2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2014 11:56 PM by josh6020

Help with EAN-13 barcode

josh6020

I'm doing a product label in InDesign and need to put in a barcode. The barcode should meet these guidelines:

http://www.gs1au.org/assets/documents/info/technical/fact_sheets_2014/Fact_Sheet_1_EAN_13_ Bar_Code_Symbol_Specifications.pdf

Essentially, the figure needs to be 22.85mm high and 31.35mm wide.

Because it is not possible to generate barcodes internally in InDesign and specialty plugins are expensive, I decided to use a web service to generate the figure. I settled on this one:

http://barcode.tec-it.com/?group=BCGroup_EAN&barcode=EAN13

The figure height is nonstandard but hopefully passes for practical use.

My problem is: when I place the figure in InDesign I can never be sure it would print at the correct size. I know that if I go to File > Place and do a single click I get the image at 100%. But even then the results are all over the place. I guess I could manually scale to the ruler (in millimeter mode) but that is tedious and generally doesn't seem like the way to go. Is there a simpler way I've been missing?

• 1. Re: Help with EAN-13 barcode
          Ellis home Level 4

If I read correctly the link you posted the barcode dimensions need to be w=37.29mm x h=25.93mm. There's actually an extension within Indesign that generates Barcodes. You can go to Window/Extensions/Adobe Exchange (I'm using Indesign CC 2014) and search for EAN Barcode Generator. What exactly do you mean by "the results are all over the place".

• 2. Re: Help with EAN-13 barcode
            josh6020 Level 1

Hi,

>If I read correctly the link you posted the barcode dimensions need to be [...]

Correct, that's for the complete figure including the numbers and the spacing.

>search for EAN Barcode Generator

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I tried the plugin and it does exactly what I need!

>What exactly do you mean by "the results are all over the place".

I mean that File/Place/Single Click gives unexpected results. A gif file from that barcode generator is placed at w=80mm,h=35mm, but a png file with the same pixel dimensions is placed at w=60mm,h=27mm. I am unable to use online barcode generators to generate an image that can be placed at exactly the standard size.