4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2014 1:35 PM by trshaner

Projector problems using Lightroom

Jim_Palik Level 1

I am a photography teacher in Germany. The school recently purchased a new high-end (HDMI) projector (40,000 Euros) The quality is incredible. The projector works perfectly when using PowerPoint and Windows Photo Viewer. When I open Lightroom, the projector periodically flashes on and off. The projector works perfectly for all the other teachers in a wide variety of applications. I need to find a solution to this problem as Lightroom represents my tool of choice for post processing. Below are my system details.

Computer and OS:

HP EliteBook 2760p

HP Docking station using a DisplayPort to HDMI cable to the projector

Windows 7

Lightroom 5.3

The IT staff at the school are very good and they do not know what is happening. I have tried several different cables and nothing appears to fix the problem.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Jim

• 1. Re: Projector problems using Lightroom
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

James Palik wrote:

I am a photography teacher in Germany. The school recently purchased a new high-end (HDMI) projector (40,000 Euros) The quality is incredible. The projector works perfectly when using PowerPoint and Windows Photo Viewer. When I open Lightroom, the projector periodically flashes on and off. The projector works perfectly for all the other teachers in a wide variety of applications.

To clarify, PowerPoint and Windows Photo Viewer work with YOUR laptop connected and only LR has an issue, correct? Does LR work at all and if so in what modules, how soon do you see the flashing, what color is the projector screen, is it displaying a message? It sounds like the HDMI handshake is getting dropped for some reason. My first suggestion is to refer to the user manual, online troubleshooting on the manufacturer's website, or contact the projector manufacturer's tech support. Also make sure you are using a "Certified" HDMI 1.3 cable form a name-brand manufacturer of no more than 3 meter length.

Other things to try:

Set the projector in Lightroom as the 2nd display (1 and 2 icons in lower left-hand corner). You may need to use Windows display setup Guided Help: Dual monitor setup is easy in Windows 7!

You might also try installing Lightroom on another laptop or desktop and see if the same issue occurs.

• 2. Re: Projector problems using Lightroom
            Jim_Palik Level 1

PowerPoint and Windows Photo Viewer work perfectly with my laptop connected. Lightroom is the only program that has an issue. I have to admit I have not tried Photoshop. The connection to the projector is a commercial installation. There are over 50 teachers that connect to this projector using a variety of laptops. This is a media university. I am the only teacher teaching Lightroom and using Lightroom for photography review using this projector and I am the only one having this problems.

The speculation among the IT staff is that Adobe is implementing some direct access to the GPU and there may be some issues between my computer and the GPU that don't show up in other software. This is all speculation. The one thing is clear, I am the only one having this problem and the problem is only happening with Lightroom. It is very frustrating.

Lightroom works perfectly. The only problem is what looks like an intermittent los of connection between the computer and the projector. When the connection is lost it does not show in the laptops screen only on the projected screen. At first I thought it was a broken cable between the computer and the projector of the DisplayPort and HDMI where I connect my laptop to the counsel. Multiple "New" cables were tried and the problem remains.

The problem is isolated to my laptop and Lightroom. The next test is to use a different laptop that has a direct HDMI connector running Lightroom. The question is why only Lightroom.

Jim

• 3. Re: Projector problems using Lightroom
              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Powerpoint isn't a color managed app, don't know about Windows Viewer. I'm wondering if what you're seeing is an update as the display LUT (in this case from the Projector) updates. If you have Photoshop, give it a try, it behaves like LR in terms of color management. If it does the same thing, I suspect that might be the issue.

• 4. Re: Projector problems using Lightroom
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Windows 7 Photo Viewer is color managed. What profile is associated with the projector? We know LR has issues with ICC v4 profiles.