4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2014 4:10 PM by EmKimothy

preserve the layer order imported from photoshop

EmKimothy

Is there a way to import photoshop files to after effects and keep the layer order from photoshop? I don't want to have to go back to all of my photoshop files and rename them.

And I'd like to use the folders instead of compositions (the ones that are made after importing to After Effects) because it's harder to see how everything works when you're working one composition at a time.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: preserve the layer order imported from photoshop
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

If the Photoshop files have multiple layers, you can import a file -- or files -- as a comp.

If they're single-layer files, you'll need a renaming utility to append numbers to them.... IF they all have the same file name.

If these files are individual images intended to be used as an image sequence, they'll DEFINITELY need the same file name, with ascending numbers appended to them: Filename00001, Filename00002, etc. and then you import them as an image sequence.

• 2. Re: preserve the layer order imported from photoshop
            EmKimothy Level 1

Thank you for your reply. But it doesn't quite answer my question. I'm frustrated that after importing the photoshop files (they each have multiple layers), I'd bring it into the overall composition and when I look inside the folders, they're automatically ordered alphabetically. And I'm wondering if there's a way to keep the order of the layers I had in Photoshop.

And I understand that if I were to double click on the compositions that are created after importing Photoshop files, they're in the same order as Photoshop file layer orders. But I don't like working in those compositions because I can't see how they all fit together in the overall composition.

Do you know if there's a way to prevent After Effects from reordering my layers alphabetically?

• 3. Re: preserve the layer order imported from photoshop
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Well, you're going to have to get used to opening those comps you don't want to open: that's where they're in order.

There's nothing that says you can't copy and paste them -- in the desired order -- into another comp.