10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2014 8:31 PM by A.T. Romano

opening an existing project in PE12 elements editor.

columbus teacher

When I attempt to open an existing project in PE12 Elements Editor, a new project opens instead. If I attempt to close the new project, it freezes and must be force closed.

• 1. Re: opening an existing project in PE12 elements editor.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•You MUST use an account with Administrator Privileges to run Premiere Elements

•(Doing Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 [says Encore and also for "All" versions of Premiere] will sometimes fix "odd" errors)

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 12 with the 12.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac"

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

• 2. Re: opening an existing project in PE12 elements editor.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

columbus teacher

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements running on?

Is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" issue?

What happens if you just open a new project without involving any prior projects?

Please describe in detail how you are opening the saved closed project....from the Welcome Screen or other?

Pending further information, look at deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 12 Folder in which it exists.

Assuming Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit....

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: opening an existing project in PE12 elements editor.
              columbus teacher Level 1

As a novice using PE 12, I have discovered that patience solved my problem. Eventually elements editor did open the correct project. I still have an issue with closing the project. After I save my work, and click X to close the project, the project freezes and must be force closed. Do I still need to delete the Prefs file?

• 4. Re: opening an existing project in PE12 elements editor.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

columbus teacher

I would go ahead and delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 12 Folder in which it exists.

I have had several terrible bouts with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 related to File Menu/New/Project and closing the program  (X button) taking

minutes to respond to my request. And, if I tried to force the request, then it went from not responding to has to close which took some more time to happen.

A variety of maneuvers corrected the situation (or it corrected itself?)

a. on the laptop, directing the power settings to higher performance

b. assuring the Interest connection

c. applying Run As Administrator to program's desktop icon

d. other, including deletion of Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, deletion of 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file existed, deletion of BadDrivers.txt file.

e. making sure Scratch Disks were directed to location with adequate free hard drive space.

Right now, I would go with "d" and also update from 12 to 12.1 if you can get into a project to go to Help Menu/Update for this update.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: opening an existing project in PE12 elements editor.
                  columbus teacher Level 1

I updated to 12.1. I did not find Adobe Premiere Elements Pref file. I did find 12.0 folder, but the Prefs file was not there. My original problem has also resurfaced. I cannot open existing projects in Elements Editor.

• 6. Re: opening an existing project in PE12 elements editor.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

columbus teacher

Just a quick question for now.

When you went looking for the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file did you follow the exact path indicated. I ask because there are several 12.0 Folders and easy to get detoured. Please double check to make sure that is where you arrived

Prefs.JPG

Once we know that the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists are ruled out,

then we will move on to other troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: opening an existing project in PE12 elements editor.
                      columbus teacher Level 1

It may be that this is the first week I have had a PC or maybe 8.1 is different. I attempted to follow your track. I got as far as owner and cannot find AppData. When I searched for it, I got a long list of tracks with AppData in them. None led to Premiere Elements Prefs.  Thank you for continuing to assist me!

• 8. Re: opening an existing project in PE12 elements editor.
                        columbus teacher Level 1

I finally found AppData in a hidden file and deleted Premier elements Prefs and the 12.0 folder.  I am now able to open existing projects with some difficulty. The program still freezes when I close the project.

• 9. Re: opening an existing project in PE12 elements editor.
                          columbus teacher Level 1

My son is here to help me. We have run as administrator. System properties have been adjusted for best performance. We are now searching for baddrivers.text files. We just found that and deleted it. It is still slow to open and slow to close, but we are making progress.

• 10. Re: opening an existing project in PE12 elements editor.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

columbus teacher

Great news of progress even though more to go.

You probably did not have the Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you could see the complete path cited. But sounds like great team work between you and your son with the troubleshooting.

If you have not already, think about doing a ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of leftovers from incomplete installs and reinstalls. I mention that for informational and non promotional reasons. I have used that program in a computer maintenance program for some time and no horror stories related to using it. I use the free version.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

and more information on its links

CCleaner - Download

Please let us know if you need any suggestions for it use.

Thanks for the updates. Please do not hesitate to ask questions and ask for clarification.

ATR