29 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2017 6:50 AM by Sue Garibaldi

recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch

da_fernz Level 1

anyone know a way to recover a deleted project in the Adobe Sketch app.  I made the grave mistake of accidentally deleting one. lost about 3 sketches.

• 1. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
          William Eisley Adobe Employee

Unfortunately, there is no way to delete projects once they have been deleted from Sketch.

• 2. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
            bernadetten14093630

I've made the same mistake. Do you know of a way to recover deleted projects. I'm using version 3.2.1 on the iPadPro. Thx

• 3. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
              Sue Garibaldi Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Bernadette,

Unfortunately, once you tap through both delete confirmation dialogs, there is little you can do to retrieve the lost project. There are two ways that it can be recovered, but it requires some special circumstances.

1. If you were offline when you deleted the project, then the deletion hasn't been synced back to the cloud yet. In this case, stay offline on your device, and sign into http://assets.adobe.com on your desktop. Look for your project in the "Mobile Creations" section, and make an edit to the project (eg. rename it to something else). Then, when your iPad goes back online, the new edit will cancel out the deletion and your project should sync back down to your device.

2. If the deletion has already made it back to the cloud and you can no longer find your project on assets.adobe.com, then if you have another device (phone or tablet) that has Draw installed, you can try taking that device offline, launch Draw, and make an edit to the project locally (eg. rename it to something else). Then, when that device goes back online, the new edit will cancel out the deletion and your project should get re-uploaded back up to the cloud. From there, you can download back anywhere you have Draw installed.

I know it doesn't help right now, but we are working on incorporating the ability to retrieve accidentally deleted projects.

Sue.

• 4. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
                enriquea96000964

You should add a trashcan in adobe assets...

• 5. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch

Hi Enrique,

Thanks for posting... We're working on that.

Sue.

• 6. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
                    krittayoto5541574

You're trying to encourage people to use your softwares and make it cloudable, but no back up on the server!!?? That's impossible!!!! I've lost all of my whole sketch project because of an unclear submenu. And I couldn't believe I was unable to bring them back. Adobe Sketch should have made it clear between project and sketch in the first place. And must learn more about human. Human sketches a picture one at a time. Setting a project should be an option for those who want to collect or categorize their sketches. Not providing a set of 5 sketches just to show how nice the UI design, but UX design leads to unrecover files like this!!!

• 7. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch

Krittayoto,

I'm really sorry about your deleted project and that it wasn't clear that the action you took would delete it. We are working on an archive feature for accidentally deleted drawings that will very likely be in the app by early fall.

Sue.

• 8. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
                        vectorpark Level 1

I would urge you to add this. It is extremely easy to absent-mindedly mistake the project-level deletion for deleting the top drawing instead. I know this, because I have done so, and lost a great deal of work. An undo feature for app like this isn't optional.

• 9. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
                          vectorpark Level 1

Here is a third recovery option, which worked for me.

Check the dates of your latest iCloud and local backups of your iPad through iTunes. If the date of one of your backups IS EARLIER THAN the time at which you deleted your project, do the following:

- Do a complete erase of of your iPad, and restore your device from that backup.

- Your apps will be restored but but DO NOT open up Adobe Sketch.

- Turn OFF wi-fi, so that Adobe Sketch can't sync.

- Open Adobe Sketch.

- Duplicate and rename your project.

- Turn on Wi-fi.

- When Sketch syncs, your duplicate will be preserved (and the deleted original will vanish again.)

This worked for me and I hope it saves someone else some grief, too.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch

VectorPark,

Thank you so much for posting this; I'm sure it will be helpful to a lot of people.

We are finalizing work on an Archive feature for both Draw and Sketch and it should be in both apps by early fall.

Thanks again for posting.

Sue.

• 11. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
                              matt-c-fisher

I agree. I'm new to Adobe Draw and didn't appreciate the distinction between Projects and Sketches. I was cleaning up some sketches and it seems I deleted my project instead. I just lost all my drawings. I'm disappointed there's no recovery option. Very frustrating.

• 12. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch

Hi Matt,

It's a bit confusing initially. A document is a single canvas. And a project is one or more documents. The alerts always state what's being deleted, but we're all so used to just scanning them that it's really easy to miss what's happening... until it's done.

The good news is that the Archive feature for Ps Sketch (and Adobe Draw) is active now.

If you've accidentally deleted a project and you're using the current version of Sketch (v3.5) and you'd worked over a wifi connection at some point (so your work had a chance to sync to Creative Cloud) then it should be recoverable in an Archive folder on assets.adobe.com

Please log in with your Adobe ID to https://assets.adobe.com/assets/mobile?filter=archive and see if your work is there.

Hope that it works in your case. Let me know.

Sue.

• 13. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
                                  peterkitcatt

There Is a way!!

Go onto your Assets: assest.adobe.com/files

On the left side, click Archived.

Done.

• 14. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
                                    jvilja8095

I "moved" my work to another project, the app quit and everything was lost. I'm devastated. It was the best drawing I have ever done. If there is any way to retrieve items that were NOT deleted manually, please let me know.

• 15. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch

HI J.

I'm really sorry about the crash. And your lost work. I know how distressing it is.  I have a few questions:

What device and operating system are you using?

What version of Sketch do you have?

When you log in with your Adobe ID to Adobe Creative Cloud do you see your work there?

Please let me know.

Sue.

• 16. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
                                        jvilja8095 Level 1

Sue,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me. 

Device & operating system: iPad Pro | Mac OS 10.2 

Version of Sketch: Adobe Sketch version 4.0.2

Adobe Creative Cloud did not save my work. 

I sent a warning out to all students in my grad program yesterday about this issue. I would recommend updates should have history/timeline and autosave. Or else it just cannot compete with apps. 

I thought my project was saved because I opened and closed the application several times for several days. Again, the crash happened when I selected the project and moved it to another project. Within this transition, it crashed and was gone. 

If there is anything that could be done to get my work back I would be so grateful. 

Thanks again for taking the time to reach out to me.

Best,

Jeanée Vilja 

• 17. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch

Jeanée.

I'm really sorry about your deleted work. And also concerned.

This was a bug in v4.0 of Draw (that was fixed) that was occurring when people were moving their work. I have heard from a couple of people that it's happened in Sketch but the team has been unable to reproduce it in-house. I'm glad you've mentioned it to your students (if I can answer any questions for them about how/when it happened in Draw, I'm happy to do that).

It is, as you said, hugely important, because as far as we know it is an immediate and irretrievable deletion of the work. I have not been able to get an answer from anyone about whether the work is recoverable and in the Archive folder on assets.adobe.com. Can you check to see if it's, by some chance, there? Log in with your Adobe ID to Adobe Creative Cloud and see if it's there. Or perhaps still in Adobe Creative Cloud.

In Draw, the crash/deletion was occuring with single drawing projects: How many drawings did you have in the project that you were trying to move? If there were multiple drawings in the project were you trying to move all of them (leaving basically an empty project)?

Again, I'm very sorry about the drawing you lost; I know how awful it is to see work disappear.

Sue.

• 18. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
                                            jvilja8095 Level 1

Sue,

Adobe Assets was the first place I checked after the crash. Unfortunately my work was not there.

In my case, it was the one (and only) drawing in the project that I attempted to move to another project. It does seem it is the same problem that appeared with Adobe Draw.

It means a lot to me that you're investigating this issue. Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer.

• 19. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch

Thanks Jeanée.

The team has made tracking this down a priority so I might take you up on that offer for more information.

Thanks for being so understanding about all of it. I know it's really hard to lose work.

Sue.

• 20. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
                                                jvilja8095 Level 1

Sue,

Thank you. Really appreciate it.

On another note, do you know who I could reach out to request additional features like reflect, mirror, and vector art? If Adobe Sketch had these features more industrial designs would use the app for all their needs. I've been going back and forth between Concepts, Adobe Sketch and Sketchbook Pro. I tend to like Adobe sketch interface the best, but it would be awesome if I had the additional tools to make my drawings more accurate.

Sent from my iPhone

• 21. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch

Jeanée.

Consider it requested. It all comes to me anyway, but if it's easier you can also use the in-app feedback to send requests, comments, problems, suggestions. In the app tap Settings (in the lower nav) then Send Feedback.

When you have a minute give me a bit more detail about what you mean by "reflect" so I can accurately pass the request along to the team.

Sue.

• 22. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
                                                    jvilja8095 Level 1

Oh good to know! Thank you, if I think of anything after todayI will submit through the app. I feel lucky I got in touch with you. I didn't realize forums were viewed by anyone but users.

Reflecting an object allows you select a drawing and flip it vertically or horizontally. This allows you to achieve symmetry. Even better, it would be great to have a symmetry mirroring feature, allow you to draw on one side of the document that repeats on the other. I'm designing sleep apnea masks and it takes a very skilled artist to draw both sides symmetrically without these tools. Example image provided below:

Oh and one more important feature request - being able to group your layers and move them without merging everything into one layer. I find that I have to duplicate my projects - one project with all individual layers in case I want to edit them and another project with combined merged layers (so I move my drawings around to create a better composition). It's time consuming to move each and every layer and match everything up if you want to make your drawing smaller/bigger/transform.

Sent from my iPhone

• 23. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch

Jeanée.

Oh, I didn't realize that's what you meant by reflecting. Just wanted to make sure you knew that you could do that on an individual layer. First duplicate the layer. Then choose Transform. There are options to flip horizontally or vertically. It's possibly a bit more limiting than what you're suggesting but wanted to point it out just in case.

I've seen the symmetry tools in other drawing apps and it's a great feature, so I knew what you meant by mirroring.

We do get this "grouping layers" request from people who use the app on more of professional level. I think it's a feature that the team is considering but I'll bring your comments to their attention anyway.

Write any time. (Oh, by the way, your image didn't show up here.)

Sue.

• 24. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
                                                        haleyl77927653 Level 1

Hi Sue,

I asked a question about this on a different thread, and I think I just found the answer. Devastated that my work cant be recovered. Ive been able to replicate it multiple times (on duplicated projects) and it crashes every time. If this is a problem, the move button should be removed until the problem is found or should place them in archives instead of requesting a delete.

Has this problem been solved since this original thread or not? Thanks

Haley

• 25. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch

Hi Haley,

I'm really so sorry about your lost work. The last time I checked in with the team about this, a week or so ago, they were still working on it; I will ask again later this morning.

Since you were able to replicate the crash multiple times, can you tell me... Did you have only one drawing in the project when you were trying to move it? Also, what device are you on?

Again, I'm really sorry. I'll post again as soon as I hear back from the product team.

Sue.

• 26. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
                                                            haleyl77927653 Level 1

Hi Sue,

I'm using an iPad Pro and through Sketch.

Here's what happened:

I had one drawing in a single project, that I was trying to merge with another related project. I selected the document, selected move to other project, and got this message: "would you like to move this document and delete the empty project?" I selected delete, and the app crashed. After reopening the app, the project and the drawing was nowhere to be found. This glitch doesn't happen when  there is another drawing in the project.

it seems that the app deletes the project with the drawing still in it. after going through this problem, I would urge you to change the movement to "archive" or "trashcan" setting instead of permanent deletion until the problem is reSolved.

Haley

• 27. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch

Haley,

The scenario you describe is exactly what I've heard from others (and exactly what was happening in Draw) but we (and that includes me) have been unable to reproduce it (I was able to with Draw).

From what little I've heard (I'm expecting a bit more information later today or tomorrow), since this problem can't be duplicated in house, that the team is trying to solve the issue of the deletion. I"ll know more soon but I wanted to at least let you know that.

I do have a question for you and I'm going to email you (at the addy you use in the forums). 

Sue.

• 28. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch
                                                                PokeSh6698

What if Adobe deleted the project? As in I saved it multiple times and have been working on it nonstop for the past few days. Then it crashed, like it always does, so when I open it back up I expect to just have to redo whatever I last did but instead I open it to find the project completely missing. It's gone, and I never pressed delete at all.

• 29. Re: recovering deleted projects in Adobe Sketch

PokeSh.

I'm sorry about your deleted art; there are autosave features in both the iOS and Android versions of Sketch that should prevent a drawing deletion in the event of a crash so I'm not certain what happened.

What version of Sketch are you using?

And what device and what version of its operating system are you using?

Please let me know so I can ask the product team what might have happened.

Sue.