7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2014 5:26 AM by modix1

Star rating without Shift

modix1

Hello, is it possible to assign star rating to photos without being obliged to hit the shift key (on a laptop) when selecting 1,2,3...?

For the moment, each time I want to rate a photo I need to hit the Shift key in addition which is not very comfortable when rating a large number of photos.

Any info helps...

• 1. Re: Star rating without Shift
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Switch on Caps Lock, or Photos > Auto Advance

• 2. Re: Star rating without Shift
            modix1 Level 1

Thanks John for your quick reply.

Caps Lock (surprisingly) does not work (am on a Macbook Pro) and AutoAdvance only advances photos when I click on the star rating, so does not seem to have key board functionality (when I use Shift + 1 for example, the next photo does not automatically come up... again pretty weird).

(Adobe Bridge by the way perfectly accepts the 1,2,3... keys without needing to hit the Shift button)

• 3. Re: Star rating without Shift

When Caps Lock is on, you only need to press 0 to 5 and it should advance to the next picture. In this mode, Shift + Number suppresses the auto advance and keeps you on the current picture .

• 4. Re: Star rating without Shift
                modix1 Level 1

Thanks John, it would be fantastic if that worked. Capslock, I tried it right away actually but surprisingly Lightroom would not take it (and makes the difference between Shift + 1 (where it works) and Capslock +1 (where I get a beep and nothing happens). The Autoadvance function only works when I apply the star-rating using the mouse (Shift + 1 does rate the photo, but does not advance to the next one)

Guess there's quite a few bugs in the software... hope for some update soon

Anyway, many thanks, Martin

• 5. Re: Star rating without Shift

Just a thought, what language is your system / Lightroom? I wonder if that may make a difference.

• 6. Re: Star rating without Shift
                    modix1 Level 1

You are spot on. I am in France, using a French keyboard (where the numbers indeed are done with Shift...).

Adobe Bridge realizes that and allows me (in full screen) not to hit Shift (nor Cmd)... Lightroom not... yet (I suppose :-)

Having investigated a bit on different topics I realize that I could do the star rating right on with Lightroom Mobile on my iPhone (and then sync back), that's even easier.

Just tried it out... it works perfectly (for one photo). Now, trying to have that applied to several.

I saw your blog on that topic and will try out the sync software...

Thanks for the great insight

• 7. Re: Star rating without Shift
                      modix1 Level 1

It almost worked... thy sync software looks great... but when I pushed the button to sync it won't allow me to sync from JPG to JPG (what I would like to do just to sync the star ratings)... snif