7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2014 8:03 PM by A.T. Romano

Can I use canon eos40d for stop motion capture in premiere elements 9?

MammaMia55

I Want too do stop motion capture but when I click get media, the pop up dialog box proceeda as if to import still photos. How do I get the "capture panel" that is talked about where I can select stop motion?  Is premiere elements 9 supposed to work with a still camera like mine for stop motion at all?   Thanks!!'  Kimberley

• 1. Re: Can I use canon eos40d for stop motion capture in premiere elements 9?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

MammaMia55

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9 running on? And, are you working from the 9.0.1 Update? Just background information in case the subsequent discussion needs it.

The Capture Window in Premiere Elements is related to only DV or HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Window OR "webcam/WDM Device". The corresponding Add Media choices would be DV Camcorder, HDV Camcorder, and Webcam or WDM Device respectively.

Once you have obtained your photos through the Canon stop motion settings, you import those photos to Premiere Elements with the Add Media/Files and Folders. The intent is to then adjust the duration of each as required to get your Time Lapse video effect. The latter is covered in great detail in the following blog posts

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Time Lapse Video Basics

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Numbered Stills in Time Lapse and Other Animations

Please review and consider, and then let us know if you have questions or need clarification.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can I use canon eos40d for stop motion capture in premiere elements 9?
            MammaMia55 Level 1

Thanks for your reply.   Windows7 and I don't think I have the update but can get it if it would help.

I think what you are saying is that I can only use a dv/HDV camcorder (tape based video player), webcam or a "wdm".  I don't know what a "wdm-compatible capture device" is?  

Taking a step back, I was hoping to use premiere elements to make a stop motion lego movie with my kids.  I saw it done recently with different software.  The camera was linked to PC with USB cable and then the software showed on the PC what would normally be in the camera viewfinder.  The enter key on the PC worked as a shutter release and onion skinning worked.  Can premiere elements do this?  If so, which of these devices would it work with (in reducing order if image quality): canon eos40d camera, Panasonic Lumix 10 year old stills camera with good photos but very limited video capability, iPad Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2 yrs old, dell laptop with camera for skype etc, an ancient Sony dv video camera which I don't know if I even have tapes for any more.  I know I could just take photos and thurs them into stop motion but I need the live viewing on the computer and onion skinning.  Hoping I don't have to buy new software.   I also have Lightroom (the one before the current release) if that helps.

Thanks!!!

Kimberley

• 3. Re: Can I use canon eos40d for stop motion capture in premiere elements 9?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Kimberley

Thanks for the reply. This is my take on the situation that you describe.

You wrote

The camera was linked to PC with USB cable and then the software showed on the PC what would normally be in the camera viewfinder.  The enter key on the PC worked as a shutter release and onion skinning worked.  Can premiere elements do this?

That more or less describes the Premiere Elements Webcam experience if Premiere Elements recognized the Webcam.

If you have made a USB connection between the Canon 40D and the computer and you are not getting a Capture Window when you use Premiere Elements' Add Media Webcam or WDM compatible device, then Premiere Elements does not support that simple route. It is my understanding that WDM compatible device represents Windows Driver Model (a framework for device drivers).

I have done some Google searching, and I have found instance where claims have been made for the Canon 40D as a webcam. I post one of these links for informational and non promotional purposes.

http://extrawebcam.com/

Have you explore any utilities that came with the Canon that might supply drivers for the Canon as a webcam?

Have you tried to use the Canon 40D as a webcam with Windows Movie Maker?

Please review and consider. (Also, 9.0.1 Update can be downloaded and installed from the project's Help Menu/Update or obtained online from

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can I use canon eos40d for stop motion capture in premiere elements 9?
                MammaMia55 Level 1

Useful advice, thanks. 

Have discovered I have up to date premiere elements.

Canon utilities were not up to date so now running latest.  I haven't used it before bit discover now that it works to take photos from the computer terminal remotely.

Understand now that if you select webcam in premiere elements that you get the option to capture stop motion.

However the computer's inbuilt webcam is the only one showing up in the capturing source box.  Are you expecting that extrawebcam.com will install a driver such that the Eos 40d will appear on this list? I am reluctant to download (especially free) software unless I know what it does as I have been burnt in the past getting annoying extra programs I didn't expect!

Thanks

• 5. Re: Can I use canon eos40d for stop motion capture in premiere elements 9?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Kimberly

If a recent Canon utility was going to supply a driver which would allow the Canon to be recognized in Premiere Elements as a webcam, then a Canon webcam should be listed as a choice along with the webcam built into the computer in the Capture Window.

I am not sure if the extrawebcam software is going to make all that happen. Have not been there and used that. There are many recent downloads of great programs that come with unwanted and browser disturbing carry alongs.

Did you get a chance to look at using Windows Movie Maker Webcam feature?

ATR

• 6. Re: Can I use canon eos40d for stop motion capture in premiere elements 9?
                    MammaMia55 Level 1

Thanks for your help.

I have tried to isolate the issue by trying to get an old external webcam to work.  Works with premiere elements to capture jpegs and create an avi file but I try playback and nothing happens.  Strangely nothing happens when I try to play the avi from the photoshop elements organiser screen but I have never had trouble with that before.  I will try new video driver as it is very out if date.  I won't be able to do that for a few days though.  Windows movie maker doesn't work either and following through their trouble shooting is what made me think of the video driver.

If I can make it work properly witH the external webcam (an old Microsoft one) Then I will try extrawebcam for the 40d and let you know.

Kimberley

• 7. Re: Can I use canon eos40d for stop motion capture in premiere elements 9?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Kimberley

Your question has triggered my curiosity and Premiere Elements Webcam gene.

I started to search the Internet and am looking at these articles that say "in so many steps" and you can convert

your digital camera into a webcam. Here is one from any...

How to Use a Digital Camera As a Web Cam: 12 Steps - wikiHow

I am starting to see if any of the suggestions really work.

We will be watching for your progress. With all the search for this, I made the discovery that my laptop built in webcam is

really SD and not HD as I thought the specs claimed. I was about to wage war on troubleshooting on why Premiere Elements and

its Add Media/Webcam and WDM were always giving me SD recordings instead of my expected 720p. It seems my laptop comes

in multi submodels with multi feature sets...lots of "or" and I was on the short side of the "or".

Always work with the computer's video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or manufacturer of

the computer....the exception being the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce syndrome requiring roll back of the NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card driver to get Premiere Elements 10 to work.

We will work through the details of the Premiere Elements workflow when you are ready, especially those details related to the format being generated by the Webcam software. If "avi", not all avis are created equal. Avi is just a wrapper format. We will need to know the compression being used with the .avi wrapper.

ATR