12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2014 12:59 AM by Agapyla

Which Hebrew fonts are supported in ePub?

Agapyla

During several weeks I have been trying to find out an intelligible list of Hebrew fonts available for use in epub 2/3.

Still, no one "special" font from Israel fontmaker vendors has not been embedded successfully. Only simple system fonts like Arial, Adobe Hebrew and Times fonts are looking good. But that's pretty ugly font types, and it's very very narrow list. Come on, how can I design Hebrew books in more or less respectable way?

1. Which system fonts can be used for epub design?

2. What's the problem of embedding third-party fonts (good ones, not free) into epub? (css describes them well, but it has never been visualised in epub as required being replaced by default fonts)

Thank,

• 1. Re: Which Hebrew fonts are supported in ePub?
          Douglas.Waterfall Adobe Employee

I am sorry, but there is not a simple answer to this for you.

InDesign will very happily embed any font which is marked with the correct rights and we'll also emit CSS to indicate right to left composition.

We don't markup up individual character direction properly (the character direction attribute) yet and our proper support for RTL frames in fixed layout is still pending.

Every device/reading system is unique and I expect the quality of right-to-left text composition also varies a lot too.

You will simply need to test/experiment on every reading system that you wish to distribute with and that's really the short answer.

I suggest you start with iBooks as your reference - that's what we do.

If it looks good and the font you wanted is being displayed then you can feel good that the InDesign has generated the correct markup and css.

Then you can try it another device and if that does not work at least you can start focusing on what is particular to that device - there may be workarounds or not.

Douglas Waterfall

Architect, InDesign Engineering

• 2. Re: Which Hebrew fonts are supported in ePub?
            Agapyla Level 1

Oh thanks so much for a detailed answer

I still wonder is there any experience in this issue? Nobody asked these questions before?

I've found, just as you say, by trying a lot of fonts, some ones like Adobe Hebrew or Myriad Hebrew, working good or at least placing different results in exported epub. But it has to be some list of safe-epub-fonts, like we have in web design, hasn't it?

One more thing, I didn't really understand why you speak about character direction in this matter, is there a problem of embedding Hebrew fonts due to character direction?

And I am working in reflow-able layout right now, not fixed.

• 3. Re: Which Hebrew fonts are supported in ePub?
              Ellis home Level 4

This answer was posted by Ariel in the wrong thread. I mentioned to Ariel so he could post it here but I guess he didn't get the message. So I'm just copy/pasting it for you:

[Ariel]Community Member

Just tested, and had no difficulty embedding Fontbit Rokoko into an

ePub. It displayed fine in Readium. Adobe Digital Editions does not

support RTL, so the text was back to front, but there also the font

itself was fine.

I haven't tested in iBooks.

So it seems to me that InDesign has no problem embedding Hebrew fonts in

ePubs -- the problem is more likely to be on the part of the ePub

reader, which is not displaying them properly.

• 4. Re: Which Hebrew fonts are supported in ePub?
                TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks Ellis -- I hadn't noticed that it was the wrong thread! And I

didn't get  your message. (Although if it's in the Forum inbox, I rarely

look there. 95% I'm accessing these forums via email.)

• 5. Re: Which Hebrew fonts are supported in ePub?
                  Agapyla Level 1

Hello Ariel

Thanks for contribution. Can you provide me as much information as you can to locate the problem?

Which device did you use? Which OS?

As I understand you had used just a computer? I have tried now this Readium on my Mac - everything works fine.. every font.. but it's obviously using your computer system fonts, so no surprise every font is supported.

I put same files to iPad 4 (iOS 6) - it shows only difference between regular and italic font type... same on Android device

• 6. Re: Which Hebrew fonts are supported in ePub?

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, with ID 2014 to produce the ePub.

I just created another ePub, using Fontbit Shaked, 4 different weights

(light thru black). I then uninstalled the fonts from my system, and

opened the ePub in Readium. Everything displays fine. (I'll be happy to

send you this ePub to test yourself if you give me your email address.)

So I'm not sure why you're having trouble. Obviously -- you have checked

the option "embed fonts" under the CSS tab in the ePub export dialog, right?

So it seems to me that InDesign has no problems embedding Hebrew fonts

in ePubs. The problem is almost certainly with various ePub readers not

displaying the embedded Hebrew fonts correctly. But as I say, Readium

seems to be working fine in this respect.

• 7. Re: Which Hebrew fonts are supported in ePub?
                      Agapyla Level 1

thanks, i've sent you an email

Interesting try. I don't know what's going on in system after uninstalling fonts... may be it's good sign, may be not enough. Readers certainly have some limitations, or oppositely let an user to change layout too much.

The embedding fonts option is turned on forever.

• 8. Re: Which Hebrew fonts are supported in ePub?

I actually restarted the computer after uninstalling the fonts, just in

case there's some sort of cache that keeps them available! And it still

worked...

• 9. Re: Which Hebrew fonts are supported in ePub?
                          Agapyla Level 1

ok now we have a support from iPad's side as it shows an embedded font correctly.

what is interesting - a new font choice 'Original' has appeared since I uploaded the epub to iBooks.

I'll try to use Indesign 2014.

• 10. Re: Which Hebrew fonts are supported in ePub?
                            Agapyla Level 1

As I expected, Indesign 2014 easily solved my problem, and I've got embedded hebrew fonts at my iPad iBooks.

So pity I didn't try this before, being sure an issue is within font structure or accuracy. But this is just updated Indesign. What has been so improved in new Indesign in font embedding coding?

• 11. Re: Which Hebrew fonts are supported in ePub?
                              Douglas.Waterfall Adobe Employee

Oh, a lot. We've made three releases since CS6 and I forget if it was the first or second that we figured out what iBooks wanted.

Start here: http://t.co/tAfqBoaxj6 which is the 9.2 to 10.0 changes.

On the cover page will be links to the CS6 to CC and CC to 9.2 changes.

If you're still on CS6, then you are missing out on a lot of improvements.

Douglas Waterfall

Architect, InDesign Engineering

• 12. Re: Which Hebrew fonts are supported in ePub?
                                Agapyla Level 1

I've read this, impressive!

I just worked hard with tables in order to set to zero table border size, and so on. It is already fixed in 10.0...

It's a time to push businesses to upgrade software.