2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2014 9:16 AM by Daniel Flavin

Help! Can't edit certain areas of a document.

khrdh

Hi! I am new to using Indesign. In making name tags for a class reunion and someone gave me files that I can edit and save. The problem is I can only seem to edit areas that have a solid blue line around them. Some areas have a dotted line around them which I am unable to edit.  I'm sure it's something easy, but this is the first time I've ever used Indesign so I'm kind of learning as I go :-)image.jpg

• 1. Re: Help! Can't edit certain areas of a document.
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Those items (with dotted frames) are on the Master Page. The Master Page is where you put elements that you want repeated on each page (to which the given Master Page is/has been applied). To edit them (affecting every applicable page), you have to switch to the Master. (See Pages panel; Window > Pages.) To edit the instance of a Master Page item which shows on your current document page, you must "override" its Master Page item status. To do that, hold down Ctrl/Cmd+Shift and click on the object.

• 2. Re: Help! Can't edit certain areas of a document.
            Daniel Flavin Level 4

You have a moderately complex InDesign file; InDesign is a complex piece of software and you lack some basic principles; I see more problems ahead.

It appears that all the names are highlighted in pink. This denotes that your system does not have the font used for these names.

Look at the Paragraph Styles panel  (Window > Styles > Paragraph Styles  or F11)

Are there any styles listed other than Basic Paragraph?