10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 11:02 AM by mikeglaze

Text on path

MrBob78 Level 1
      Lordy, I can create text and a path. My problem is selecting both before "attach to path" which is always grayed out. It seems that I am not selecting both somehow, even "select all" doesn't work for me. Where am I going wrong??
        • 1. Re: Text on path
          Level 7
          Hold down the Shift key while making your selection.

Peter
          | "attach to path" which is always grayed out. It seems that I am not
          selecting
          | both somehow, even "select all" doesn't work for me. Where am I going
          wrong??
          |
          |

• 2. Re: Text on path
            MrBob78 Level 1
            I have text and a curve(?), when I click on each one with the shift key pressed both items apparently are not selected since the attach to path is still grayed out. Everything in "help" appears not to help. What's my problem?
            Thank you.
            • 3. Re: Text on path
              Level 7
              Errrm, not much of a clue. It works for me and always has done. Can you
              select the objects, text and the path you want to attach it to in the Layers
              panel on the Right hand side?

Peter
              pressed
              | both items apparently are not selected since the attach to path is still
              grayed
              | out. Everything in "help" appears not to help. What's my problem?
              | Thank you.
              |

• 4. Re: Text on path
                MrBob78 Level 1
                Thanks Peter, seems as though what you (and other tutorials) say about the subject should work just fine. Info appears simple yet not working for me. Must have taken dense pill this AM. I'll keep trying.
                • 5. Re: Text on path
                  Level 7
                  On 07 May 2007 in macromedia.fireworks, MrBob78 wrote:

> Thanks Peter, seems as though what you (and other tutorials) say
                  > about the subject should work just fine. Info appears simple yet not
                  > working for me. Must have taken dense pill this AM. I'll keep
                  > trying.

Post a full Fireworks .png of the attempt you've made and post a link to
                  it here. Somebody can get a look at it and see what's going on.

--
                  Joe Makowiec
                  http://makowiec.net/
                  Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
                  • 6. Re: Text on path
                    Level 7
                    Bob,

Try selecting the objects in the Layers panel.

alex

MrBob78 wrote:
                    > Thanks Peter, seems as though what you (and other tutorials) say about the
                    > subject should work just fine. Info appears simple yet not working for me. Must
                    > have taken dense pill this AM. I'll keep trying.
                    >
                    • 7. Re: Text on path
                      Level 7
                      MrBob78 wrote:
                      > Thanks Peter, seems as though what you (and other tutorials) say about the
                      > subject should work just fine. Info appears simple yet not working for me. Must
                      > have taken dense pill this AM. I'll keep trying.
                      >

MrBob78,

Did you create the path with the pen tool or, other vector tool? If you
                      used the Pencil tool it really isn't a path and that will cause your
                      problem also.

SKB
                      • 8. Re: Text on path
                        Level 7
                        "SKB" <skb@shouldbefun.com> wrote in message
                        news:f1nirq$img$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Did you create the path with the pen tool or, other vector tool? If you
                        > used the Pencil tool it really isn't a path and that will cause your
                        > problem also.

Really good point, but he should be able to select both objects,
                        nonetheless. 8^)

• 9. Re: Text on path
                          Level 7
                          Anthony Bollinger wrote:
                          > "SKB" <skb@shouldbefun.com> wrote in message
                          > news:f1nirq$img$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >> Did you create the path with the pen tool or, other vector tool? If you
                          >> used the Pencil tool it really isn't a path and that will cause your
                          >> problem also.
                          >
                          > Really good point, but he should be able to select both objects,
                          > nonetheless. 8^)
                          >
                          >

Should have clarified. Even if you have both objects selected properly,
                          the 'Attach to Path' option will stay grayed out because there is not
                          a true path to attach to.

SKB
                          • 10. Re: Text on path
                            mikeglaze

Very old post but I will add to it anyway as I was having the same issue. My problem was that I had already attached my text to a path earlier and forgot about it. Since the path was fairly normal and I was not working with a lot of text I didn't notice for a while. So attaching text can only happen once per text box as far as I can tell. If you made the same mistake as me, that could explain the greyed out attach to path.