9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2014 10:25 PM by DrStrik9

How do I reset my opacity settings?

Ajwc95 Level 1

I had it at a certain percentage but I changed it by mistake.

• 1. Re: How do I reset my opacity settings?
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

which opacity setting and which app? In the full version of photoshop it is in the tool bar in the top for various tools, in the layer styles and the layers themselves. Where ever you changed it, you can type in the old value or ctrl-drag(windows) cmd-drag(mac) the cursor on the name opacity.

Other than that we will need more information.

• 2. Re: How do I reset my opacity settings?
            Ajwc95 Level 1

Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 for the Macbook Pro and it's the Brush tool. Here is a screenshot from Google.

ShowBlogFile.aspx?f=649&b=24d64c75-86b1-4e64-861d-e1a83fd0c141

• 3. Re: How do I reset my opacity settings?
              gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Opacity is 100% as a default. You can also Ctrl Click on the selected brush in the Options bar and choose "Reset tool" which sets it back to the default options.

But suppose you had a favorite brush with custom settings. 62% opacity as an an example. You want it back to that setting and you may have forgotten it was 62.  Anytime you dial in custom settings, save it as a preset. The New Preset symbol is that icon below the gear. It will be in the list and clicking on it should give you back your custom settings.

Screen Shot 2014-07-06 at 12.20.20 PM.png

• 4. Re: How do I reset my opacity settings?

If you click on the brush icon at left side of top tool bar, you can reset the brushes if all else fails. On newer versions the icon in the brush presets looks like a gear on the version you posted in the attachment it is a triangle in a circle. Click on that icon to bring up the menu.

brush preset options.png

When the brush tool is active, you can drag on the opacity name in the top tool bar, you can use the up down arrows, you can type in the value or you can type in the shortcut value. A short cut value is 1 for 10% 5 for 50% up to 9 for 90% and you have to type in 100 for 100%. You can also use the shift and alt or opt keys to speed up or slow down the values when dragging on the opacity name.

As Gener7 mentions majority of the brushes default to 100% and it is wise to create a new preset for any brushes you use repeatedly. You can create a tool preset which is what we are showing in our attachments, you can create a brush preset, or create a new brush. Each of these have their uses. I probably would use tool presets for any changes done in the top tool bar and new brush preset for any changes done in the brush preset panel. And finally new brushes that is totally up to use as that would be more of an artistic choice. In that if none of the brushes are accomplishing what you need, then it maybe time to create one.

Well I guess I went above and beyond again, so I will leave it there for now.

• 5. Re: How do I reset my opacity settings?

I don't mind, looks like you caught what I missed and it's whatever helps the OP best.

Gene

• 6. Re: How do I reset my opacity settings?
                    Ajwc95 Level 1

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the help, I'm new to all of this stuff and this has been a lot of help!!! Have a kick-*** life everyone!

• 7. Re: How do I reset my opacity settings?

Sure, don't forget to mark your question as "answered" select the best answer.

• 8. Re: How do I reset my opacity settings?

gener7 wrote:

I don't mind, looks like you caught what I missed and it's whatever helps the OP best.

Gene

Thats why we are all here, to help when we can.

• 9. Re: How do I reset my opacity settings?
                          DrStrik9 Level 4

On Mac, while in brush mode, hit the zero key. This restores the brush opacity to 100%. It's also cool that the other digits (1-9) also control the opacity of the brush, in 10% increments.