3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2014 10:39 AM by Rick Gerard

Camera Axis & Motion Effect

wbracki

Hello.

This is my first question to the community.

Does anyone know if there is a way for After Effects to do motion pause and a camera swing?

The effect that I am aiming for is represented in this short clip.

The way the camera pauses and swings to another camera.

I have video footage from two cameras and would like to apply an effect like this if possible.

If this is possible without buying third party software, could you please provide me with a link to the tutorial.

Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: Camera Axis & Motion Effect
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Kind of.... This is a variation on the so called Bullet Time effect. To achieve the results you need at least 2 cameras, three are better, 40 or 100 are even better. In it's simplest form you do a 2.5D projection on a couple of 3D layers and then move the camera between them. If you have a key subject at the focal point of your move you may need to do some roto to separate the subject from the background. You use time remapping or freeze frames slow down the shot. To sell the 3D part of the move you need some distortion effects. The more cameras you have to morph between the less distortion you need to apply. AE's camera tracker, Mocha, or even AE's built in tracker will help position the 3D layers so they line up if your cameras are moving. All that said, if you did not carefully plan your shot with more than one camera, or carefully reshoot the scene from several angles with all of the actors precisely hitting their marks you are completely out of luck.

If none of this makes sense then research bullet time effect, see how it was done in the Matrix movies and how they do it today, then try and figure out a plan. Without seeing your original footage I cannot give you a step by step that will work that is any more specific than Track, Stabilize, sync, Cut, Time Remap, make layers 3D, do any roto that you need to do, animate the camera or morph between shots and do the color grading.

• 2. Re: Camera Axis & Motion Effect
            wbracki Level 1

Thank you Rick.

Here are two small clips of some of the footage. Make sure you put them in 1080 HD.

Of course, they are highly compressed.

They were shot at 59.94fps at 1080p.

We have all the clips rendered at high quality.

YouTube probably would not like that though.

I searched for the bullet time effect. Not much information on it without using 3rd party software.

The bullet time effect will be applied with the first few seconds of the video going from right to left.

I am familiar with Mocha AE or Tracking in After Effects and the 3D layering in Photoshop.

Not so much on Time Remap.

What exactly does that do?

Thank you for the response.

• 3. Re: Camera Axis & Motion Effect
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you were to pick this spot for your 'Bullet time' effect:

Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 10.26.50 AM.png

Here is what you would have to do.

1. Roto the guy and the rope out of both shots for at least one frame and put the guy on one layer and the background on another
              2. You now have 4 layers, two of the guy and rope, two background (the shots must be in sync)
              3. Remove the guy from both background layers so you have clean plates
              4. Complete a morph between the guy in shot 1 and the guy in shot 2
              5. Complete a morph between the background in shot 1 and the background in shot 2
              6. Finish the composite

The Morph would be accomplished by distorting and blending the shots over a few frames so the move would look kind of sort of 3D. Here's the problems you are going to run into.

1. The background is incredibly complex to pull this off with just two angles
              2. The perspective difference between the two shots of the guy is bordering on the extreme because of the difference in the angles
              3. You have no background plate for half way between the two angles
              4. The focal length of the two shots looks to be different so a good match is going to be harder to do.

All of these problems are a result of not planning the shot with an understanding of the post production requirements. I have very little confidence that you will be able to pull off a convincing 'bullet time' effect using these two shots. You will probably be able to do something, but it will be far from perfect.