6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2014 7:46 AM by HannahLBphoto

My RAW files look fine on my camera but turn darker with a purple tint on Photoshop and Bridge

HannahLBphoto

I took some pictures at a gig last night, the lighting was quite good for a change and I was really pleased with how they turned out. The lighting at the gig gave all the photographs a red tint which I don't like but they were all bright enough. As soon as I opened them up in Adobe Bridge they all looked fine one minute but then gradually started to change to a much darker purple colour! I opened them up in Photoshop and they were the same. I then put the card back in my camera and they were fine again, brighter and more detailed with a red tint. When I opened them up in Bridge again they were dark! Any suggestions on why this is happening?

• 1. Re: My RAW files look fine on my camera but turn darker with a purple tint on Photoshop and Bridge
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Assuming these are raw photos:

What you see in-camera and initially in Bridge is the camera-rendering of the raw data using whatever the camera settings were.

After a second or two, you see the Adobe-rendering of the raw data, using whatever the default Adobe settings are.

If you have a Canon or Nikon camera, have you tried changing the Camera Profile to Camera Standard instead of Adobe Standard?

• 2. Re: My RAW files look fine on my camera but turn darker with a purple tint on Photoshop and Bridge
            HannahLBphoto Level 1

Hi, thanks for replying.

They are raw photos, and this has never happened when i've used raw photographs before. How do I change the default Adobe settings, where is the option? The images have also lost detail and become slightly blurred as well.

• 3. Re: My RAW files look fine on my camera but turn darker with a purple tint on Photoshop and Bridge

Highlight/select one of the photos in Bridge that you have not applied any adjustments to, yet, and right-click then choose Open in Camera Raw and look at the values for the sliders on the various tabs.  The “factory defaults” from Adobe are As Shot for WB, mostly zeros for all the sliders, except Sharpening and Color Noise Reduction, and Adobe Standard for the camera profile in the Camera Calibration area.  If that is what your initial settings are in the Camera Raw plug-in for a photo you haven’t made any adjustments to, then your defaults are as expected.  The one change I suggested was to set the camera profile to Camera Standard if your camera model has such an option.

To reset your camera raw defaults to whatever Adobe ships with, you click the three-lines-three-dots menu icon at the right of the title bar for the tab you’re in where it says Basic or Detail or Tone Curve or whatever, and choose Reset Camera Raw Defaults.  The menu item just above that is where you save new camera raw defaults as the current settings of the current photo, so be careful not to do that unless that is what you intend to do.  If just this one batch of raw photos looks weird then you don’t want to set customized defaults as that will affect all your future raw files take in normal lighting.

What camera model do you have?  Could it have some auto-fix or HDR mode that changes how the camera-jpgs look, as compare to what Adobe is getting, which is the raw sensor data that it interprets without the benefit of camera-only functions?

Adobe’s camera profiles don’t handle extreme lighting situations very well, with blue being a particular problem, so maybe that is what is happening in these photos, the blue is getting amplified and turning the reds to purples.

Can you post a raw file?  Upload it to http://www.dropbox.com/ and post a public download link to it, here in a message.

• 4. Re: My RAW files look fine on my camera but turn darker with a purple tint on Photoshop and Bridge
                HannahLBphoto Level 1

My camera is Canon 1100D. I think I have cracked it, I changed the camera profile to camera portrait and it does look better! I think that's how it was to begin with. Just not sure why it changed this time and not all the other times.

Dropbox - IMG_3440.CR2

There's an image. So I assume they will all be okay if I just change them to camera portrait, I hope!

• 5. Re: My RAW files look fine on my camera but turn darker with a purple tint on Photoshop and Bridge

Here is what we're talking about:

2014-07-06_120215.png

In another raw converter, RawTherapee, the image is almost entirely magenta:

2014-07-06_124542.png

Likewise in a raw-analysis program called RawDigger:

2014-07-06_124341.png

Finally, in Canon's DPP software we can see the image is using the Portrait Picture Style:

2014-07-06_132448.png

But if we change the Picture Style to Standard, then the lighting appears to be more magenta, again:

2014-07-06_132523.png

Which is especially apparent if we brighten things a little:

2014-07-06_133005.png

So my analysis would be that the Adobe Standard was a reasonable rendering of the raw data and camera white-balance, it's just that the camera was set to some non-standard settings, so corresponding adjustments needed to be made in Adobe software to match.

• 6. Re: My RAW files look fine on my camera but turn darker with a purple tint on Photoshop and Bridge
                    HannahLBphoto Level 1

Yes thank you! It was on portrait mode on my camera so maybe that's why. Thanks for your help, I was panicking a bit because they looked really awful in that colour and it seemed like the quality had gone down. I've edited them now and popped them on my blog Pete Doherty at The Fleece in Bristol and My Glastonbury Experience |

Great advice, I'm relatively new to working with raw files and this was very helpful.