3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2007 2:03 PM by Greg Dove

Can LoadMovie load movies into a specified footprint?

davidupenn
      Hello All - I have a nice scrolling movie, with images floating from right to left across a TV screen image. It's a 205 x 205 square and the timeline has a layer for each image.

Each image starts outside the right-hand side of the TV screen and ends beyond the LEFT-hand side of the screen. Motion tweening gives the image a smooth ride across the screen. It looks great when I preview it.

When I load it into the master movie clip however (there's a button with a loadMovie action), the ENTIRE area of the loaded movie is displayed, including the "out of camera" shots of images awaiting their tweening journey across the TV screen. It looks abominable (when compared to the stand-alone rendition).

I'd like to be able to load the movie into a "movie container" (if you will) of a specified size, so that the "extra camera" action is still hidden from view. Any thoughts on how to do this?

Thanks for your help... David Bailey
        • 1. Can LoadMovie load movies into a specified footprint?
          Greg Dove Level 4
          So the TV screen clip that you're loading was created in a fla where you had the stage size set to 205x205?

If so, probably the easiest way to do it would be to create a mask layer in that original fla, and put a 205x205 shape on a mask layer to mask the layers (maybe all layers?) with the tweening that goes "off stage".

Otherwise you will need to use code to mask this clip that you load in to your "master movie" movie clip by creating a 205x205 mask clip and using it as a setMask argument on your loaded clip. I guess it could be done by some other ways as well using depths and overlaid movieclips, but all round its probably easier to do it in the source fla.
          • 2. Re: Can LoadMovie load movies into a specified footprint?
            davidupenn Level 1
            Thank you so much for that advice!!!

Once I'd figured out the masking mechanism, it worked just fine... I seemed to need one masking layer for each actual layer of visual activity, but that was okay. It looks like it's one layer per mask layer (or is there something ELSE I'm overlooking?)

Thanks again.
            • 3. Re: Can LoadMovie load movies into a specified footprint?
              Greg Dove Level 4
              When you create a mask layer, it only masks the one below it by default.

To mask other layers below the same mask, click and drag the layer you want to add under the mask layer and release it there - you should see a visual cue to what's happening as you drag the layer.