4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2014 4:28 AM by Abdul L Koyappayil RSS

Checking HTML 5 validation is successful or not

Abdul L Koyappayil Community Member

I need to check whether HTML 5 native validation is successful or not. Based on this I need to call an ajax function.

An example code is here. http://jsfiddle.net/inDiscover/4Pbcp/

Also providing the example code as below.

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<head>

<title>jQuery UI Dialog: Open Dialog on Clicksssssssssss</title>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="../css/jquery-ui.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" href="../css/style.css" />

<script type="text/javascript" src="../scripts/jquery.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="../scripts/jquery-ui.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="../scripts/jquery.validate.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">

$(function(){

$("#pop_submit").click(function()

{

alert("am here");

//return false;

});

});

</script>

</head>

<body>

<div id="popup" style="display:block">

<form action="" name="pop_up_form" id="pop_up_form" method="post">

<input class="pop_up_textbox" type="text" name="acct_nmbr" id="acct_nmbr" required maxlength="19" value=""/>

<input type="submit" name="pop_submit" id="pop_submit" style="display:block;" />

</form>

</div>

</body>

</html>

Here in the jquery code I have put an alert while submitting the button. But I need to show this alert only after successful HTML 5 native validation. If any one can point me out that is how can I achieve this then I can call an ajax function instead of an alert message after successful HTML 5 native validation.

I know we can use JQuery Validator to validate a form by using valid() method but I don't wanna go in that way. I need to know whether my HTML 5 native validation is successful and if it is I need to do some logic.

• 1. Re: Checking HTML 5 validation is successful or not
          Carl Von Stetten Community Member

This is not a ColdFusion-related question.  In fact, the code you listed above has zero ColdFusion tags in it.  You would be better off posting this on StackOverflow, and use the "HTML5" and "JavaScript" tags on the question.

-Carl V.

• 2. Re: Checking HTML 5 validation is successful or not

Thanks for you comments Carl. I knew this before posting here. As you suggested I posted in stackoverflow but no luck , I posted in jquery forumn too but use there too...

I am using this in one of my coldfusion application. I thought, if any of you CF guys are aware of this I can seek help from.

• 3. Re: Checking HTML 5 validation is successful or not
              Carl Von Stetten Community Member

Abdul,

I meant no disrespect.  There are many who use these forums who don't understand the difference between client-side and server-side code, and only see things from the "ColdFusion perspective".  They tend to ask any and all web-development related questions here, rather than in more appropriate forums.  With only the little bit of information provided in your post to go on, I unwittingly painted you with the same brush.  For that I apologize.

I'm probably not the only one who drew this conclusion, though.  If you had included this little bit in your original post:

As you suggested I posted in stackoverflow but no luck , I posted in jquery forumn too but use there too...

it would have been apparent that you had made efforts to find an answer in those more appropriate places, and forum members would be less likely to skip over your question.

Anyway, I just did a little Googling, and may have an answer for you.  Take a look at the checkValidity() form method (an HTML5 API method) to see if this will accomplish what you need.  An excellent tutorial on native HTML5 form validation can be found here.  I'll post this answer on your StackOverflow question too, in case it helps others.

-Carl V.

• 4. Re: Checking HTML 5 validation is successful or not

Thanks Carl... I understand....

Thanks for your help and it is really appreciated. I got answer for the problem after reading the link that you posted.

I have marked my question (that I posted in StackOverflow) as "answered" against your comments.

Thanks again.