7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2014 10:05 AM by rajsre

retain text format after place and link

indesignwannabe

how to retain text size and color in the child page after place and link from the parent page?

• 1. Re: retain text format after place and link
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

On the links panel flyout arrow select link options and turn on appearance and size and shape

• 2. Re: retain text format after place and link
            indesignwannabe Level 1

I tried that but it doesn't work.

• 3. Re: retain text format after place and link
              indesignwannabe Level 1

Hi Salah, can you help me how to make it work? is there any other way?

• 4. Re: retain text format after place and link
                Salah Fadlabi Level 5

After you change any setting to the original text go to links panel and click update link.

• 5. Re: retain text format after place and link
                  rajsre Adobe Employee

Is your placed text mapping to a different text style definition than the source text style?

You can control this by "map style" option in the conveyor, if destination document has text styles already defined

Or, if you don't want to do any style mapping settings:

Do not keep same style names in destination (in which case the original style will prevail with same definitions).

• 6. Re: retain text format after place and link
                    indesignwannabe Level 1

Hi Rajsre, the problem is I cant retain the text size of the child page after linking from the parent page, even if I turn on the link option and ticked the appearance and size. I tried also to define custom style mapping and new set style mapping, but no options appearing when I scroll down the source style/mapped style panel.

• 7. Re: retain text format after place and link
                      rajsre Adobe Employee

If your source and child documents have same style names but different style definitions, the child document styles will prevail on the linked text by default.

To know if this is causing the trouble, please do this test:

1. Rename the source Paragraph style (i.e. the style which you have applied to the text which you are going to place and link). Example: Rename it as "Source_xxx" (make sure this style name does not exist in the child document.

2. Do place and link

Is the source style retained with same style definitions in the child document?

If you don't want to change the source style name, please make sure the child document does not contain any same style names as in the source document. If there are same style names, rename them.

If you don't want to do any of the above steps, then make use of style mapping. Before you do a mapping setting you need to make sure you have right set of styles already defined at child level so that you can make use of the style mapping for each styles, source > child. For that:

1. If you are making use of content collector tool: click on Edit custom style mapping button > select your source document and style category > then click on the New Style mapping button > then select your source style and the corresponding child style to which you want to map (in the left and right columns of the mapping dialog)

2. You can also access the settings from Links panel flyout > Link options > Define customs style mapping > click on Settings...