2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2014 8:22 AM by JFPhoton

Laptop for Premiere Pro CC 2014

Jorge Jaramillo Hdz Level 1

So I have this Asus G53jw, a 3 years old laptop:

i7 quad 1.7, 8gb ram, 128ssd, 1.5gb gtx 460m

Run "OK" in CC 2014

So I'm looking for a new one, and I found this new MSI GS60 ghost pro (3k display):

CPU 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 2.5ghz

OS Windows 8.1

Memory DDR3L,1600 MHz, 16GB

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M GDDR5 3GB

SSD 128gb + 1TB HDD 7200rpm

I'm about to buy i, but want to know some toughts about it.

Do you think is going to be a good invest? The price is around 2k

• 1. Re: Laptop for Premiere Pro CC 2014
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Any laptop will be throttled back very appreciably unless yoou keep it plugged in.  With AC power it sounds great, better than my laptop.  With good eyes and that small very high resolution screen it will be very good, but not with my old eyes.  I am very happily using a 17" screen laptop with a 2.4 GHz i7 CPU with 16 GB of RAM, a 128GB SSD for the OS and applications but I have a Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD as my second drive.  This gives me a write transfer rate from Premiere of almost 500 MB/second.

When you get the unit, get a GPU overclocking tool (I am using EVGA Precision X) to raise the memory clock on the GTX 870M appreciable and you can get much faster MPE hardware assisted performance.  Because the important selling factor in laptops is battery life, the clock on the GPU is severely underclocked.  On my ASUS G750 JW the memory clock was around 1 GHz (GPU-Z data) and I have been able to very safely set it to 1.5 GHz.  The nVidia GTx 8xxM series even need this boost more than my GTX 765M

Also pick up one or more USB3 Flash Drive I have several of the new PNY Turbo 128 GB models, I specify this unit because not all USB3 flask drives meet work as well and under applications do not even come close the this performance  These are really great portable read speed devices.  I put my projects and media files on this device and even with a three camera AVCHD wedding shoot recently the laptop was extremely smooth editing.(ok, I did see a few times the audio did not start immediately but even at full resolution output the results on my HDTV was excellent.

When you get it you might want to test it with our Premiere Pro Benchmark  (PPBM), you will have to register to see the results page.  I currently have the highest scoring laptop

• 2. Re: Laptop for Premiere Pro CC 2014
            JFPhoton Level 3

Bill,

Because of the advice you and Harm have given on this forum, three years ago I was able to avoid buying an under powered and ill equipped laptop for use with PPro !!

LIke you have done recently,In 2011, I bought an Asus G73JW....put in two fast SSDs and upped the memory. THEN, I used MSI Afterburner to overclock the 460m video card...like you have done !! I even tried overclocking the CPU with "setfsb", but, gave up.....too many blue screens PLUS a "Windows timing" issue that occurs. The CPU shows that it is running over 2Ghz anyway, on all cores, with PPro because of the built in Windows "turbo" feature AND Asus's "turbo" setting. I have even taken "pesky Canon MOV " footage, converted to the free cineform, THEN was able to edit 4 tracks simultaneously in full resolution, ( using 5.03 PPro). I could then add accelerated effects until the Afterburner window showed the GPU was fully saturated at 100% !!!

I am interested to know if you have adjusted any OTHER settings on the GPU...besides the memory clock....to achieve a better performance. Or, if you have achieved the best and most stable results overclocking the video memory ONLY. The only problem with my similar laptop to yours was after 3 years, the GPU cooling fan became noisy, then stopped working intermittently. I blew out the rear port with a SHOP VAC many times to get it running again successfully. I finally gave up and CAREFULLY disassembled the laptop according to videos on youtube and EASILY fixed the fan by taking it apart and cleaning it....there was NO dust in the ducts or on the fan...the fan was BINDING internally between the rotor and the sleeve magnet. Hopefully, you do NOT encounter this problem !!! the most difficult part was detaching and reattaching the tiny ribbon cables with a tweezer and magnifying glasses !!!