8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2015 5:20 PM by thomssond

How do I achieve these tones?

thomssond

Hello,

I am not a pro at photo editing. I know quite a lot and how to get to most styles but it's a style that I still have not cracked how to get to. I love these kinds of pictures, they are so cool o have a great feeling over them.

I could do anything in order to know how to get to these tones and feel, anyone know how to achieve it and maybe even have some presets? I use Lightroom and I think these people do too.

It is difficult to explain how the photos look but when you see the photos you'll see that they have the same style / feel. There is something special about the feel and colors of the entire image.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could explain to me how to achieve it!

Here you have the photos I'm talking about:

http://instagram.com/potatounit

http://instagram.com/trashhand

http://instagram.com/novess

http://instagram.com/mattdoscher

David

Btw I'm swedish therefore my english aren't that great

• 1. Re: How do I achieve these tones?
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It would help if you can explain what it is you like about the look in the linked pictures. Lacking that it's just a guess, but theses images appear to have high contrast and color saturation. Try using other Camera profiles much as Camera Landscape, then try increasing Vibrance and Clarity controls to achieve the desired look. What cameras are you using and do you shoot raw files or just JPEGs?

• 2. Re: How do I achieve these tones?
            thomssond Level 1

I'm using a Fujifilm X-E1 and shoot RAW. The thing I like about the photos is that it sort of have a fade but still are very clear. It's hard to explain. For example all blacks are more gray than white and all whites are kind of gray, if that makes sense. Also, and this propably sounds weird but I don't know how to explosion it but they're almost dark, like they've pulled down the exposure, but they're still light. Sorry for my bad explanation..

• 3. Re: How do I achieve these tones?
              KevetS Level 1

Hi David,

First I should just say that I have no way of knowing if you're a beginner, hobbyist, or professional photographer, so please don't be offended...

My first impressions of the shots you link to are that they were taken by someone who has complete control of his camera and knows how to achieve a desired effect.

The photographers have a good eye and see opportunities where others don't.

I do agree though that they all have benefited from a little or a lot of tinkering: A clever use of sharpness, tone curves, w/b, local adjustments, etc are all evident.

• 4. Re: Re: How do I achieve these tones?
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

thomssond wrote:

I'm using a Fujifilm X-E1 and shoot RAW. The thing I like about the photos is that it sort of have a fade but still are very clear. It's hard to explain. For example all blacks are more gray than white and all whites are kind of gray, if that makes sense. Also, and this propably sounds weird but I don't know how to explosion it but they're almost dark, like they've pulled down the exposure, but they're still light. Sorry for my bad explanation..

What you are seeing in those images is just as KevetS explains. Here's a Basic panel workflow for normal image processing using PV2012 process:

PV2012 Basic Panel Tone Control Adjustment Procedure

Start with all of the Tone controls at their default 0 settings and adjust them from the top-down in the order shown below. You may also want to try using one of the 'Camera' titled profiles rather than just Adobe Standard to help achieve a better "starting point" for the look you want.

1. Set Exposure to correct midtone brightness ignoring the highlight and shadow areas for now. Setting Exposure slightly higher (+.25 to +.50 EV) than what looks correct for the midtones seems to work best with most images.

2. Leave Contrast at 0 for now. It’s usually better to adjust this after the first pass.

3. Adjust Highlights so that blown out areas are recovered and “fine tonal detail” is revealed.

4. Adjust Shadows to reveal fine detail in dark areas. For most normal images simply setting -Shadows = +Highlights (Example -50 and +50) works very well.

5. The Whites control sets the white clipping point, which you can see by holding down the ALT key as you move the slider. Adjust it to the point where you see clipping appear with the ALT key.

6. The Blacks control sets the black clipping point, which you can see by holding down the ALT key as you move the slider. Adjust it to the point where you see clipping appear with the ALT key.

7. Now go back and adjust the Contrast control to establish the best midtone contrast.

8. Lastly touchup the Exposure control for the best midtone brightness.

9. If necessary “touch-up” the controls using the same top-down workflow.

10. Finally to achieve the look in the pictures you described: -Highlight and +Shadow controls provide the ability to "recover" detail in those picture areas. When the Shadow control is pushed higher it will cause the dark areas to appear more gray. So you will want to use a higher +Shadow setting. You may also need to Push the Blacks slider closer to '0' to make them more a dark gray. Next add +Clarity and +Vibrance, which will raise micro-contrast and color to achieve the look you describe. To achieve even more control you can use the Tone Curve, but it's not normally required with most images when using PV2012.

Having a better understanding of what each control does and how they interact is key to mastering LR's Develop module.

• 5. Re: How do I achieve these tones?
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Looking at this image and concentrating on the way the water turns to gray in the foreground:  http://instagram.com/p/oecetVF_Nz/?modal=true

Here is a tone-curve adjustment in LR that will do this -- drag the bottom left black point up and to the right by the same amount, which makes everything darker than the threshold pure gray but not changing the overall contrast of what is brighter than the threshold:

2014-07-07_094513.png

If you want to fade things but keep the detail darker than the threshold then keep the point at the left just drag up:

2014-07-07_095104.png

Obviously you can do a combination of these two things where you drag up and then over by a different amount, or do the adjustments differently for different RGB color channels.  Just don't get carried away, make the effect subtle so it's hard to tell what is done.

• 6. Re: How do I achieve these tones?
                    thomssond Level 1

Thank you! Great explanation. I will try this out and experiment a bit myself.

• 7. Re: How do I achieve these tones?
                      thomssond Level 1

Thank you. I've tried to play a bit with the Tone Curve before but never manage to make it look good. I'll try this!

• 8. Re: How do I achieve these tones?
                        thomssond Level 1

Moderator please delete this thread.