9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 6:13 PM by A.T. Romano

PE11 slow

sparky7ot

Hello all, why is it that my PE11 sometimes opens quickly and loads files fast and other times it seems to take forever for the programme to open up, load files etc and playback is appalling.

Im not a computer wiz but it appears im using windows 8.1.

Processor AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon HD graphics 2.30 GHZ

8.00 GB RAM    7.47 GB usuable

64 bit operating system

Hopefully this info will help some one identify why PE11 is so temperamental for me.

• 1. Re: PE11 slow
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>AMD A10-4600M

Does that M mean Mobile, as in a laptop?

How many hard drives, and what speed? (5400rpm or 7200rpm)

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180
          •What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 12 with the 12.0.1 update).
          •What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac"
          •Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?
          •You MUST use an account with Administrator Privileges to run Premiere Elements
          •(Doing Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 [says Encore and also for "All" versions of Premiere] will sometimes fix "odd" errors)
          •Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)
          •What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.
          •If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?
          •What were you doing when the problem occurred?
          •What other software are you running?
          •Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?
          And some other questions...
          •What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?
          •Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

•What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)
          •What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?
          •Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?
          •For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information
          •-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself
          •ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool
          •nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 2. Re: PE11 slow
            sparky7ot Level 1

M - yes its a laptop im working from.

I found this info in the device manager.

ST1000LM024 HN-M SATA disk drive.

Is this what you meant?

• 3. Re: PE11 slow
              A.T. Romano Level 7

sparky7ot

Your video card/graphics card may or may not be factoring into your "slow" performing Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8.1 64 bit. I will be back to that later.

I have Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8.1 64 bit, and it works great (For disclosure...it does use an Intel Graphics HD card, not an AMD Radeon HD card.

1. How are the Scratch Disks set up...to what location and how much free hard drive space at that location?

2. Assuming default location...go to Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11.0 and check the contents for the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder and Media Cache Files Folder. Empty both. Afterward Timeline rendering for some projects may need redoing. The conformed audio will be generated automatically by the program when and if needed. It is worth the clean out. Also, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and hit the Clean button in the Media Cache Database to clear out the conformed video files. These files are generated automatically by the program when and if needed.

3. Do a run through with the ccleaner (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts).

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

4. With laptop, make sure your power settings are setting according to your workflows. Assure a working Internet connection.

Make sure you have the latest version of QuickTime installed. Be running from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and also have applied

Run As Administrator.

We will be watching for your follow up.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE11 slow
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I Googled, and that is 5400rpm hard drive SAMSUNG Spinpoint M8 ST1000LM024(HN-M101MBB) 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare …

If you only have that one, slow, drive, your video editing is going to be difficult

• 5. Re: PE11 slow
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

sparky7ot

My Premiere Elements 11 is on Windows 8.1 64 bit laptop which has hard drive (only one) which is described....

SATA disk    500GB (5400 rpm)/SATA 3.0 Gb/s, 9.5mm high

Video editing has not been or is it currently difficult. Based on that, I would not generalize and single out your hard drive in the matter

of your slow video editing performance.

After you respond to my post 3 suggestions and if applicable, then let us look at what is happening at the source media/Timeline content/project settings level

when you experience

PE11 sometimes opens quickly and loads files fast and other times it seems to take forever for the programme to open up, load files etc and playback is appalling.

And, depending on your replies to post 3, we can circle back to rule in or out video card/graphics card contributions, if any, to your "slow" video editing.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE11 slow
                    sparky7ot Level 1

Ive gone through your 4 reccomendations and carried out all steps. I will have a play with PE11 and see how it performs.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

I will be inform on my findings in time.

• 7. Re: PE11 slow
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

sparky7ot

Thanks for the follow up.

We will be watching for an update on your progress whenever you have the time and you have completed your observations to get a good idea of system/project performance. Your update will help others in a similar Premiere Elements situation.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 8. Re: PE11 slow
                        sparky7ot Level 1

I have been playing with the programme on two different movies now and it has been opening much quicker and played back smoothly.

However it has been shut down automatically by windows because it has stopped working. Its done this around 5 times now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• 9. Re: PE11 slow
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

sparky7ot

Thanks for the update.

Have you check for pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video files?

Has the free hard drive space decreased to any great extent?

Any new programs, 3rd party codecs or plug-ins?

Are the shutdowns associated with

a. length of project

b. certain effects applied to the Timeline content

c. titles or transitions

ATR