6 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2007 1:05 PM by Chunick

Projector problem???

hwa-jun yu Level 1
      I've just finished a full adventure game.
      I fixed bugs and game links in Director Authoring Environment and it works perfect!
      Then I published my game:
      1. Update my CST files to protected CCT, and my main DIR to DCR
      2. Make a stub projector that's going to the main DCR file
      I was expecting the DCR will do all the linking job to my casts.
      For the first two screens, everything is working fine.
      But then when I tried to go to the next screen, suddenly it pops out saying "Director Player Error. Continue?" with yes/no buttons below the message.
      I don't know what is wrong, as everything was fine during testing in Authoring mode.

What could be the problem?
      somebody please help.
        • 1. Re: Projector problem???
          Level 7
          That error is usually due to an xtra that was not included in the
          projector. What is happening around the time that the crash occurs? Is
          there a call to a scripting xtra (like BuddyAPI)? If so, then you need
          to include the xtra either in an external xtras folder, or built into
          the stub. It is important to note that though the xtra may appear in
          the DCR's list under Modify, Movie, Xtras, that doesn't matter if it was
          not published to an exe projector. Your stub needs to have all the
          xtras built in if you intend to have them be internal to the project.
          • 2. Re: Projector problem???
            hwa-jun yu Level 1
            Nope.
            It was not the xtras.
            I copied all my xtras from \Program Files\Macromedia\Director MX 2004\Configuration\Xtras to my project folder. Still a message box saying "Script Error. Continue?" appeared.
            Does it mean the problem is with my script? If it is my script, then why it works fine when I'm testing my project in Director Authoring Environment?
            • 3. Re: Projector problem???
              Level 7
              Look at the code where the error occurs. Put in some alerts. I usually
              go through the offending code and put in an alert after every line of code.

on mouseUp me
              alert "1"
              somecommand()
              alert "2"
              doSomeThing()
              alert "3"
              end

Like that. Then publish the projector and see how many alerts show up
              before the error. Then you can figure out which line of code is the
              problem.

Also, you say that you converted all the cst files to cxt and your dir
              to dxr. Perhaps something in that process got messed up? Maybe you
              missed a cast or put something in the wrong location? Try using
              unprotected files as a test and see if it works any better

Good luck!
              • 4. Re: Projector problem???
                Charles Parcell Level 1
                And also, there are features of Lingo that only work within Authoring and not in Projector. Once you narrow down what chunk of code is causing the problem, then post it up here and we can help with that.
                • 5. Re: Projector problem???
                  hwa-jun yu Level 1
                  Yes. Thank you guys.
                  I'll check which syntaxes I used that won't work in projector.
                  I already found one, that is scriptText.
                  And there are some variables that were not properly set.
                  Now, the projector is working very well.
                  Thanks alot for the help! =)
                  • 6. Re: Projector problem???
                    Chunick Level 3
                    quote:

I copied all my xtras from \Program Files\Macromedia\Director MX 2004\Configuration\Xtras to my project folder. Still a message box saying "Script Error. Continue?" appeared.
                    Does it mean the problem is with my script? If it is my script, then why it works fine when I'm testing my project in Director Authoring Environment?

You need to have your Xtras in an Xtras folder in the same directory of your projector. As you state above in the quoted text, you placed the xtras just in the projector folder.