6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2006 9:20 PM by GraphicsGeezer

Whatever happened to call frame action

GraphicsGeezer Level 1
      Flash contintues to get worse with every improvement to the point where it's almost as useless as the online manual whiich takes half an hour to open and finds trillions of results for every keyword and none for what I want to know. I spent ages learning Flash a couple of versions ago and its so different its like a new program. I really hate it.

So what the bleep happened to the bleeping "call frame" action. And what do I do now, except throw out this bleeping program.

• 1. Re: Whatever happened to call frame action
          Level 7
          > So what the bleep happened to the bleeping "call frame" action.

Call frame was an awful hack because the old actionscirpt was a very limited
          language that did not allow you to have user-defined functions. .. there is
          no need for call frame in a decent scripting language, as there are much
          better ways of doing things (ie functions)

> And what do I do now, except throw out this bleeping program.

Yeup .. throw it out, as you are apparently not willing or able to learn to
          use its improved features.
          --
          Jeckyl

• 2. Re: Whatever happened to call frame action
            Level 7
            dkd;alkje;oihp[oihjl,

> Flash contintues to get worse with every
            > improvement to the point where it's almost
            > as useless as ...

So use an older version, right? Or go outside and play badminton or
            something. ;) Take a jog, maybe; clear your head.

> I spent ages learning Flash a couple of versions
            > ago and its so different its like a new program.
            > I really hate it.

Honestly, I'm sorry to hear you're so upset by it. In truth, the
            program has become a lot more powerful. It does so much *more* than it ever
            used to, which means it allows *me* to do so much more than I ever used to.
            I can't think of another program that does cartoons, web stuff, CD-ROM
            stuff, titling and overlays for video, rich Internet applications, games,
            and the list goes on. Thanks to Flash, I was able to quit my day job,
            believe it or not, and make even more money working from home.

> So what the bleep happened to the bleeping "call
            > frame" action. And what do I do now, except
            > throw out this bleeping program.

Well, you mentioned the documentation that "takes half an hour to open,"
            but all I had to do was hit the F1 key. The Help files opened in less than
            a second. I searched the word "call" and found the "call function" entry
            right away. According to the documentation, this action was deprecated in
            favor of the function statement since Flash 5. You can still use it, of
            course, and the details are right there at your finger tips.

David
            stiller (at) quip (dot) net
            Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
            "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 3. Re: Whatever happened to call frame action
              GraphicsGeezer Level 1
              You're right. I will go out tomorrow and buy an $80 book so I can figure out Flash and all the wonderful things it can do since Version 5. And as for working at home, I'm glad I made that change 10 years ago when men were men and computer programs knew their place.

And as for the help file popping open, it certainly doesn't on my G5. And as for searching for the keyword "call" under Action Script 2, I get at least 200 items, most of them unrelated to my search.
              • 4. Re: Whatever happened to call frame action
                Level 7
                Plus you will get more responsive help in forums as many members are new
                since Flash 5 and those of us who have been before Flash 5, often need a
                double take to remember what the who ha ha way you did various processes now
                improved in the newer versions.

Most of your powerful changes since 5 are in AS, but also player speed and
                the areas of video, sound and pre-built components and that only touches the
                surface.

--
                Lon Hosford
                www.lonhosford.com
                Flash, Actionscript and Flash Media Server examples:
                http://flashexamples.hosfordusa.com
                May many happy bits flow your way!
                "dkd;alkje;oihp[oihjl" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:e89u5a$n9q$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > You're right. I will go out tomorrow and buy an $80 book so I can figure
                > out
                > Flash and all the wonderful things it can do since Version 5. And as for
                > working at home, I'm glad I made that change 10 years ago when men were
                > men and
                > computer programs knew their place.
                >
                > And as for the help file popping open, it certainly doesn't on my G5. And
                > as
                > for searching for the keyword "call" under Action Script 2, I get at least
                > 200
                > items, most of them unrelated to my search.
                >

• 5. Re: Whatever happened to call frame action
                  Level 7
                  dkd;alkje;oihp[oihjl,

>> You're right. I will go out tomorrow and buy an
                  >> $80 book so I can figure out Flash and all the
                  >> wonderful things it can do since Version 5.

Honestly ... it won't cost you $80. Shoot, you could subscribe for one
                  month to the Lynda.com Online Training Library for $25. That would give you
                  hours and hours of video tutorials that feel as if you're looking over the
                  shoulder of a Flash guru. It's go-at-your-own pace and hard to beat, for
                  the money. But your replies are beginning to dissolve into sarcasm, and
                  bitter sarcasm, at that.

>> And as for working at home, I'm glad I made that
                  >> change 10 years ago when men were men and
                  >> computer programs knew their place.

I'm not sure what "men were men" means. I wasn't trying to show off, in
                  case somehow my comment made you flip your lid. I was trying to encourage
                  you.

>> And as for the help file popping open, it certainly
                  >> doesn't on my G5.

I'm sorry to hear that. Most of the Mac users I hear from are always
                  bragging on how powerful their computers are.

>> And as for searching for the keyword "call" under
                  >> Action Script 2, I get at least 200 items, most of
                  >> them unrelated to my search.

Search for "call function," and you'll be there.

David
                  stiller (at) quip (dot) net
                  Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
                  "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 6. Re: Whatever happened to call frame action
                    GraphicsGeezer Level 1
                    Thanks for the tip about lynda.com-- I'll check it out.