7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2014 10:40 AM by A.T. Romano

Sound cuts out after 30 seconds

chocolate limes

For a lot of my older videos imported from an older version of Elements, the sound cuts out about 30 secs into the clip.

How can I re-instate it?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Sound cuts out after 30 seconds
          A.T. Romano Level 7

chocolate limes

What version of Premiere Elements are you currently using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What was the older version of the program and on what computer operating system was it running?

What are you using from the older version of Premiere Elements?

a. A project.prel file that you opened in the current version of Premiere Elements?

b. A file that you exported from the older program? If so, what are the properties of that file?

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

What is your project preset in the new problem project in the new program?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Sound cuts out after 30 seconds
            chocolate limes Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for responding so promptly.

The current version of Elements is version 12. The older version was 7.

I am running it on Windows 7.

It is the files I exported from the older program - though now I think I should go and check the project.prel files too.

I will have to look up the properties of the files in in an hour or so - I have to run an errand..

Thanks

• 3. Re: Sound cuts out after 30 seconds
              A.T. Romano Level 7

chocolate limes

We will be looking forward to any additional information that can help us resolve your issue.

It would not be unusual if you had problems with a Premiere Elements 7 project.prel file opened in the latest version, 12.

But, if you are dealing with export from Premiere Elements 7, such as .mov, .wmv. avi and the like, that is another matter.

More later when you have the time.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 4. Re: Sound cuts out after 30 seconds
                chocolate limes Level 1

Hi again ATR,

Ok, the files are......

b. A file that you exported from the older program? If so, what are the properties of that file?

Video compression        - how do I find this out?

Audio compression          - how do I find this out?

Frame Size                      720x576

Frame Rate                      25 fps

Interlaced or Progressive     what does this mean?

File Extension                   .MPG

Pixel Aspect Ratio               How do I find this out?

What is your project preset in the new problem project in the new program?  I'm not sure what this means, but I am just trying to open the files in organiser to make sure they are working ok. So far I'm not trying to do anything else with them.

I hope this information helps - i'm just not sure where to find the rest of it.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Sound cuts out after 30 seconds
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

chocolate limes

Let us do this first.

Delete any trace of this file from the Elements Organizer 12. Close out of there.

Open Premiere Elements 12 Editor to its Expert workspace. In the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/ to get the file

into Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline (Video 1).

a. On the Timeline, does the file have no colored line or an orange line over its contents? If orange line, press the Enter key or the Render button (above the Timeline) to get the best possible preview in the Edit area monitor. Does the file play back with video and audio throughout?

The other question that I have for you at this point, if you right click the file's thumbnail in Project Assets and select Properties, what do you see for pixel aspect ratio and does the information confirm the 720 x 576 and 25 frames per seconds?

We can get video and audio compression (name, codec, status) from the following program named GSpot

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...When you import your file into Premiere Elements, a copy of the file is automatically placed in the Elements Organizer. So after we check the

integrity of the file in Premiere Elements, then we will check the integrity of the file that was automatically placed in the Elements Organizer by the file import into Premiere Elements 12.

• 6. Re: Sound cuts out after 30 seconds
                    chocolate limes Level 1

Hi ATR,

Sorry that this conversation is so disjointed, it is school holidays and we had gym comp. last weekend, so I’m not getting much uninterrupted time on the computer to follow your advice.

So far I am making progress – I have tried opening some of the corrupted files in the Expert Editor workspace, and when I open the file, a dialogue box appears which asks me if I want to fix the errors in the file (or something similar) – so I say ‘yes’ to this and then they open and seem to work fine.

The part I need to get to grips with now is being brave enough to delete the original from the Elements Organiser – and not worry about losing the file completely. Perhaps I will have to experiment with some of my pooper quality videos – or just double check that everything I delete has an original version stored somewhere else.

Because – what happens when I import files straight into Premiere – rather than from other files and folders? Does a copy get created somewhere else? Or is there only one copy stored in Premiere Elements?

I seem to have videos all over the place and not very consistently or satisfactorily catalogued and it seems that if I ever try to move them or rename them, them the computer loses the file path, so I am adrift in a sea of random video files. On my old PC I had files organised by year and then within that by month – but when they were imported into Premiere – they are all listed not by tree – but by folder – so now I have lots of April files and lots of May files etc. etc. Maybe that side of things is worse for the photos than the videos -  frustrating – but I can see have wandered off the point.

I will keep trying.

Thanks

Amanda

• 7. Re: Sound cuts out after 30 seconds
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Amanda

Thanks for the follow up.

You never have originals in Premiere Elements or the Elements Organizer. Each of these places contains thumbnails (copies of the originals which are saved on the computer hard drive). But, very important, these thumbnails need to trace back to the originals which are residing at the hard drive save location. If you move, delete those originals from the location where they were when you imported them (the copies) into Premiere Elements or Elements Organizer, you set yourself up for some nasty project to media or Elements Organizer to media disconnects. But, your originals should not be harmed unless you delete them from their hard drive save location.

Putting aside the Elements Organizer for the moment....when you import media into a Premiere Elements project, copies of those imported media are automatically copied to the Elements Organizer.

If you import files into the Elements Organizer first, you can import them into Premiere Elements

a. right clicking the Elements Organizer's thumbnail for the file and, from the pop up menu, selecting Edit with Premiere Elements Editor

b. select/highlight the Elements Organizer thumbnail for the file, go to the bottom of the workspace, and select Editor/Video Editor

c. in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, go to Add Media/Elements Organizer

Experimenting with non important files, until you are confident of the process, is a good idea.

Exploration and experimentation are keys to success. But, never hesitate to ask if you have questions or need clarification.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR