6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2014 8:28 PM by max3469

File Saving Issue

max3469

I have an iMac and a Macbook, both are running CS3 same version number and same program and preference settings. When I save a 200 resolution image on the macbook it saves it at 200, when I save a 200 resolution image on the iMac it saves it at 240, which is a problem when you need and image at the exact resolution. What causes this and how do I fix it? Thanks

• 1. Re: File Saving Issue
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Please describe exactly how you are saving the image, e.g., what menu items you're choosing, keystrokes you're hitting, etc., and the formats and settings you're choosing.

-Noel

• 2. Re: File Saving Issue
            max3469 Level 1

Well, I open CS3, choose new file; image size, let's say 12x16 inches with a 200 resolution. Type a random letter; file save as either png or jpg; file saves. Even though the image size box displays a resolution of 200, the file is saved at 240 on the imac. On the macbook going through the same procedure, the file is saved at 200 resolution. And it doesn't matter what the file size or resolution is, the imac is not saving it at the resolution that I specify.

• 3. Re: File Saving Issue
              Noel Carboni Level 8

What application are you using that's interpreting the saved ppi value wrongly?  Are you re-opening the same image in Photoshop, or are you using another application to gauge the ppi?  I ask because some applications use different metadata than others...  There's EXIF and another format (was the acronym JFIF?  I can't quite recall).

-Noel

• 4. Re: File Saving Issue
                max3469 Level 1

I'm using Bridge CS3. Screen shot 2014-07-05 at 2.30.35 PM.pngOn the left is a sample file, only two layers @ resolution 200 ppi. On the right is the same file after merging the layers and saving as a png (or jpg). Even though the pixel size appears to be the same, the dimensions and resolution have changed and can't be used when uploading to a site like RedBubble which needs the exact dimensions on the left.

• 5. Re: File Saving Issue
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

I just fired up Photoshop CS3, created a 3200 x 2400 pixel 200 ppi document, chose File - Save As, PNG, and closed it.  When I re-opened it in Photoshop it read the 200 ppi value back in from the file's metadata.

Bridge CS3, on the other hand, which I started, doesn't seem to know how to read the ppi value from the PNG file.  Maybe that was a limitation way back when CS3 was current, I don't know.

If you open your file in Photoshop, what ppi value does it carry?  Can you reproduce what I just described?

-Noel

• 6. Re: File Saving Issue
                    max3469 Level 1

Hey Noel, the image I posted above Is basically what you said to do. I created a file at 200 ppi and when I save the file as you can see the dimensions are displayed completely are larger. When I open the file, in the image size box it still says the resolution is 200 ppi. What's really odd is images I created a year ago at 200ppi are know registering at 240ppi and I'm not able to upload them anymore.