17 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2007 1:25 PM by Newsgroup_User

Licensing Director projector files (.exe)

vooboo13
      We created educational software using Flash, and converted it into director so that we can make a projector to create an .exe. Now, normally when we create software, we make our own application (.exe) and then used a Instant SOLO to create a way for customers to buy a license, input a software key, and run it normally. However, with your projector, it asks for a missing .ini file when we try to do this. Have you ever had any experience with a company trying to create software using Flash or Director software and exporting it as an .exe? We are trying to find a solution as to how we can have a way to have customers buy "licenses"using projectors (or .exe files).

Anyone have any experience with doing this?
        • 1. Re: Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
          Level 7
          I currently have a suite of applications made with Director that are
          licensed using Protection Plus from SoftwareKey - is this what you were
          asking?
          • 2. Re: Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
            vooboo13 Level 1
            Yes! How were you able to make it work? When we use the injector to wrap our projector file (the .exe file), and try to run the projector, it gives us this....

"Unable to load movie playlist. Does the .INI file exist? It must contain a section '[Movies]' with an entry 'Movie01=Pathname.dir'"

... After that, it says, "The projector is stopping". After OK'ing that, it says...

"The application cannot run.".

How were you able to use SOLO with it? Please let me know! Thank you in advance.
            • 3. Re: Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
              Level 7
              I have personally not used the protection software that you are
              discussing, but that error message you are getting is a common one if
              the filename including the path is very large (I forgot how many
              characters is the max, but if you go over that, then this error can crop
              up).

I have seen it where people copy the projector to a folder with a long
              name on their desktop (on Windows)- something like this would have trouble:

c:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Desktop\projects\director\stuff that is
              in a long foldername\this is getting very long indeed\projector.exe

Try copying your project to the root of your c:\ drive, just as a test.
              See if it works better. It may have nothing to do with your problem,
              but it also may be a very easy fix.
              • 4. Re: Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
                Level 7
                > Yes! How were you able to make it work? When we use the injector to wrap our
                > projector file (the .exe file), and try to run the projector, it gives us
                > this....

I don't use the injector feature.
                Our installer adds their dll to the system directory and I then use the
                glu32 xtra to call functions in it.

> How were you able to use SOLO with it?

Again, by interfacing with their dll.
                • 5. Re: Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
                  Aquilonian Level 1
                  I'm interested as well
                  But some things you talk about are completely new to me
                  What means 'add the dll to the system directory'?
                  And what is glu32 xtra?
                  • 6. Re: Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
                    vooboo13 Level 1
                    quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                    > Yes! How were you able to make it work? When we use the injector to wrap our
                    > projector file (the .exe file), and try to run the projector, it gives us
                    > this....

I don't use the injector feature.
                    Our installer adds their dll to the system directory and I then use the
                    glu32 xtra to call functions in it.

> How were you able to use SOLO with it?

Again, by interfacing with their dll.

Thanks for the reply! I'm new to this as well. So you used the .dll that came with protection plus, used glu32 in order to use the functions in that .dll, and then it was able to run the licensing functionality on protection plus?
                    • 7. Re: Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
                      Level 7
                      > So you used the .dll that came
                      > with protection plus, used glu32 in order to use the functions in that .dll,
                      > and then it was able to run the licensing functionality on protection plus?

Exactly.
                      • 8. Re: Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
                        Level 7
                        > What means 'add the dll to the system directory'?

When any of the programs that require protection are installed, the
                        installer adds a dll to a known directory.

> And what is glu32 xtra?

It's an xtra that allows access to functions provided by dlls
                        < http://www.ravware.com/glu32.htm>
                        • 9. Re: Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
                          Level 7
                          Aquilonian wrote:

> I'm interested as well
                          > But some things you talk about are completely new to me
                          > What means 'add the dll to the system directory'?
                          > And what is glu32 xtra?

Hi Aquilonian,

There are a few products that can help add protection to Director
                          applications. Look at:
                          http://www.updatestage.com/external/the-mile-high-table-oproducts.html
                          (Click the Protection link in Category Links at the top)

I have used the Castellan Xtra. It works quite well. is Windows only and
                          writes and checks the registry for licencing info.

regards
                          Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                          http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                          http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                          email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 10. Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
                            Aquilonian Level 1
                            Thanks everyone, i will take a look on it
                            Two more beginner question, since director games cant be decompiled, this is protection against what?
                            I mean, cant i make the serial activation, expire date, all internal?
                            • 11. Re: Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
                              Level 7
                              Yes. You absolutely can make all those things internal, and that is how
                              I have done it in the past. You only need to use an outside source if
                              you don't want to get into the coding yourself. It is sometimes faster
                              and easier to pay someone else to do the hard work for you. Personally,
                              when it comes to security, I would prefer to write the code myself so I
                              know it is secure, as opposed to relying on someone else's
                              implementation. But the decision is left to the individual developer
                              (or more likely their boss) if they want to go to the time, effort, and
                              bother of writing the security code or if they just want to have an easy
                              pre-done method.
                              • 12. Re: Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
                                vooboo13 Level 1
                                Sean Wilson, could you possibly send me the source of the code you used to interact with the protection plus server? I don't really get how to do this via Director. If you could, please email me at vnguyen@rec.ri.cmu.edu. Thank you!

Vu
                                • 13. Re: Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
                                  Level 7
                                  I'm sorry, but I can't do that - the IP is owned by my client.
                                  • 14. Re: Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
                                    vooboo13 Level 1
                                    quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                    I'm sorry, but I can't do that - the IP is owned by my client.

That's understandable. Is there anything you'd be able to give me to help figure out how to use the .dll/glu32 Xtra/ anything of that sort? The fact that you were actually able to use Protection Plus with Director gave us hope that it is possible. Now it's just figuring it out. Anything information you can give us would greatly be appreciated so that we can be in the right direction. Thanks Sean
                                    • 15. Re: Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
                                      Level 7
                                      I'll certainly do what I can to help.

I created a "static" parent script that manages communication with the
                                      dll. I implemented all the methods in this script that I needed to
                                      interface with in the dll. Here's an example for getting the (unique)
                                      computer ID number pp_compno() (you'll need to read the Glu32 docs for
                                      info about setting up the GLUNew() method):
                                      -------------------
                                      on mGetCompNo( me )
                                      -----------------
                                      ---------------------------------------------
                                      -- PURPOSE: obtain the computer number
                                      -- ACCEPTS: script reference ( me )
                                      -- RETURNS: valid computer number or an error
                                      ---------------------------------------------

-- validate GLU32 xtra instance:
                                      if voidP( _glu ) OR not( objectP(_glu) ) then
                                      _glu = xtra("Glu32").new()
                                      end if

-- validate library path:
                                      if voidP( _libPath ) then
                                      _libPath = baSysFolder("system") & "KEYLIB32.dll"
                                      end if

-- initialize the xtra with the path to the library and the function
                                      to be called:
                                      err = _glu.GLUNew(_libPath, "pp_compno", "L", "L@S@S", 0, 0)
                                      if err then
                                      return [#error: _glu.GluGetErrorString(err)]
                                      end if

HD = "C:"
                                      -- 130 == COMPNO_HDSERIAL(2) + COMPNO_WINPRODID(128)
                                      return _glu.GLUCall(130, "", HD)

end

In your case it may be as simple as implementing a single method (
                                      pp_eztrial2() )

Also, the Protection Plus manual/help/dll function reference was
                                      invaluable for knowing what parameters to pass and how to initialise a
                                      Glu32 function call
                                      • 16. Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
                                        vooboo13 Level 1
                                        Thanks Sean for the info! Your email seems to not be working. Will you email me or let me know what your email is? Thanks Sean!
                                        • 17. Re: Licensing Director projector files (.exe)
                                          Level 7
                                          > Will you email me or let me know what your email is? I have a few questions to ask you.

Start with an account that I expect to get spam on:
                                          sean.n.wilson(at)gmail.com