2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2014 11:30 AM by eloiine

Please help me , I don't manage to make the Lens blur work on after effect CC

eloiine

Hi!

Here is my problem:

WHen I change the value of the Blur radius..nothing happens..
      Can't use the blur map neither.

The only value that seems to work is the Roundness

I followed several tutorials to use it, the one from video copilot and adobe

VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/after-effects-cs55-new-creative-techniques/ae-cs55-camera-lens-b lur-effect/

I put the effect directly on the video in the composition..Then try to precompose it , then try to add it on an effect layer..but none of these work...
      What am I doing wrong?

I am on mac ox maverick + i3,06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo , and I have ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 Mo

Hope you can help me!!!

• 1. Re: Please help me , I don't manage to make the Lens blur work on after effect CC
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you pre-composed your depth matte you did not move all attributes to the new composition. Make sure you have selected the Move All Elements when you pre-compose.

You might want to give my technique a try. I find it easier and you do not have to pre-compose.

Step by step:

1. Create a new comp from your footage
          2. Add Lens Blur to the footage layer
          3. Make sure the Footage layer is NOT selected in the timeline
          4. Select the rectangle tool in the Tool Bar by pressing the Q key
          5. Make sure that Stroke is set to off and fill is set to gradient
          6. Edit the gradient if needed so it is linear and black to white
          7. Double click the Rectangle tool to add a new shape layer
          8. Press the V key to select the direct selection tool
          9. Set the blend mode of the shape layer to overlay (you will change this later)
          10. Select the footage layer
          11. Set the blur map for Camera Lens Blur to the Shape layer
          12. Crank up the blur radius to about 50 so you can easily see the result
          13. Set the Blur Focal Distance to about 128 to put the center of focus at the gray point of the gradient
          14. Select the Shape Layer and reveal the Gradient Fill then select it to see the start and end points
          15. Adjust the Start and end points of the gradient to set your focus point, the blend mode makes this easier to see
          16. Turn off the Shape Layer Visibility to return the footage to a normal look.
          17. Adjust the Blur radius to achieve the look you want

I find this faster than using Gradient Fill and you have the advantage of being able to create a much more complex gradient to control your focus in a much more realistic way.

• 2. Re: Please help me , I don't manage to make the Lens blur work on after effect CC
            eloiine Level 1

thanks a lot!! It does work now..the mistake I made was to put the gradient effect on a pre-compose layer instead of the shape layer