26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2014 5:53 AM by A.T. Romano

how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?

VA3UV

Hi All:

I am using a trial version of Adobe Elements 12.  I am trying to burn a large (30+ GB) project to DVD.  I need to burn this to multiple DVDs; is this possible with Elements?

Thx,

Ramesh.

• 1. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Each DVD will need to be a different project, with different files, since there is no "burning interruptus" feature

Also, be aware that ALL OUTPUT from the trial version will have a watermark added to the output files

Remove Watermark http://forums.adobe.com/thread/433730?tstart=30

• 2. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
            VA3UV Level 1

Hi John:

I was afraid of that!

Is there any way that I can view the size of the project (output) dynamically as I rebuild it? - i.e., without having to go to the burn to DVD option to check the size of the output every time?

And yes, the watermark - rather annoying - I'll gladly buy a license once I know the s/w will do what I want it to

Thanks,

Ramesh.

• 3. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ramesh

Where is this 30+ GBs content at this time - on the Timeline of one Premiere Elements 12 project?

If so, is the project edited and ready to go onto the next stages of disc menu and burn to? Are you envisioning a menu for each disc?

What exactly is this - burn to DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc or burn to AVCHD on DVD disc?

Are your viewers confined to DVD disc 4.7 GB/120 min? Can they view from DVD disc 8.5 GB/240 min?

ATR

• 4. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                VA3UV Level 1

Hi ATR:

The 30+ GB content has all been imported into PR EL 12 and presently appears on the timeline.  This is my first 'trial' using this s/w so hence I was not aware of any limitations when importing content.

The project has been rendered and ready to be burned to disc.  Menu for each disc - may be - I tried the Instant Movie feature - and didn't like the compressed (I'll call it "Quick Movie" flash-dash output).

I was attempting to burn it to Widescreen / DVD.

I just happen to have some 4.7GB single layer DVDs on-hand.  I see that PR EL can burn to BD as well, so one thought was to buy a BD burner and some BD discs, which i believe will bump me up to 25GB or so... and then, may be, a 32GB project just might (??) compress down to a 25GB BD??

Thx,

Ramesh.

• 5. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Ramesh

I did not see your reply to John (post numbered 2) until after I had just posted (post numbered 3).

The only way to monitor the size of what you are building on the Timeline is to have the DVD disc in the burner tray and periodically move to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD (if that is what you are doing) disc and look at the Space Required and Bitrate in the Quality Area of the burn dialog with a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space".

Remember, for DVD labelled 4.7 GB/120 min, that is in reality 4.38 GB; and, for DVD labelled 8.5 GB/240 min, that is in reality 7.95 GB.

But the answers (including menu for each disc or not, etc)  to my prior questions will help us fine tune the reply.

Have you considered just building x number of projects each using a different theme content, each burned to its own disc?

ATR

• 6. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Ramesh

For what you describe the Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc would be the best way to go instead of DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc.

But, will your viewer have a player for the Blu-ray?

The menu for each disc is going to be a labored process since you probably have Timeline markers in place. Those Timeline markers do not move with the associated content. If you have to make your present already edited project work with a tolerated 8 DVD 4.7/120 min discs, then I can suggest a plan which would include

a. determining the first 4 GB segment, disabling the rest of the Timeline, setting Timeline markers, applying menu which is specific for the first segment, and burn to for segment one.

b. deleting segment 1, moving the rest of the Timeline to the start of the Timeline, leaving everything but the first 4 GB segment enabled, reestablishing the Timeline markers, applying menu which is specific for second segment, burn to for that second one.

c. and so on.

But, before each burn to, you will need to reestablish the Timeline markers and create a new disc menu.

Please review and consider and then let us know of any of your project details that might impact the above comments.

ATR

• 7. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                      VA3UV Level 1

So I purchased a BD burner and dropped another $99 for the full version of PE 12.

Imported my 32GB project - clicked on Render - and I still have the annoying watermark across my movie.

The promising thing is that it appears that I will be able to shrink this to fit on to one BD.

How do I remove the watermark?

$250 later!

Ramesh.

Sent from my iPhone

• 9. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

VA3UV

Now let me tell you the rest of the story which is not told in the link that was provided for you in post 8.

The good and and the not so good news.

You cannot remove the Adobe watermark from an export from the tryout project file, be that export a burn to disc or an export where you save your Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive. So, good news is that you now know that you can get successfully everything you want onto one Blu-ray disc 25 GB. Not so good news is that you have invested a Blu-ray disc in the name of discovery if the disc was a BD-R 25 GB instead of a BD-RE GB.

Back to the good news. You can open the tryout project file in the purchased program and use the Expert workspace, Timeline Menu/Delete Render Files to remove the Adobe watermark and then do the Timeline content burn to Blu-ray again - no Adobe watermark. Many of us, including myself, have found that just opening the tryout project file in the purchased product removes the Adobe watermark. But, one way of the other should work for you.

Please let us know if you are OK with all the details that you need for success.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                          VA3UV Level 1

OK, I re-opened the project in PE and the watermark seems to have gone!

Attempt 1 to burn it to a BD disc failed - at first, there was a message about a transcoding error @ 1% through the process.  I ignored it, came back an hour or so later and got the infamous 'unexpected Error / application needs to be restarted"

Attempt 2 is in progress right now - again at 1% I see a transcoding error.   am letting it run overnight (or until it crashes, whichever comes first).

Needless to say, after dropping $250 on this and Adobe nickel and diming me for $99 just so that I can "try out their product without the darn watermark" I am not impressed.  Heck Adobe, just give your customers a limited use license!

At first the "buy now" takes me to a website offering a license for $79.  Due to some browser incompatibility issue, I had to resubmit (manually) via another browser and here, the $79 offer was not available - and Adobe's online help Agent was as useful as I am finding this product right now!

This is not an open source / freebie product, so my expectations are somewhat higher!

End of rant!

Ramesh.

Sent from my iPhone

• 11. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Ranesh

Do not give up. We are not Adobe. Just user like yourself who has been up and down these troubleshooting roads. The bumps in the road will get less.

First, hope you are using BD-RE 25 GB and not BD-R GB until the workflow settles in. Whatever the case......

a. With your Blu-ray disc in the burner tray and you at the burn dialog ready to hit the Burn Button for burn to Blu-ray, what does the Quality area of the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate? If Space Required is less than 23 GB, be sure not to have a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space".

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Blu-ray Burn Dialog "Fit Content to Available Space" Choice

Also, keep in mine that the BD-R or BD-RE label 25 GB is in reality 23.28 GB.

Where are you getting these burn errors....encoding menus, encoding media, compiling media, or in the burn stage?

If in the compiling media, lots of footage to inspect for gaps, fragments of clips thought deleted, et al.

We will be watching for your progress.

Success will come soon.

ATR

• 12. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                              VA3UV Level 1

Hi ATR:

The transcoding error, is during the 'burn to BD' process - it is after

I click on Publish & Share - select BD and the burn process starts

(pre-burn to BD disc to be exact).

3+ hours later and the progress bar is still at 1%.

Somehow, I don't think this is going to work!

I have just stopped the burn to BD process so that I can get back to the

screen showing the size required and bit-rate... wow!

Without me clicking on fit to disc:

Size required:  200.84GB(Bitrate 20.19Mbps)

Seems like a "project" in itself!

Thanks for your help....

Ramesh.

• 13. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Ramesh

Something does not look right.

What was the Space Required and Bitrate with the check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"?

And, you are sure of that 200.84 GB Bitrate 20.19 Mbps with no check mark next to "Fit Contents to Available Space"?

That burn to for that amount of content is going to take time, so I would not stop the burn to process unless you are

forced to by error message. But, some more homework on this before you start another burn to.

ATR

• 14. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                                  VA3UV Level 1

OK, it's late here (Eastern time zone), so I am about to hit the sack. I

started a new project and imported one of my video folders.  Rendered

that and hit 'Publish & Share' - I chose the DVD option since I didn't

want to waste a BD!

I am using single layer DVD's and had to select the fit to available

space option.

Let's see how it goes overnight to see if I can get anything out of this

- it may be the encouragement that I need to stick with Adobe or may be

to find something else.

Thanks!

Ramesh.

• 15. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Ramesh

I think that we are in the same zone. It is pushing 1 am here.

When you return to the thread, could you let me know what the total duration of your Timeline is? And, what the Space Required and Bitrate

are for the burn to with the check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space". I am guessing you will see something like 22.55 GB with a bitrate

of 2.34 Mbps or less.

With the "Fit Content to Available Space", you can manage from the point of view of seeing Status = Ready for quite some time

as the program lowers the bitrate to fit content to the disc capacity - 20.19 Mbps to at least 2.34 Mbps. But if you need to go to 2.34 Mbps, I would

question what the quality of the end product would be.

Are you now revisiting the idea of segments of the project on multi discs, each a project onto itself? If you continue in that path, I

wonder if one or more segments might fail to reflect the Timeline flaws that might have created issues in the burn to Blu-ray?

I will check your thread in the light of day for progress report.

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting.

ATR

• 16. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                                      VA3UV Level 1

Hi ATR,

Well the Burn to DVD for the one / smaller portion is still in progress!

It is at 6% progress and I see the same transcoding error.  I will leave it alone and see what happens.  At this point, I cannot view the size of the project, bitrate, etc.

I wonder if a Skype chat would help and may be I can attempt to show you what's happening?

Ramesh.

Sent from my iPhone

• 17. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Ramesh

Thanks for the follow up.

I cannot do the Skype chat suggestion. But let us see what we can do with the information exchange in the thread.

How much did you put into the first smaller portion of the whole?

Please look for basic flaws in your Timeline as well as how much you are trying to get on that first DVD with that first smaller

portion. Expand the Timeline with the -+ slider (above the Timeline) to max.

The following is an Adobe document on Troubleshooting issues related to burn to.

Troubleshoot system errors, freezes | Burning DVDs, blu-ray discs | Premiere Elements | Windows

But, it might be interesting to go on to the next "small" portion to see if this second portion runs into the transcoding

error message. Looking at these separate portions may help us localize the problem or indicate that the problem runs

across the whole Timeline.

More later.

ATR

• 18. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                                          VA3UV Level 1

Hi ATR:

The timeline sliders are covered by the burn status window at the

moment.... which btw, is still showing 6%.

I have some errands to run, so I'll let it continue this morning - if

this is still at 6% by say Noon, I may have to kill it - that will be ~

12 hours since I started this job... I can't believe that it is taking

this long.

Previously, I used some s/w from Sony that came with my old camcorder -

and while it had some issues - it was fairly easy to use and one could

create a reasonable DVD within a few hours.

Having said that, I have just purchased a new Sony HD Camcorder, which

came with some new s/w (which I haven't even unpacked yet), so may be I

should....

Cheers,

Ramesh.

• 19. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                                            VA3UV Level 1

Hi ATR:

Well after approx 12 hours and the burn status still holding at 6% I stopped the job!

Here are some stats of my video:

Segment 1: 19 mins and 15 seconds

Space required: 17GB, 8Mbps (preset set to NTSC wide screen Dolby DVD).

When I click on fit to available space:

4.38GB, 2.05Mbps

This of course is still trying to write to the single layer DVD.

I'm beginning to run out of time.

Now, I do see a red 'x' in the bottom left hand corner of my PR EL window.  When I click on that, I see a bunch of low level exception messages in the event window.... But I can't seem to drill down on the errors to see what the low level exception is all about!

Ramesh.

Sent from my iPhone

• 20. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

VA3UV

You are definitely trying to have the program put too much 17 GB on the DVD disc spec'd at 4.7 GB/120 minutes. Focus here the real capacity of that disc being 4.38 GB. To make the fit, the program has to take that bitrate down to 2.05 Mbps (I think the lowest possible is 1.69 Mbps.) Even if you could get a complete burn to disc in this instance, you would probably not be happy with the quality.

Let me ask you this (maybe I missed it in the above), what is the resolution of your Timeline content - 720 x 480, 1280 x 720, 1920 x 1080, or other?

And, what is the total duration of your edited Timeline content?

ATR

• 21. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                                                VA3UV Level 1

Hi ATR:

Well... I killed the previous job.  Stopped PE and re-opened my test project.  Looking at the timeline, there was some green coloured "raster" garbage immediately following my video.

I deleted that and then attempted to burn to disc (not sure if this is the 3rd or 4th attempt) - this time, the project size was under 2GB at 8Mbps and voila - it burned to DVD very quickly, I was able to watch the progress bar increase - and no errors!

So finally, I have my 20min test clip burned to DVD.

I will try my larger video again this evening.  I may also try to break it up into 2 projects on 2 BDs.

I think the key here was to look at the entire timeline, per your earlier suggestion.  I did look at it earlier - but didn't see any if the green raster stuff.

I will let you know how my next attempt goes.

Thanks for staying with me!

Cheers,

Ramesh.

Sent from my iPhone

• 22. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Ramesh

Can you hear me applauding your success there from here.

What great news. More to go, but nonetheless great news. Glad that you found what appears to be the probable cause of those transcoding errors. Great job.

We will be watching for further developments.

Sounding very good.

Thanks.

ATR

• 23. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                                                    VA3UV Level 1

Hi ATR:

Since restarting the project from scratch, I was able to successfully create a 21GB (~2 hr video on a blue ray disc).

I have not personally watched the BD - but the kids tell me that the output was good and of high quality!

I have started a new project, importing the last / folders containing last year's holiday!

I think you mentioned in an earlier reply about starting afresh when moving from the trial version to the full / licensed version.  May be that was the key to my success....

Let's see if I have the same luck with this next disc.

Thank you again for your help and encouragement!

Ramesh.

Sent from my iPhone

• 24. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Ramesh

Thanks for the update. Sounding very very good, and you are getting positive feedback from your viewers.

Sometimes it is just a matter of starting a new project that overcomes the shortcomings of the original project. But, when so much work

is invested in the original, it is hard to think new project.

Your decisions have been good, and we are looking forward to continuing good news. Great job.

Best wishes

ATR

• 25. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                                                        VA3UV Level 1

Hi ATR:

I was able to successfully create a second project (the 2nd half of last

year's vacation) and burn that to a BD.

I watched that on a large 65" Samsung TV this evening and the quality is

fantastic - I say this because the camcorder that I used last year was

an entry-level Cannon (~ $275 or so).

I mentioned earlier in our exchange that I have just purchased a Hi-Def

Sony Camcorder (HDR-PJ650VB) - which I have yet to use... so I am hoping

that things will only improve from here.

If I have time, I may go back and revisit these 2 video projects that I

have just created and see if I can 'dress them up' with a menu and so on

(I didn't bother with any fancy stuff for the first run).

Cheers from Toronto!

Ramesh.

• 26. Re: how can I burn a large project to multiple DVDs?
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Ramesh

We are so very pleased with your results and are glad that you stayed with the troubleshooting.

The high level of success is topped by the large screen TV viewing with fantastic quality.

Many thanks for the follow ups.

ATR