12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2014 6:23 PM by Victor Wolansky

select focus area bug?

Victor Wolansky Level 2

HI! does anyone else have this problem? when I use the select focus area tool, after that, my copy past buffer gets corrupted, and I can't copy paste anything else on Photoshop until I actually restart Photoshop.

Windows 8.1 64 ...   will test on other computers I have too as soon as I can.

• 1. Re: select focus area bug?
          Brett N Adobe Employee

Seems to be working fine for me.

Any change if you go to Edit > Purge > Clipboard?

• 2. Re: select focus area bug?
            Victor Wolansky Level 2

I did. But does not change anything. Also if I copy stuff, the paste is all corrupted. Just garbage.

Sent from the Moon

• 3. Re: select focus area bug?
              Victor Wolansky Level 2

Also I rebooted a few times, still broken. Will check on my office computer to see if I can get it to work. May be there is something wrong on my laptop.

Sent from the Moon

• 4. Re: select focus area bug?
                Brett N Adobe Employee

I have heard of some MS Office applications causing problems for with the Clipboard.

• 5. Re: select focus area bug?
                  Victor Wolansky Level 2

There are no MS office applications running, and this happens only if I run the focus area selection, so I haughty doubt it is related to any MS app, since running this command should not even put anything on the clipboard to start with. Forgot to test at my other computers. :-(. Will try tomorrow.

Sent from the Moon

• 6. Re: select focus area bug?
                    Brett N Adobe Employee

There is a specific application that comes with Office that deals with just the Clipboard. I don't remember the name of it, but it runs in the background, so you never see it running. It is used to format the information in the clipboard so it is compatible with all Office apps (whether moving from one Office app to another or from a third-party app to an Office app).

You are right though, nothing should be added to or modified in the clipboard by using the Focus Area. Which brings up the question: Is there anything in the Clipboard before you use Focus Area? If not, is there anything in it afterward? You can check Edit > Purge and see if Clipboard lights up.

• 7. Re: select focus area bug?
                      Victor Wolansky Level 2

I did already, was nothing in there. And it works fine in my office computer….   So I think I will re install Photoshop and see if still gives me trouble

Thanks!

• 8. Re: select focus area bug?
                        Victor Wolansky Level 2

Ok....  I was able to reproduce it on more than one computer, another one at home, and 2 more at the office, and I'm 99% sure is a bug. It didn't happen at the office the first time I tried because was a different image, but then I tried with the same and happened. The image has to be 16 bits to happen, if is only 8 bits works fine.  Just select any photo (16 bits) , in my case are 36 MP (7360x4912) photos, do the focus selection, so it just give you a selection, copy the selection, paste in a new layer, and move it around, all will look messed up and a lot of garbage on the screen. It is also related to the size of the photo. If I reduce the photo to lets say, 5000 pixels on the longer side, it works fine. It is not the GPU because I turned OFF the use of the GPU, and also have at the office a Quadro 6000 which if I'm not mistaken have 6GB which is more than enough for a 36MP image. TechPowerUp GPU reports the GPU is using only 400MB.

Capture.JPG

• 9. Re: select focus area bug?
                          Brett N Adobe Employee

Is that image above created by saving the file as JPEG? Or is that a screen shot?

This seems like an issue with display not refreshing properly, which would be related to your video card and/or its driver. When you disable the GPU, are you doing this before opening the image? The GPU setting doesn't happen instantly, it only applies to images opened after the setting has been changed.

But I still am unable to reproduce it. On either Windows or Mac. On my Windows machine, I'm using a much smaller video card (only 512 MB of VRAM) and even with an image matching your description and performing the exact same steps, everything behaves perfectly fine on my side.

• 10. Re: select focus area bug?
                            Victor Wolansky Level 2

In this case is a screenshot. I ca reproduce this on every single computer I try following the steps I posted. Remember it needs to be a big image and 16 bits. It is not the video card I can assure you. I'm in one of the computers using a video card with 6 GB of ram. What are the chances that I have the same problem in 12 machines? Tried on every single one at our office.

Want me to record a video of this happening? And post the source image I'm using?

Sent from the Moon

• 11. Re: select focus area bug?
                              Brett N Adobe Employee

I'm working with an images exactly as you have described (same pixel dimensions and depth).

A video demonstration may show something detail that is being missed and posting the file may show that the issue is related to a file detail being missed.

Are you using the same video card and driver version on all computers?

• 12. Re: select focus area bug?
                                Victor Wolansky Level 2

No, they are all different machines, although I have Nvidia chips on all of them. I will record it as soon as I can. Will try before the weekend.

Sent from the Moon