17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2014 11:39 AM by A.T. Romano

Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?

Driss73

Adobe premiere element 8 won't open my projects or create new ones.

I can only use the File (to create a new project, open one and Exit), Windows and Help when premiere is Open.

I have uninstalled/installed premiere 8.0 and it still won't work. Can someone help? Thanks

• 1. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 12 with the 12.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac"

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

•Are you using an account with Administrator Privileges?

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 (Encore + "All" Premiere)

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

• 2. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
            Driss73 Level 1

Please find the answers to your queries:

-I have the latest version of Premiere element 8.0.1

-I have windows 7 with the latest updates

-Adobe Premiere element used to work fine, I haven't used it for a few months and now it simply accepts my command to open a project, will launch and nothing appears. For new projects nothing appears as well.

-I am not using an account with administrator privileges

-My computer updates itself continuously and I have the latest version of windows 7

-The model of the camera is not an issue as it use to work before. In the organised menu of premiere element they all work

-No messages appear, it accepts my command to open the file it shows the status of the opening and when it reaches 100% nothing appears. I can only use the File (open or create new project), Windows and Help command menus.

-When the pb occurred I was just trying to use Premiere Element. No other files or programs were opened

-The specs of the computer are excellent and this program used to run fine. It's Intel Core i7. There's plenty of free space on the PC

-I am editing a movie with many clips and adding music.

-I have the latest version of quicktime: 7.7.5

Many thanks for the Suppot

• 3. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 (Encore + "All" versions of Premiere) will sometimes fix odd problems

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 4. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Driss73

You wrote

That very well may be the answer. Make sure that you are running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. In addition, right click the program's desktop icon and apply Run As Administrator. Both Premiere Elements and QuickTime require Administrative Privileges.

Also for consideration...

Let us start by going through the usual Premiere Elements 8 drill...

a. Are you working from the 8.0.1 Update of the program? From what you wrote, the answer appears to be yes.

b. Is the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer features turned Off?

For Background Rendering, see Premiere Elements workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/General and make sure no check mark next to the Background Rendering option..

For AutoAnalyzer, see Elements Organizer workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options and make sure they are all turned Off.

c. Have you deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 8.0 Folder in which it exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 8.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 8.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

There is an Adobe document on troubleshooting damaged products, but I am not sure how useful it would be if you cannot open new project.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-element s.html

But, you may want to review its contents.

Have you looked at the issue with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
                  Driss73 Level 1

Please find my answers below:

I right clicked on the program desktop and applied Run As Administrator but it did not work. To be honest I do not know if I have a User Account with Administrative Privileges. How do I check that?

a. I have uninstalled and removed the preference files and the Adobe premiere elements templates. I have installed both items back again. I went through the adobe latest downloads page and downloaded the 8.0.1 version.

I then went to open my old projects and then it started showing the load progress until 100% and then nothing happens. I created a new project and nothing happened there as well.

When I reopened the new project I just created it told that premiere elements file is Pro not compatible with premiere element 8.0!

b. a message appeared telling me: "Background rendering has been disabled. To turn it back on go to Edit- Preferences - General". However I cannot use the Edit - Preference button nor many others. The only Menu features I can use are File (open or create), Windows and Help command menus.

c. I have deleted the preference files when I was uninstalling the software. I went through the C drive and could not find the Owner folder. I just have Public and users folders.

I have just checked with the firewall turned-off and it is still not working.

I have sometimes tried to open some of the projects saved as draft and the following message appears: "Sorry a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shutdown. We will attempt to save your current project." and then Adobe premiere closes.

Many thanks for your support

• 6. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
                    Driss73 Level 1

I have the following graphics driver:

-NVIDIA Driver 306.97 (also known as GEFORCE RE 304 Driver)

-NVIDIA 3D Vision Driver 265.94

I tried your link but it's been scanning my laptop for ages now and nothing happening

Many thanks

• 7. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
                      Driss73 Level 1

I have just checked my settings and it tells me I am an administrator. So I am a user with Administrative Privileges.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Driss73

Thanks for the reply. The point that I would like to rule in or out relates to your report

Both Premiere Elements and QuickTime require usage with Administrative permission. So, please double check what the privileges are for the User Account from which you are running the program. I encourage applying Run As Administrator but ONLY in addition to running the program from a User Account with labelled Administrator.

Please go to Control Panel and click  on "User Account and Family Safety". You will then get a chance to click on "User Accounts".

"User Accounts" will open to an area which will have thumbnails for all your users accounts.  Find the one that you are using and

let us know if it has your ID with the word "Administrator" under it.

Depending on how things progress or do not, we may want to consider an uninstall (Control Panel route), ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts to get rid of leftovers from incomplete installs or uninstalls), reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Under no circumstances work with automatic Background Rendering on. The 8.0.1 came along to make 8 workable and the key to that included disabling the previously default automatic Background Rendering. Automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer are major grabbers of computer resources and bring the program down.

Let us see if any of the above gets us to a resolution of the problems.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Driss73

I have been checking out the NVIDIA web site for your video card(s)/graphics card(s). The following looks like your current driver situation.

NVIDIA DRIVERS 306.97WHQL

The latest driver maybe be 307.74 (dated January 2013)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-307.74-whql-driver.html

Please check it out and see what you think.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
                            Driss73 Level 1

Hello ATR,

I have checked and followed your instructions.

I have the word administrative under my account so I do have an account with administrative privileges.

I have installed CCleaner. I have unistalled the programes again (alongside Template), run CCleaner and installed both programs with the firewall and realtime scanners off.

I have not changed the backgriund rendering to on. But in any case I can't as I have limited access to the menu bar.

The program won't open old files or create new ones (blank screen with limited menu bar functionality).

I will try with the NVIDIA software and the links you sent me.

Thanks

• 11. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dross73

It is about 1:15 am where I am so I had better call it a day.

I will visit your thread in the light of day to check for your progress.

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting. Keeping a positive thought for problem resolution soon.

ATR

• 12. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
                                Driss73 Level 1

Many Thanks ATR,

I wish you a good night sleep.

I have installed the latest driver version 337.88 as detected by the NVIDIA website tool and it states it is the latest version.

The installation was successful and I ran Premiere Elements again but unfortunately it is still not working.

Best regards

Driss

• 13. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
                                  Driss73 Level 1

I have installed the latest driver version 337.88 as detected by the NVIDIA website tool and it states it is the latest version.

The installation was successful and I ran Premiere Elements again but unfortunately it is still not working.

Sorry but it took sometime.

Best regards

Driss

• 14. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
                                    Driss73 Level 1

Hello ATR,

I have contacted Adobe to explain the situation and complain that there is no customer support.

They told me that Premiere Element 8.0 is only supported through the Adobe community and customer support is available for version 11 and 12.

I am still stuck with the same pb, are there any other steps I can take?

Many thanks

Driss

• 15. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Driss73

Thanks for the update.

I was not surprised to learn that Adobe was not supporting version 8, but I was surprised to learn that it still supported version 11. Typically the Adobe support has been for purchased/registered/current version.

Be that as it may...to work on your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 issue.

1. When you did the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, did you also delete the whole 8.0 Folder in which it existed? If not, please do so.

Please refer back to post 4 in this thread.

2. If you have not already, assure that you do not have any pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, or conformed video files.

Assuming default locations...

Preview Files. Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/8.0 and the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder.

Conformed Audio: Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/8.0 and the Media Cache Files Folder.

Conformed Video: Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache Database area there and hit the Clean put. Then

go to the path shown to the original conformed video files to make sure that they are gone.

3. Create a new User Account with Administrative Privileges, and install Premiere Elements 8.0 to run from there.

(Do not delete the old account. It just remains unused.) After the program is installed, then install the 8.0.1 Update.

4. Some have resolved this type of problem by (as last resort) reinstalling the computer operating system or reverting back to the factory settings. I am not sure if we are ready for that yet.

5. Before trying to open the program, have you gone to the Task Manager to make sure the program is not listed as an open process?

And, have you tried to open the program from the .exe files in Program Files (x86)/Adobe/Premiere Elements 8.0/ and

Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe (opens to Welcome Screen)

and

Adobe Premiere Elements.exe (bypasses Welcome Screen)

Please review the above and then let us know if any of the above had any impact on your issue.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Please remind me, is your program installed from disc or from online downloaded files from Adobe.

• 16. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
                                        Driss73 Level 1

Hello ATR,

Sorry for the late response but I have had some difficulties joining the Adobe community lately. It rejects me at the login page.

I followed your instructions with the help of a PC expert and we managed to sort out the situation.

It started working when we followed step 3 by creating a new account with Administrative privileges.

We did not uninstall/install Premiere Elements again as it was working. However when we logged out and back in again the same pb appeared.

The PC expert then deleted the preference files as you suggested, turned off the Firewall and Anti-virus and re-logged, this worked now.

I have followed all of your instructions in the mail you recently sent me, and the creation of a new account sorted out the pb, alongside the deletion of the preference files with the Firewall and Anti-virus turned off.

I would like to take this opportunity by thanking you for your help and patience.

Best regards

Driss

• 17. Re: Adobe element premiere 8.0 won't open my projects or create new ones?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Driss

Thank you for the very great news that your Premiere Elements issues are resolved and you can move forward in your projects. Great job by you and your PC expert associate. I applaud your success and stick-to-it-tiveness.

Special thanks for the follow up which will be interesting to all those who find themselves in a similar situation.

We are glad that we could be of assistance in this matter. We are just a thread/post away if any additional assistance is

needed in your Premiere Elements workflows.

ATR