seems to be downloading is adobe acrobat XI pro

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 30. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                                    alanjc Level 1

After the initial page which does refer to prem 12 - you click the download button at the bottom which downloads adobe download assistant. After that there is no mention of prem 12 , but it then starts downloading adobe acrobat XI pro.

It has finished downloading but nothing has happened, no icon on desktop.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 31. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

You do not want the Adobe Acrobat XI Pro.

Let me go through the Premiere Elements 12 tryout steps as of this afternoon.

ATR

• 32. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                                        alanjc Level 1

Thanks for your help

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 33. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

I just went through the Premiere Elements 12 download from Adobe, but I just took it to the stage before actually signing in to begin the download.

1. Starting with the Adobe web page for the Premiere Elements 12 Download. An orange "download" button should materialize at the bottom of the page after a few seconds.

2. After you click on the orange "download" button, you should get the download box for the "Adobe Download Assistant.exe"

(This file is important in the extraction and downloading steps related to the .7z file (actual program component).

Click Save.

3. Double click the Adobe Download Assistant.exe to get an Open File/Run dialog.

4. You will probably go through User Account Control, Install, Terms and Conditions to accept.

In the course of all this and the settings shown.... I used the Desktop for saving these files, you can select Documents if you have

problems with the Desktop choice.

12 Tryout.JPG

Thereafter everything should be on course for Premiere Elements 12.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 34. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Add on to post numbered 33.

I forgot to add this screenshot to post numbered 33.

SignIn.JPG

ATR

• 35. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                                              alanjc Level 1

OK done that and it is now downloading - says it will take about 2 hours.

I still got the box that was downloading adobe acrobat - but when I clicked the cross to cancel that's when it gave me a choice of what I wanted to download including prem 12.

So then I have signed in and it is now downloading.

Looking at some of the resources available I see there is a learn with adobe tv - can I access this anytime if necessary ?

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 36. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Sounding good.

Here is the link to Adobe TV Premiere Elements 12

http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-premiere-elements-12/

You do not have purchase Adobe Premiere Elements 12 to view those video tutorials.

You can also check out my very detailed and comprehensive Premiere Elements 12 First Look and Premiere Elements 12 Daily Discoveries.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 12 First Look Details

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 12 Daily Discoveries

My blog has about  88 blog posts at this time, covering various aspects of Premiere Elements.

No registration to view, no ads, just my observations on hands on use of Premiere Elements.

ATR

• 37. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                                                  alanjc Level 1

Download has finished but I can't find it - there is no icon on desktop and it isn't listed in programs.

The download assistant is on the screen showing the choice of downloads including prem 12

Have I missed something

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 38. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                                                    alanjc Level 1

OK i seem to have found it in destination file - have selected setup.exe and it seems to be installing - hope this is right

Alan

Sent from my iPad

• 39. Re: cannot open a project in elements 7
                                                                                      alanjc Level 1

What I seem to be installing is adobe photoshop elements 12 - is this the same thing

Alan

Sent from my iPad

1 2 Previous Next