2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2014 7:08 PM by Noel Carboni

Photoshop CS3 Suite is crashing before it even initializes.

RalcarPete

I am having a rather serious issue with the CS3 suite on a windows 8 computer. The programs in the suite except for Acrobat are crashing before they even begin to initialize (hence not loading any plugins or even starting to consider doing so).

Description on when the problem arose:
      PS has been functioning just fine on this computer for months. I had to deal with Acrobat and a pdf file, From acrobat I clicked on bridge, then opened it in Photoshop. I proceeded to have the individual sign the form with my wacom tablet. During this time I got a "Bridge has stopped working" error, and closed bridge because I never really use it. I then saved the pdf, and closed out PS. Upon attempting to reopen the pdf for further editing a couple minutes later, the program no longer opened.

Immediately upon starting the error, "Adobe Photoshop CS3 has stopped working" presents, obviously the windows bug report search returns nothing. When I say Immediately, I mean it, there is nothing but an empty windows frame, the normal initializing and loading plugin splash is not even loading.

Problem details are listed as such: I know its not very useful.

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    Photoshop.exe

Application Version:    10.0.0.0

Application Timestamp:    4601eae8

Fault Module Name:    MSVCR80.dll

Fault Module Version:    8.0.50727.8428

Fault Module Timestamp:    520b1060

Exception Code:    c0000005

Exception Offset:    00014500

OS Version:    6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101

Locale ID:    1033

Additional Information 1:    5861

Additional Information 2:    5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2

Additional Information 3:    3a20

Additional Information 4:    3a20a93c34687143a5bf7d33f1cf3cc

I have already done a complete uninstall and reinstall of the programs, that did not correct the issue. I have also attempted the common TWAIN issue fix to see if that was the problem. The preference reset command does not function.

I really need some help with this, I have several book covers that need to be finished and the deadline is looming.

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS3 Suite is crashing before it even initializes.
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Photoshop CS3 is of course not supported for use on Windows 8.

That said, I have it working on Win 8.1 (and had it on 8 as well).  But one thing I do that not everyone does is to run my system with UAC fully disabled.  I don't mean by the setting on the UI to the bottom setting, but via the "EnableLUA" registry tweak, which truly turns it off.  I honestly don't know whether it's possible to run Photoshop CS3 successfully with UAC enabled - but I would suggest running it "As administrator" and see if that helps.

By the way, you're at 10.0.0.  You really should update to 10.0.1.  See:  Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows

Resetting preferences can be tricky, but you should be persistent.  Press and hold Control - Shift - Alt simultaneously immediately upon cold-starting Photoshop. If you get the keys down quickly enough - and you have to be really quick - it will prompt you to confirm deletion of your current preferences, which will lead to the establishment of a fresh default set. If it does not prompt you, you haven't been quick enough to get the keys down.

Good luck.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS3 Suite is crashing before it even initializes.
            Noel Carboni Level 8

P.S., disabling UAC the way I've done it makes it impossible to run any of the new Metro/Modern toys, which I consider a bonus.

-Noel