23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2006 10:42 PM by Newsgroup_User

why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want

juliacox
      Hey guys can anyone tell me how to get audio to play in dreamweaver8 design page or when uploaded to a remote server.
      No matter what I do no matter what audio file format it is it will not play?
      What is going wrong. What am I doing wrong .
      my email
        • 1. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
          Level 7
          Pretty hard to tell without knowing what you've tried. If you open the DW
          Help file and search under "Sound", there looks to be a lot of good info -
          maybe something there will set you on the right track.

--
          Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
          Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
          Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
          --

"juliacox" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e8bq0b$5qj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hey guys can anyone tell me how to get audio to play in dreamweaver8
          > design
          > page or when uploaded to a remote server.
          > No matter what I do no matter what audio file format it is it will not
          > play?
          > What is going wrong. What am I doing wrong .
          > juliaacox@yahoo.ie
          >

• 2. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
            Level 7
            > What is going wrong. What am I doing wrong .

Impossible to say without you showing us the page in question, but, in
            general:

- sound set to auto-play on a web page is annoying most of the time.
            - if you must have it, typically the best method is to use flash so that
            you
            can also embed playback controls

-Darrel

• 3. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
              juliacox Level 1
              I am simply following all the instruction to the letter in the help section and getting error messages maybe some one could talk me through this if they have the time to spare?

thank you
              • 4. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                Level 7
                Describe what it is you are doing, please.

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                ==================

"juliacox" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:e8ddj6$5up$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >I am simply following all the instruction to the letter in the help section
                >and getting error messages maybe some one could talk me through this if
                >they have the time to spare?
                >
                >
                > thank you

• 5. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                  juliacox Level 1
                  what do ypu mean ?
                  • 6. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                    Level 7

> I am simply following all the instruction to the letter in the help section
                    > and getting error messages maybe some one could talk me through this if they
                    > have the time to spare?

1) url address of an uploaded page, with an audio file you've placed in the
                    page.

2) error messages? In dw? or in the browser? And- What exactly are the
                    error messages?

• 7. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                      juliacox Level 1
                      1. Made a folder and called it webwork. 2 Made a folder and called it imagies 3 made a folder and called it media. I have put the media folder in the imagies folder the imagies folder in the web folder so Im left with one main folder.
                      4 I have defined dreamweaver site as follows. local rootfolder (webwork) c/documentsandsettings/myusername/webwork
                      default imagies folder c/documentsandsettings/myusername/webwork/imagies

5 on starting a web page I call it my webwork1.html and save it.
                      6 I import a converted media file from flash encoder put it in the media folder along with an none converted media file .
                      6 I goto insert media shockwave ( look in webwork imagies media select the file (my tune)
                      7 When I try to plat this in design view i get the error message (unable to find media that handles this media type dreamweaver looks in both the configuration/plugins folder and the plugin folders of each of your web browsers)
                      8 When I view it on my browser the media icon(shockwave) disapears and the puzzel icon appears (plugin) when i click the plugin no plugins are found
                      9 When i do this process through flash button paper or text and load it up to my web browser it downloads the tune and plays away via my plugin winamp5?
                      I would like it to play specifically by not downloading it, when i try to use just the shockwave option its url error please try changing the file name or path I have tried all media files wma mp3 mp4 midi quick time etc.
                      Why is it not as easy as insert shockwave browse file path location insert c./documentsand settings/myusername/mymusic. url error. c./documentsandsettings/myusername/mywebwork/imagies/media/mytune ? why do i get this error?

thank you
                      • 8. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                        Level 7

> 6 I goto insert media shockwave ( look in webwork imagies media select the
                        > file (my tune)

What file type are you inserting?
                        What is it's file extension?

> 7 When I try to plat this in design view i get the error message (unable to
                        > find media that handles this media type dreamweaver looks in both the
                        > configuration/plugins folder and the plugin folders of each of your web
                        > browsers)

again- What file type is it?

url address to an uploaded page pls.

• 9. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                          juliacox Level 1
                          when i use shockwave mp3 converted to swf it turns up as blank in (view in browser)
                          When i use flashvideo its says url error file cannot contain special chatacters or spaces try changing the file name or path
                          when i use flash button it downloads to be played.
                          I have ony tried this in view in browser option?

What do you mean as url to an uploaded page?
                          Thank you for being so patient!
                          • 10. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                            Level 7

> What do you mean as url to an uploaded page?

do you have web hosting space someplace?
                            upload the page and files, and give a link to it.

• 11. why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                              juliacox Level 1

> What do you mean as url to an uploaded page?

do you have web hosting space someplace?
                              upload the page and files, and give a link to it.

Why?. Do I need a web host,? to view the work and lay out that I have done? Can you not view it in (view in browser) from dreamweaver8 ccs starter pages or any other templates etc. in dreamweaver? ( view in browser ) is giving to me in the top of the page in dw8 and the option of viewing in more then one browser? Does this not work?

no sorry I do not have a hosting site as yet as I want to resolve this issue to truelly understand the simple problem with dreamweaver. If Icannot resovle this I will not be able to host my site as a lot of it will consist of audio embbeding.

Thank you.
                              • 12. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                                Level 7
                                Why is there so much focus on "Shockwave"? Was Macromedia Director used to
                                originate these files prior to the "conversion" you mention?

> when i use shockwave mp3 converted to swf....

What does this mean exactly. How was Shockwave used to convert an mp3 into a
                                Flash file and why?

• 13. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                                  Level 7
                                  On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 15:56:25 +0000 (UTC), "juliacox"
                                  <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>no sorry I do not have a hosting site as yet as I want to resolve this issue to
                                  >truelly understand the simple problem with dreamweaver. If Icannot resovle this
                                  >I will not be able to host my site as a lot of it will consist of audio
                                  >embbeding.

Well, it certainly can be done. However, it's impossible to guess what
                                  you might be doing wrong without seeing the result of your efforts.

Gary
                                  • 14. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                                    I just completed 2 of 26 pages of different audio files I am putting on one of my client's website. The audio files were in .wav format and very large. I imported them into Flash and created a .swf file. The one caveat that you must adhere to is that all files including your .html page must all reside in the same folder for it to work.
                                    • 15. why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                                      juliacox Level 1
                                      !SGEROUX ! I think you could be onto something here as its file name and path location errors . could you tell me how you done this from setting up local folders(site management )manage sites to the excecution of the procedure). please thank you. THANK YOU

ALAN SMITHIE JR I converted to swf on peoples advice, as you have controll over the audio settings and playback options? I do not know why as swf is for flash video correct? I have tried using mp3 wma wav as oringanal files (then converted using macromedia encoder)but the same error keeps popping up.

THANK YOU ALL WITH THE HELP HOPEFULL SOMEONE CAN GET TO THE END OF THIS FOR ME. AHHHH
                                      AS I THINK IT IS A REALLY COOL PROGRAM BUT FOR THIS .
                                      GARY look above to see all the steps I have taking to put me in this dead end !
                                      • 16. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                                        Level 7
                                        You might want to consider using something like this:

http://www.buddhapada.com/tests/julia.html

to deliver your audio content.

No MP3 conversion required at all. Just embed the Flash Player and edit a
                                        Playlist of MP3 selections.

• 17. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                                          joeq Level 1
                                          hey alan...

cool example! is there a way to control the depth of the box? i tried it and i only have four songs showing (the rest are revealed by scrolling).

also, is there a way to give the user their choice of playlists?

thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                          You might want to consider using something like this:

http://www.buddhapada.com/tests/julia.html

to deliver your audio content.

No MP3 conversion required at all. Just embed the Flash Player and edit a
                                          Playlist of MP3 selections.

• 18. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                                            Level 7
                                            > only have four songs showing (the rest are revealed by scrolling).

Adjust the height dimension of the Flash file.

> also, is there a way to give the user their choice of playlists?

Hmmm, not sure, but I think the only way to do that would be to make new
                                            pages for each playlist.
                                            The mp3player.swf, config.xml & playlist.xml have to be in the same folder
                                            in order to function properly.
                                            I guess you could create different folders with different playlist.xml
                                            files.

• 19. why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                                              juliacox Level 1
                                              Hi ALAN really cool what you have done I have downloaded the flashplayer a long time ago and taught thats is all I needed to do. Now you talk about embeddeding the player interesting no one has ever mentioned this to me before. Maybe just maybe this could be the answer. Could you tell me how to embedd the flash player where it should go what folder and how to extract the player or the dll file or whatever needs to be done. Is it hard?

CAN ANY ONE SHED LIGHT ON THIS FOR ME http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm?forumid=12&catid=189
                                              • 20. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                                                juliacox Level 1
                                                Has any one any knowledge on this ? On what I asked Alan above?

please feel free to let me know.

THANK YOU .
                                                • 21. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                                                  Level 7

> Hi ALAN really cool what you have done I have downloaded the flashplayer a
                                                  > long
                                                  > time ago and taught thats is all I needed to do.

Well, obviously there would be more to it than that; downloading the files
                                                  isn't going to magically put a functioning player on your site, correct?

You down loaded all the files from
                                                  http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Flash_MP3_Player - is that correct?
                                                  If so...open the Readme.html file and study the instructions. It is quite
                                                  simple, if you read the documentation, but it will require some care and
                                                  effort on your part.

• 22. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                                                    joeq Level 1
                                                    hi alan,

if you get a chance, please check out my post on the flash site design forum (entitled 'looking for some design suggestions')

thanks!
                                                    • 23. Re: why cant i get studio 8 to do what i want
                                                      Level 7
                                                      Joe,

You might want to look into http://winlike.com/

You could have a little 'music window' appear on load (popup blockers will
                                                      not kill it) of your site with a 'stop and close' message like you have in
                                                      your example.
                                                      These "chromeless-like" windows can be manipulated in a wide assortment of
                                                      ways, including minimizing to a thin title bar (while the music still play),
                                                      dragging around the page, etc. Interesting stuff, I think.

as jr