6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2015 12:50 PM by bobmikescigars

InDesign CC 2014 very slow performance, almost unusable.

stevieB2B

Hello All,

Running InDesign CC 2014 on Mid 2010 Mac Pro, 2.4GHz, 36GB RAM, OSX 10.9.4.

When moving an image or text box InDesign hangs and beach ball spins. I've removed preferences, cleaned Mac cache and ran Onyx. Still slow with InDesign. Other CC apps work fine.
      I have the same Apps and set up on 4 other MacPros with no issues.

Does anyone have a solution or a work round?

Thanks

• 1. Re: InDesign CC 2014 very slow performance, almost unusable.
          aai-marketing

I am having the same issues. I recently switched from working off my local drive to working off of a NAS using AFP. My testing shows that I am getting normal performance from my 1GB/s network between the Mac and the NAS and am not having issues other than in InDesign. I'm using CC 2014 and have not tried going back to CC just to see if the new version is the culprit, but I will certainly give this a shot. As stevieB2B states, InDesign hangs, stutters and sometime crashes when performing regular document edits. Saving and printing is unbearably slow on a 7MB InDesign file with only 70MB of linked images.

MId 2012 Mac Pro 32GB RAM, 2 x 2.4 GHz, 6 Core, 10.9.4

• 2. Re: InDesign CC 2014 very slow performance, almost unusable.
            macaddict416

Having a similar issue with CC 2014 on 2014 iMac 27" i7 3.5ghz Turbo - 3.9, 32gb of ram, 2gb Nvidia 775M, 1TB SS drive. Has Adobe even aware of these issues?

• 3. Re: InDesign CC 2014 very slow performance, almost unusable.
              whileliter

Have exact same issue on  my Windows 7 machine. Resetting preferences is a workaround.

So I start InDesign whilst holding down these keys.

Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac)

Whilst inDesign is usable again with this fix- I have to do it every time so it trashes all my preferences so NOT GOOD long term fix. Otherwise InDesign freezes and can only be stopped by forcing a quit.

I have manually deleted the preference files and I have created a brand new admin account - but still no luck - will be onto support tomorrow

• 4. Re: InDesign CC 2014 very slow performance, almost unusable.
                whileliter Level 1

Update - OK I have set the "Sync Settings" to sync all in my preferences and pressed "sync now".

Now even though I still have to "reset preferences", as Adobe calls it, by holding with Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac) on startup, the preferences are remembered - even units.

Its 2 am in UK so I'm not even going to try and understand - got to get my project finished - I bought InDesign to use not troubleshoot. This workaround works for now for me.

PS In Windows each time I start using the reset i have to click Yes to accept InDesign making changes to computer files.

• 5. Re: InDesign CC 2014 very slow performance, almost unusable.
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is probably being caused by some background utility you are running.

• 6. Re: InDesign CC 2014 very slow performance, almost unusable.
                    bobmikescigars

I suggest you disconnect any ethernet cable as well as wi-fi. This will not fix the problem if you need to be online or connect to a server for any shared files. However if this test works (it did for me twice on two different machines), then you can help resolve this problem by letting Adobe know it worked for you.

Unfortunately it is not a complete fix, nor is it any fix if you have to work on a network. I discovered this after more than 8 hours of phone support with Adobe, and almost the same amount with Apple.

By the way, David Blatner has some great suggestions that may also work. Go to:  http://indesignsecrets.com/why-is-indesign-soooo-slow.php

Good luck!