7 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2007 10:25 AM by Newsgroup_User

File size discrepancy

treble101 Level 1
      As an 'former' ImageReady user I am a bit confused on saving optimized images.

When I optimize an image with say JPEG quality level 45 it says at the bottom of the window that the resulting image will be 50.71K, but when I save it (File->Save As) it is 63K... It doesn't seem to matter if I am in the 'Original' or 'Preview' mode.

Regardless though the filesize is smaller then when I save the same file with the same Optimization levels (AFAIK) with Photoshop -> Save for Web & Devices (89K).

So after working on an image in Fireworks, by say adjusting levels, some sharpening, and JPEG compression levels, how do you save the resulting file? Is it enough to just hit Save/Save As? Is there a difference between Save/Save As (except for that Save As prompts for a filename)?

Thanks...
        • 1. Re: File size discrepancy
          Level 1
          Treble101,

The thing with Fw CS3, there is a little thing inside of all image files are stored with EXIF information are to built-in and store inside the image files. Because of that, the file size increase a bit.

Uhm, what is the size of your image size as in... say 800pixel by 600pixel resolution? Since I do not know the exact size of your original image file and to what size of what you would like to accomplish? Is it for web image use?

I can't remember the workaround solution to this issue about file size discrepancy created by Fw CS3 as opposed to legacy version of Fireworks or ImageReady. Though, I am not fully familiar with IR application in itself for quite some time. However, I am familiar with Photoshop application for years.

Hope that helps, no?

Cheers, Brian
          • 2. Re: File size discrepancy
            Level 7
            treble101 wrote:

> As an 'former' ImageReady user I am a bit confused on saving optimized images.
            >
            > When I optimize an image with say JPEG quality level 45 it says at the bottom
            > of the window that the resulting image will be 50.71K, but when I save it
            > (File->Save As) it is 63K... It doesn't seem to matter if I am in the
            > 'Original' or 'Preview' mode.

When you use Save, or Save as in Fireworks, it's like saving a PSD. The
            information needed to keep the image editable is stored in the document,
            so the file size is larger. You need to Export the image to end up with
            the optimized file size.

> So after working on an image in Fireworks, by say adjusting levels, some
            > sharpening, and JPEG compression levels, how do you save the resulting file?

Choose File > Export. It would probably be a good idea to read through
            the information on exporting images in the Help files.

--
            Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.projectseven.com
            Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
            CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
            http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            • 3. Re: File size discrepancy
              treble101 Level 1
              Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, it is for Web Images.

Indeed, File -> Export is what I needed.

It is a bit confusing when you switch from ImageReady. In IR you use: Save Optimized As. The Export function in IR makes it possible to open the same image in Photoshop/Illustrator...

THanks again!
              • 4. Re: File size discrepancy
                Level 7
                treble101 wrote:
                > As an 'former' ImageReady user I am a bit confused on saving optimized images.
                >
                > When I optimize an image with say JPEG quality level 45 it says at the bottom
                > of the window that the resulting image will be 50.71K, but when I save it
                > (File->Save As) it is 63K... It doesn't seem to matter if I am in the
                > 'Original' or 'Preview' mode.
                >
                > Regardless though the filesize is smaller then when I save the same file with
                > the same Optimization levels (AFAIK) with Photoshop -> Save for Web & Devices
                > (89K).
                >
                > So after working on an image in Fireworks, by say adjusting levels, some
                > sharpening, and JPEG compression levels, how do you save the resulting file?
                > Is it enough to just hit Save/Save As? Is there a difference between Save/Save
                > As (except for that Save As prompts for a filename)?
                >
                > Thanks...
                >

If you SAVE AS then EXIF data is stored with the file. If you EXPORT the
                file, the exif data is discarded. The beauty of this solution is yo don'
                thave to remember to check or uncheck a setting to deal with the EXIF
                data, you just save or export to solve it.

--
                Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                Extending Knowledge, Daily
                http://www.communityMX.com/
                CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                ---
                .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                • 5. Re: File size discrepancy
                  Level 7
                  On Sat, 5 May 2007, Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                  wrote

>If you SAVE AS then EXIF data is stored with the file. If you EXPORT
                  >the file, the exif data is discarded.

I think that defining any proprietary data (metadata) within a jpeg as
                  EXIF data, a 'standard' for digital cameras could be misleading. Have
                  you been able to read metadata in 'SAVE AS' jpeg files with any of the
                  available EXIF readers?

--
                  Richard Mason
                  http://www.emdpi.com
                  • 6. Re: File size discrepancy
                    Level 7
                    Richard Mason wrote:
                    > On Sat, 5 May 2007, Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote
                    >
                    >> If you SAVE AS then EXIF data is stored with the file. If you EXPORT
                    >> the file, the exif data is discarded.
                    >
                    > I think that defining any proprietary data (metadata) within a jpeg as
                    > EXIF data, a 'standard' for digital cameras could be misleading. Have
                    > you been able to read metadata in 'SAVE AS' jpeg files with any of the
                    > available EXIF readers?
                    >

I do not use 3rd party EXIF readers. The EXIF data can be read and
                    additional meta data written through File > File Info and also via
                    Bridge, which has been enough for me. Photoshop can write to an external
                    XMP sidecar file if the data can't be stored within the image file, but
                    generally it gets written to the file.

The original camera EXIF data can't be changed via Bridge, PS or FW, but
                    additional meta data, IPTC and DICOM info for example, can be added and
                    edited this way.
                    --
                    Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                    Extending Knowledge, Daily
                    http://www.communityMX.com/
                    CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                    http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                    ---
                    .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                    news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                    news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                    • 7. Re: File size discrepancy
                      Level 7
                      "Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks**" <lightly@sc.rr.com>
                      wrote in message news:f1hek5$di2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >
                      > When you use Save, or Save as in Fireworks, it's like saving a PSD. The
                      > information needed to keep the image editable is stored in the document,
                      > so the file size is larger. You need to Export the image to end up with
                      > the optimized file size.

I wish Adobe would recognize the confusion this causes and create the FWD
                      file extension for FireWorks Documents.

Linda, it would save you from needing to explain this over and over. It is
                      a fault with the FireWorks design.

My two half cents,
                      Tony