5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2014 9:34 PM by A.T. Romano

Selecting computer with "untested" GPU card

DressageVid Level 1

Am still researching a new laptop, and have discovered the help page that has a list of devices which have been tested for Premiere Elements. Many of the graphics cards I see are not specifically listed there (for instance, a GeForce board with slightly different model number).  Question is, if the board is a mainstream graphics board, is it likely to be OK?  Page is here:  Supported devices | Adobe Premiere Elements

• 1. Re: Selecting computer with "untested" GPU card
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since Premiere Elements does not use the GPU for hardware assistance (only Premiere Pro does that) just about ANY card will work

If you want to post the exact brand/model someone may be able to comment based on using that specific card

The biggest problem with "power saving" laptops is when there is a low power "chip" on the motherboard and also a separate "high performance" GPU and then there are problems caused by the supposedly automatic switching between the two not working well

• 2. Re: Selecting computer with "untested" GPU card
            A.T. Romano Level 7

DressageVid

Not much of an answer, but "likely to be OK", but no guarantees on it or the subsequent updates to the driver with time.

"Most" NVIDIA and ATI are typically OK, no CUDA as in the case of Premiere Pro.

Do you currently have a purchased Premiere Elements 12?

If so, you could contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat to try to get some firmer input on your question.

Contact Customer Care

ATR

• 3. Re: Selecting computer with "untested" GPU card
              DressageVid Level 1

John, thank you for bringing my attention to the possible conflict between motherboard and GPU.  Seems like an important thing to be aware of! 

• 4. Re: Selecting computer with "untested" GPU card
                DressageVid Level 1

Don't have PE12 yet.  I have a computer in mind to check out on Thursday night, if I get it I'll put PE 10 on it and see how that goes, save some $$ for 12.  My laptop has crashed 4 times in the last week, and I have a video job from 7/19-23, At the very least, I need something to copy files onto each night.  Can bring them home for processing desktop if need be.

• 5. Re: Selecting computer with "untested" GPU card
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

DressageVid

Thanks for the follow up. Best look at the tryout of 12 first before purchase. Premiere Elements 10 works fine on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. Major workspace changes for Premiere Elements versions later than version 10. Principles tend to stay the same. But those features do have a tendency to move around, get changed, or get discontinued.

Please let us know how we can be of assistance to expedite navigating the learning curve on Premiere Elements.

Best wishes

ATR