11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2014 4:28 AM by johnharvey

what is the best macbook pro to buy

johnharvey

my son starts uni soon and needs to know what is the best macbook pro to buy to run the programmes in CC14, especially Ae and premier pro

• 1. Re: what is the best macbook pro to buy
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The most fully loaded MacBookPro Retina display you can afford. I just picked up a new one and it's working perfectly.

• 2. Re: what is the best macbook pro to buy
            cc_merchant Level 4

Something like this (a steal at only $ 6,083):

MBP config.png

• 3. Re: what is the best macbook pro to buy
              JFPhoton Level 3

....in a word....DON'T !!!   Not only do you get WAY more for your money with a Windows laptop.....you avoid all the PROBLEMS people are reporting having trying to use an Apple product with PPro. PPro works BEST with the Windows operating system and a quality, dedicated NVidia graphics card. PPro works best with a machine that can have more than one internal hard dive. If you search the PPro forum, ( the regular forum...not hardware), you will see HORDES of unhappy Apple users, struggling to solve problems....why suffer ??

• 4. Re: what is the best macbook pro to buy
                jasonvp Level 3

johnharvey wrote:

my son starts uni soon and needs to know what is the best macbook pro to buy to run the programmes in CC14, especially Ae and premier pro

Ignore the troll^H^H^H^H^Hnaysayers in this thread and follow Rick's advice: pick up the most expensive one you can afford.  I'd start with the 15" Retina MBP that has the nVidia discrete GPU included.  It comes with 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD (which I personally think is too large).  But it's the only way to get that GPU.  From there, you have to ask yourself if you can afford the bump in price to go from the 2.3GHz CPU to the 2.6GHz one.

He'll want a couple of external drives to go with it if he's going to be doing a lot editing.  Look around for external Thunderbolt enclosures, either single drive units or multi-drive ones.  Obviously: the bigger the enclosure, the less portable it becomes.  But he'll have the option of lots of external storage if he wants.

• 5. Re: what is the best macbook pro to buy
                  JFPhoton Level 3

.....LIKE I SAID......look at the regular PPro forum and SEE the MASSES of people complaining of problems with the Mac operating system trying to use PPro !!!  Why spend THOUSANDS on an INFERIOR machine, with PROBLEMS, when you can get a TOP NVidia GPU, the BEST Windows OS, and MULTIPLE hard drive bays to put SSDs in, for MUCH LESS MONEY !!!?????? The ONLY feature that the Mac touts which is GOOD, is the Thunderbolt port for high speed external storage. a 17" inch screen is easier on the eyes for editing....especially when displaying 1920 x 1080. Windows machines can be found that allow upgrading to 32GB memory, ( great for After Effects), AND containing the BEST NVidia mobile GPUs.

• 6. Re: what is the best macbook pro to buy
                    jasonvp Level 3

JFPhoton wrote:

.....LIKE I SAID......look at the regular PPro forum and SEE the MASSES of people complaining of problems with the Mac operating system trying to use PPro

Engage in hyperbole much?  The main problem, which has been solved by Apple, BTW, is with the new Mac Pro, OpenCL, and the AMD GPUs in that device.  None of these will apply to the OP who is looking at the laptop with an nVidia GPU, with which he can choose to use either CUDA or OpenCL.

• 7. Re: what is the best macbook pro to buy

Price is an apples and oranges comparison. Match the features, processor, memory on an HP or Dell laptop and you will spend as much or more, have a machine that does not hold resale value as well, does not have anywhere near the customer support. The point is, no matter what Mac hatters say, if you match the features exactly and try and match the warranty you will pay the same for a Mac or a PC within a very few dollars.

• 8. Re: what is the best macbook pro to buy
                        cc_merchant Level 4

if you match the features exactly and try and match the warranty you will pay the same for a Mac or a PC within a very few dollars.

Are you from outer space...???

• 9. Re: what is the best macbook pro to buy

No I'm not from outer space. One of my business associates has a Dell laptop and a MacBook Pro R with the same  processor, same ram, approximately the same GPU and  solid state storage, The Dell's screen is not as nice and the battery lasts about half as long. Price difference is less than $200. I won't go into the other differences and I'm through with this argument because there is no point to it.

• 10. Re: what is the best macbook pro to buy
                            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

There are many laptops especially from Clevo and Asus which have far more options internally than you can get in a MacBook Pro. Those options include more storage slots and M-Sata slots for several internal SSD's and storage. Greater amount of ram and CPU options and even Dual GPU cards versus chips graphics. 1 Clevo model even supports Xeon chips in a laptop shell and there are several thunderbolt models out now. The higher end PC laptops are going to be in the same price range as the MacBook Pro's but with better specs. However like anything else the trade off is battery life ie power consumption and portability. The reason the MacBook Pro's have such a good battery life has to do with very significant power management profiles that reflect lowering power/processing states of devices. That is the only way they can achieve the battery life while using the same hardware. If you push a MacBook Pro at a 100% CPU load processing Ae comps then your battery life will shorten significantly until the heat slows the CPU down or the power management slows the processing down to preserve power. In other words there is a trade off for the portability. The benefit of Mac at school is the extra portability and the ability to use both OSX and Windows for different applications. The PC options offer more performance which is preferable for professional work after school depending on the work.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: what is the best macbook pro to buy
                              johnharvey Level 1

Thanks for the advice everyone, we are going for the 15" Retina with the graphics card